Review JE Made Lanny's clip and Zulu folders

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Brief review of this JE Made Lanny's clip folder, fit and finish are very well done. Blade grind is uniform and I was glad to see that the thickness behind the edge was not as thick as I had hear others make mention of. Mine measures about .020" which isn't razor thinness but still cutting well.

Closed it measure just over 3 3/4"

with an S35vn blade length of 3 1/8" long and a smidge over 2mm thick at the spine

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

I haven't made a sheath yet, as it just arrived, but JE Made provides a zippered pouch with belt loops, but to keep the knife secure during carry, I added a small lanyard that you slip up and behind your belt so that the knot prevents it from slipping down until you pull it and open the pouch.

by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Now the pull on the blade is QUITE strong, I would say an 8 or 9 and I pinch it open not using my thumb nail. But that does provide a solid working knife once open. And there is a half stop as well and the back spring is flush in all three positions. Nicely done!

G2

That looks like a great example of a "modern" slipjoint. I look forward to follow up comments as you use it. By the way what kind of price on those?

I took some material off the backspring of mine to reduce the pull to a manageable level, and also elongated the opening groove. And jigged the scales and added a slight swedge b/c mine was unswedged. They are very nicely made! Not sure of current prices, around $175?

That probably helped a lot with the pull for sure! but I'll leave mine alone as I do like the very strong back spring, as long as I can pinch grip it open.

As to pricing they do frown on listing prices and they are prone to change over the months and years a thread exists so just best to google your favourite online dealer and @Jordan@DLT Trading carries a line of them now.

G2

A friend at work talked me out of the Lanny's Clip as I now carry the JE Made Zulu which I do prefer more with it's lower tip style and also hidden lanyard pin makes it very nice. Edge arrived sharp and fairly thin grind similar to the Lanny's clip. Pull I would rate about the same as the Lanny's clip, very stout but with the slot in the blade more towards the tip it provides the mechanical advantage and you can open the blade a bit easier. The back spring is also flush in all three positions as well, very thought out design on this one as well. Even with it being Titanium it is still pretty hefty, I don't have any scales but it feels lighter than the other, but not overly so that it is much of a concern, at least to me :)

This makes the 4th JE Made folder that I have had come through the household, everyone I was impressed at the attention to detail, these are very well made knives and would recommend them to anyone. And no, I am not affiliated nor have I received anything from them for this review, just my honest opinion.

The scales are very textured and provide a great tactile grip in use

IMG_7381 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7375 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7377 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7378 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7380 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Thanks to DavidZ DavidZ for this folder, kind enough to send her my way and I hope that she sticks around a very long time!
G2

Back