Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

Here is an old thread I posted on the Cutco warranty. It may be of interest in that a long-running business was able to maintain a quite comprehensive warranty.

Best wishes to HI in striking a balance that continues to highlight the integrity of the kamis of Nepal and the quality of their work.

However I have a super beefy 23.75" Chiruwa Chitlangi that can pretty much keep up with my AK.

That they are not mentioned as heavy users such as the AK, M43, Ganga Ram, etc... bothers me.

But I will await what Ms Yangdu has to say.

The CHIRUWA is specifically referred to along with the AK and Ganga Ram as "designed specifically for chopping" and thus "may be covered under our LIMITED WARRANTY."

I wouldn't worry about it too much. These limitations seem more for the benefit of those individuals trying to run a scam or thinking that after they try to chop through a brick wall they can get a free replacement. Khukris are great, but they are not light sabers. You cannot chop down a steel utility pole with one.

It is fact that, if you set out to break something, you can break it. These guys shouldn't be covered in the warranty. Without naming names, you know who I'm talking about. I can break just about anything I set my mind to. My old boss was fond of telling me I could "[mess] up an anvil with rubber mallet." Setting out with the obvious intent of destroying something, and then taking advantage of the warranty generosity of the manufacturer, is WRONG, and that's what Yangdu seems to be trying to prevent here. Good for her. This is a shining example of the stupidity of a few screwing up a good thing for everyone. I can't, in this forum, fully express my opinion of these people.

Hey guys and gals .... why don't we wait and continue this once we see the warranty in full? It's YANGDU, fer chrissakes. She's not going to screw us. Just breathe, send some smoke, and wait.

My 2 cents, forgive if I'm speaking out of turn.

Mack

If HI Khuks are only meant to be wall-hangers, why not just buy a cheap piece of garbage that looks nice? No need to pay HI dollar for a knife you can't use, right?

Common Sense ain't common. Yangdu and HI are just protecting themselves in this market where every mook that thinks he has a loophole will exploit it to get themselves something for nothing.

You have to remember that HI used to be sold via magazine ads. The volume was lower, and second hand blades were tougher to come by. If you want to blame someone, blame ebay and all the brilliant mouth-breathers that use it to abuse ANY old school warranty. It goes something like this. Customer A buys a full price AK for $150 dollars. He uses it for a few years and decides to sell it on Ebay (fair enough). Mr. Slimeball Cheat (MSC) buys a fantastic knife with many, many years of service left in it for 35 dollars shipped. Instead of being happy with his prize, MSC knowing about the awesome warranty puts the AK in a vice and uses an 8' steel pipe to break the blade at the tang. MSC then sends the blade back to Yangdu for a brand new blade. He gets a $150 AK for $35 and a little sweat.

HI's quality is NOT slipping. Their customer base is simply growing. When you grow your customer base, you must also put measures in place to deal with idiots and cheats. Yangdu is running a business, and this business must turn a profit to survive. In order to turn a profit, it has to have boundaries as to what it can and cannot absorb. I will be willing to bet every khuk that I own that if a warranty issue arises, Yangdu will not only handle it fairly but will probably err on the side of customer.

Last edited:
I am relatively new to HI, I own a BAS, 20" CAK and a 30" Sirupati, however this change does not effect me. Living in Canada, It is very hard to ship knives back into the US, so I don't bother with it. Too much of a headache for me. Owning an HI khukuri is more of a luxury for me and I will continue to do business with HI.

If one of my HI khukuris were to break, I'd would just buy a new one.

Last edited:
Well, shows how well they stand behind their work. Buy Busse Combat, they stand behind their knives.

I am probably the newest member on this great forum, and have spent the last week doing as much research as possible on the knife I was considering (Chiruwa AK). I decided to purchase one after several e-mails, and conversations (on the phone ) with Yangdu. My decision was not ONLY based on the warranty, but the honesty and integrity I felt while talking to her, she provided the type of customer service that is almost unheard of in todays business world. So even though I am saddened by the need to change the warranty I do understand why it is necessary. I am still very excited about receiving my first HI AK ( 15.5 inch 29 ounce Chiruwa Ang Khola by Sgt. Khadka. Satisal wood handle traditional style white metal bolster, buttcap and scabbard tip). I will cherish it, and use it as it was intended to be used. And if some where along the way it breaks while being used responsibly, Im sure the honesty and integrity I felt while communicating with Yangdu will still be right there.

BUT, from what I've seen on the forum over the past few months, it looked like a few noobs and lurkers thought it would be a brilliant idea to TAKE ADVANTAGE of said warranty by purchasing old HI khuks off eBay, deliberately damaging them, and getting new replacements which could then be resold . . . but that is admittedly speculation. And now I see some more noobs complaining and criticizing the necessary and reasonable steps HI has taken to protect itself from FRAUD

That makes more sense. People who do that should be ashamed. I've heard of people buying things which were already unservicable to have them fixed under warranty, when the original owner is unaware of the warranty or doesn't want the hassle (like Taurus guns, before their CS started to suck). But breaking something on purpose is just ridiculous.

I just hope the new policy doesn't make it harder for a newbie to get something replaced, as I really do believe that these knives should stand up to limited impacts on hard stuff. Destructive testing and purposely cutting through concrete shouldn't be considered normal use, absolutely (and I bet you the guy on Youtube didn't ask for a free knife after breaking it). But, you'll notice in some of the pictures on the website, the Kamis used a plain old concrete block as a backstop behind the neck, when sacrificing a goat. If the guys who make these aren't particularly shy about the possibility of an edge impact on concrete, that speaks volumes about what they expect them to be able to endure.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/Ceremony.htm

In fact, it looks like the blade did make a good sized nick in the concrete.

Not arguing with anyone in particular, or anything like that. It's just, an HI khukuri is the one heavy chopping blade that I don't have to go "oh no, I can't chop that, what if I hit a nail?" (actually did hit a nail at least once, didn't even notice until I looked at the wood later and found two halves of a nail; not a trace of a nick on the blade), or "what if I chop through it and hit a rock?" etc. Part of that is because these things are hell for stout, and part of it is because of the warranty. I'd rather not have either of those factors change.

Last edited:
Well, shows how well they stand behind their work. Buy Busse Combat, they stand behind their knives.

Do NOT turn this into a Busse/HI pissing match. HI and Busse both serve a purpose and fill a niche. Both companies have the utmost respect for one another. You are not helping the situation.

This seems to be a case where a whole lot of people simply want to act out, and are coming onto this forum to do so, even if they have no investment in the matter. Don't honor their wishes: ignore trolls.

First. there is no organization, maker, or distributor I trust more than I trust Himalayan Imports, and Yangdu. I felt the same of Bill Martino, who is still here in my opinion.

Second. There have always been those who abuse and then ask for warranty replacement from H.I. I rehabbed a BAS that was the "final straw" in one abuser's history with Bill M. Bill would not sell him any more khuks. I cleaned it up and swapped with Sarge, as I recall. Still a perfect instrument. I believe Sarge sent it off with a troop to Astan. There will always be folks who exploit good policy.

Third. I read names I don't recognize pontificating about how awful this policy is. Might I suggest you develop some history before you start making implications about change in service? You may look back and read your posts with the same reaction to them as I have now.

Fourth. Each situation is unique. Please do not attempt to generalize about a warranty policy of which you have just heard, and with which you have no first-person experience. It is bad logic and poor judgment.

Fifth. An articulated policy of warranty has come to be deemed necessary. That is a good thing. Generations change, people leave, die, move on to other interests...what was once understood now needs to be stated. Clear terms for today and tomorrow hurt no one.

Kis
enjoy every sandwich

Honestly, it is very easy to tell a defective, broken item from a misused/abused broken one.

This change will make very little difference to honest buyers but will hopefully help Yangdu avoid abuse and misuse of her kind and generous soul by scoundrels who try to take advantage of her.

Khukuris shouldn't be used to chop bricks or rocks, shouldn't be thrown, shouldn't be driven over by a vehicle, thrown off a cliff or any number of common sense sacrileges.

So yea, I am totally new around here. My black blade villager by Sgt is still being shipped and I can't wait to get it. I would say the fact that the old idealistic HI warranty lasted as long as it did is a testament to their dedication to standing behind their blades. If after all this time HI decides to update the warranty to account for a few shady characters, who is this guy to make an outright disgusting and ignorant comment such as this. Using this discussion forum to simultaneously spread ignorant bullshit and pimp your incredibly expensive and soulless blades is just about as low as low gets. I'll just finish by saying that you, Gerber are a low and pathetic form of life along the lines of the kind of people who abused the HI policy.

Absolutely unacceptable to bash another manufacturer's product in its own subforum. What were you thinkiing?

Do NOT turn this into a Busse/HI pissing match. HI and Busse both serve a purpose and fill a niche. Both companies have the utmost respect for one another. You are not helping the situation.
Thanks! (As usual!) :D

So yea, I am totally new around here. My black blade villager by Sgt is still being shipped and I can't wait to get it. I would say the fact that the old idealistic HI warranty lasted as long as it did is a testament to their dedication to standing behind their blades. If after all this time HI decides to update the warranty to account for a few shady characters, who is this guy to make an outright disgusting and ignorant comment such as this. Using this discussion forum to simultaneously spread ignorant bullshit and pimp your incredibly expensive and soulless blades is just about as low as low gets. I'll just finish by saying that you, Gerber are a low and pathetic form of life along the lines of the kind of people who abused the HI policy.
Please re-read Steely_Gunz's post above. Do not insult other members or their choice in bladecraft. It does not make your house more beautiful to burn your neighbor's house down.

One poster's error in courtesy does not justify a response in kind !!!

Read the FAQ, I mean it.

Speaking of "disgusting and ignorant", you might want to read what you just wrote. Lashing out against other brands out of your own ignorance is the same sort of trolling we don't need.

Back