Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

I'll accept we cross-posted, Rat, but I really really want this personal sniping to end now.

If it helps, I have been working on a scale of 1-5 evaluating various khukuri designs to rate them from "purely weapon" to "purely tool" based on my own experiences with ones I own, ones I've handled which are owned by others, and by comparing the blade styles of the different ones I've seen on here and reading what the owners have to say about them.

Keep in mind it is based solely on the the design alone. For example we all know the Ang Khola is the power chopper, but odds are pretty good a 30" Sirupati will certainly out chop a 15" Ang Khola.

Likewise it would be unrealistic to expect a 20" Kobra to out chop a 16" Chiruwa Ang Khola.

You have to pick the right tool for the job.

IMO I think there's a degree of fraudulent behavior out there trying to take advantage of HI but I think there's also a lot of people out there new to khukuris who get one and try to bite off more than it can chew simply because they don't know any better and they've probably been influenced by certain videos on the net where this guy puts a knife in a vise, hits it with a sledgehammer and declares it junk because it breaks.:rolleyes:

I want to clarify that my statement:
Might as well say "our knives are crap, don't buy them."
did not imply that I think HI are junk, I know they are quality from personal experience. That is simply the message one without knowledge of the brand might glean from the wording. I think it could use a rewrite, was my point.

I'll accept we cross-posted, Rat, but I really really want this personal sniping to end now.

:thumbup:

there is no organization, maker, or distributor I trust more than I trust Himalayan Imports, and Yangdu.

Kis
enjoy every sandwich

You said exactly my thought minus the expletives. Anybody who knows Yangdu and the serious spiritual nature of the kamis work knows the truth of this. These are Great Blades at an awesome prices with the finest personal customer service you'll find anywhere. Anywhere.
Sorry, but some of the comments in this thread have really pissed me off.
Thanks Kis for your rational response.

Likewise it would be unrealistic to expect a 20" Kobra to out chop a 16" Chiruwa Ang Khola.

You have to pick the right tool for the job.

IIRC, the lightweight Kobra and Snake were never covered under the warranty, as they were specifically designed as martial art weapons and never intended to chop anything, even brush. The Sirupati and all other khuks and knives were covered against breakage.

I've got an old 22" Chainpuri that is probably somewhere between a Sirupati and a Chitilangi. I purchased it well used as the 3rd or 4th owner for the specific purpose of beating the hell out of it. If it breaks I would not expect it to be covered under warranty, nor would I ask. Think I paid $70 for it, shipped.

I bought HI because I heard they where the best. Didn´t know about the warranty and don´t care abut it now.

Don´t think I will break my 30" sirupati or Tarwar :D

did not imply that I think HI are junk, I know they are quality from personal experience. That is simply the message one without knowledge of the brand might glean from the wording. I think it could use a rewrite, was my point.

Agreed. This is parallel to another problem people face when they come to HI from some video or buy one without ever coming to the forums here. The safety factor, which is in large part, the proper way to use the khukuris. Besides extensive threads, we have a stickie that outlines the right way to handle these very large heavy knives. People outside our community aren't exposed to this knowledge base.

Taking any brief statement, even in writing, out of context is probably going to miss much of its intended impact.

Speaking of "disgusting and ignorant", you might want to read what you just wrote. Lashing out against other brands out of your own ignorance is the same sort of trolling we don't need.
First of all, I wasn't trolling for lulz. It was not my intent to offend anyone but Gerber. That last post was my genuine reaction to his post. I guess he could have been trolling and I fell for it (doh!). Reading what I just wrote, the bit about Busse being overpriced and soulless was uncalled for, but I would say my lashing out was directed more towards gerber the individual than the brand we was repping. I guess I just added the bit about Busse because it seems absurd to me to compare the two companies and their warranties. I mean, to take a company like Busse which makes their blades in "a very modernized and highly automated production facility" then comparing it to a company like HI, whose blades are generally made by one guy and his assistant(s) who spent hours and hours in a smallish room with only the most basic of tools crafting a hand made work of art, such a comparison seems audacious at best. I guess soulless just struck me as an apt description of something made on and assembly line, high quality or not.

IIRC, the lightweight Kobra and Snake were never covered under the warranty, as they were specifically designed as martial art weapons and never intended to chop anything, even brush. The Sirupati and all other khuks and knives were covered against breakage.

I've got an old 22" Chainpuri that is probably somewhere between a Sirupati and a Chitilangi. I purchased it well used as the 3rd or 4th owner for the specific purpose of beating the hell out of it. If it breaks I would not expect it to be covered under warranty, nor would I ask. Think I paid $70 for it, shipped.

I think what I'm getting at is this:

I love my chitlangis. I consider them the perfect balance between tool and weapon. But if I'm going to be doing some heavy duty chopping, I reach for my very first HI Khukuri - a 20" AK by Kami Kumar. My Chitlangis are great cutters but I know that AK is better, especially for a large task. If I'm going to be slaying some multiflora rose, that wicked fast 20.25" Bura-made Sirupati I have is the best one I have for that job. For general use, everything in between,I have chitlangis.

What I liked about the former HI guarantee is that it gave me the ability to test my khukuris before I took one out in the woods for a few miles. It game me peace of mind to test each one to make sure there were no flaws or weaknesses in it, so I could absolute faith in it when I am way out there in the woods. I never expected HI to just give me a brand new khukuri if I did something silly like hacking up a brick with one.

Now, I guess I'm not fully clear on what the new warranty is. If it is as simple as HI reserving the right to determine if a broken khukuri was damaged by intentional abuse instead of just merely replacing it for any reason, I'm good with that. I don't abuse my khukuris. There are some I use harder than others, but I keep my expectations of their performance realistic. I'm still a bit new to HI having first bought one in 2005, but in all my dealings with Ms Yangdu, she has always struck me as being very honest.

From my understanding of the first post of this thread, it seems like only a few models now are going be considered real tools/choppers and all others will be considered display models. Seeing how my favorite khukuri - the chitlangi - is not on that list of "real choppers"... that bothers me.

If I have misunderstood this, then by all means someone please clarify.

If HI Khuks are only meant to be wall-hangers, why not just buy a cheap piece of garbage that looks nice? No need to pay HI dollar for a knife you can't use, right?
Please Don't come here from other forums, just to stir the pot with offhand comments.

Every H.I. blade is a servicable khukuri and can be used if the need arises, Which is not to say that every khukuri should be used for rough tasking and hard labor, Some are meant for certain tasks and others are made to show off.
The reason we would still pay H.I. top dollar for a "Wall Hanger" as you say is: H.I. "wallhangers" are Twice as pretty and Thrice as tough as anyone elses, Their Hard use khukuri have no equal. Because we know the Dharma path that Uncle Bill followed and each and every one at Himalayan Imports follows. We Trust them not only as customers, but as friends, as they do us.
And we know by doing so, our hard earned cash goes to Aid the Kami's, Keep H.I. running and in some way helps the good hardworking peoples of Nepal.

This is a scan of the warranty I was sent with the last package I received:

Page 1:
HI_Warranty_Page1.png

Page 2:
HI_Warranty_Page2.png

I'm quite happy with these terms.

See? I don't see anything to worry about. We KNOW Yangdu will still care of those she feels worthy, and now our friends at HI have the legal leeway to protect themselves.

If anyone has a favorite khuk that's not on here, you're in luck! It's Himalayan Imports, where customers are not only allowed to offer suggestions and opinions, they are ENCOURAGED. You make a good case, I'm sure Yangdu will see it.

I submit that this warranty is WIN.

My 2 cents.

Mack.

It certainly leaves room for the normal process of testing the new blade. There are actually very few sold specifically as collectors. The list of those under warranty includes "and any others that were designed specifically for chopping".

Yeah, that warranty is fine. It's nowhere near as poorly worded as the topic post made it sound.

been wanting a khuk for over a year, this hasnt changed my opinion of them or how much i want one.. if anything, good warranty, if i broke a khuk and knew it was my fault, even with the old warranty i wouldnt try to abuse it and get a new one, i'd just buy another and treat it a little better :)

Yeah, that warranty is fine. It's nowhere near as poorly worded as the topic post made it sound.

Yep. There is a huge difference between the following.

"All Khukuri Knives that are sold from Himalayan Imports are NOT to be used for chopping or swinging at any wood or hard objects.

All Khukuri Knives that are sold from Himalayan Imports as “COLLECTOR” or “ITEM OF INTEREST” are NOT to be used for chopping or swinging at any metal, wood, or hard objects.

Back