Jerks who abuse HI warranty suck

Thanks to everyone for the replies to my query.

Now just have to wait until my Visa is resuscitated. :(

Doc

I don't know your environment but Canada generally might well need a khukuri of this weight. You could also consider somewhat lighter and more easily carried standards like the British Army Service.

We Canucks usually carry a heavy chopper in case of Ent attack, and a Bilton or Kobra to defend against garbage bees. :D

You're weighing yourselves down unnecessarily. A Kagas Katne will take care of the garbage bees.

Do you favor maple handles?;)

Yes especially for those designated to back-bacon cutting duty! (waves flag)

You're weighing yourselves down unnecessarily. A Kagas Katne will take care of the garbage bees.

Yes, though there's a certain psychological comfort in having a big, burly Bilton on your belt when you hear that fateful buzzing...

...but in case the bees win (and they often do) we have a tube of "swath" handy. :D

Jim, I do have one bone of contention with this: the recommended testing procedure says to drive the point into a log and pry sideways to make were the heat treat is good. So, if one broke like that, would it not be warrantied, even though it's part of the test procedure?

From the main H.I. URL's sales site on Yahoo, is this description of the Chiruwa Ang Khola:

Chiruwa Ang Khola

Between 16 and 17 inches overall, 3/8+ inches thick, about 1.75 pounds. Heavy duty knife. If you can break it we'll send you two free. A good chopper and substitute prybar.

http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/changkh.html

Yeah, that Yahoo store site ain't been updated in a long time.

Truly! That's been up there forever. (I bet Uncle Bill wrote that too.)

The printed warranty included with the blades is specific.

But, that old website should probably be changed.....;)

As a prybar it's pretty good as long as you do not use it to pry a vise open, helped by a hammer. :)

if i can break my cak in prybar mode with my less than beefy arms then there is a serious problem with it...otherwise i see the new warranty being an out in a case of questionable damage with most issues being resolved with the service and honor we are used to...over 25 khuk and never an issue but i also dont use my 30 inch kobra to chop concrete or others for uses they arent suitable for...

15 June 2009

Okay guys enough BS regarding the HI WARRANTY! Yangdu made it clear if you "abuse" ANY KHUKURI, you can VOID the warrany. I use my BILTONG in the Kitchen, not for opening up a wall or car door! I've used my ANGKHOLA with 18" blade to break a window on car in a Junk yard. And my KOTHIMODA is for "display", and I don't plan to use it for "ANY" reason at all! And if I take my TARWAR out into the field, I know that it will work just great on tall grass, weeds and small tree limbs, NOT A 3-foot diameter TREE! If I break my HI KHUKURI, it is MY OWN FAULT! I know that Yangdu will help me find another KHUKURI to replace the one that "I" broke on my OWN! I pay for it, and "TRY" not to break the next KHUKURI that I get! Yangdu has gone out of her way to make "everyone" happy with the "many" different KHUKURI's that she brings into the USA. Some are for "display", others can be used to chop, cut grass or small limbs, and cut meat or veggies in the Kitchen or give some body a swift chop on there body! NOBODY is PERFECT, including including myself! So please do not blame YANGDU for trying to make the FACTORY Warranty work for EVERYONE! I have spent "THOUSANDS" of dollar with YANGDU and HIMALAYAN IMPORTS and the SERVICE has been "EXCELLENT"!!! And, I will continue to buy from YANGDU until I find out otherwise. Remember you can fly to KATMANDU ($3000) and buy a $15.00 Tourist type KHUKURI, when it breaks, are you going to spend another $3000 to replace! If someone is really "dissatisfied" with there HI KHUKURI, I want to hear from YOU, and find out WHY you are not HAPPY with the KHUKURI that you purchased from HI and YANGDU!

Donald,
BLADESWEST

Actually, I can't figure out how folks can manage to break their HI's... unless they set out to do so intentionally. I beat the holy heck out of these things & have yet to see a failure. Don't think twice about using my R-10 to open cans or cut through sheet metal. Hacked down trees with my Tarwar. These are the toughest dang things around... you gotta be some kinda whack job on a mission to actually break an HI....

Actually, I can't figure out how folks can manage to break their HI's... unless they set out to do so intentionally. I beat the holy heck out of these things & have yet to see a failure. Don't think twice about using my R-10 to open cans or cut through sheet metal. Hacked down trees with my Tarwar. These are the toughest dang things around... you gotta be some kinda whack job on a mission to actually break an HI....

Cho + Bad Heat Treat = Snap.;)

Otherwise, yes, they are indestructible... handles aside that is.

Email sent on warranty scan!

Actually, the scan may be distorted. We should probably all view an actual copy in person. The best way I can think of for that is for everyone on the thread to order a new Khukuri!

At least that's the reasoning I plan on using with the Mrs's!

Dear friends and customers to HI and Kamis, I would like to thank you all for your kind suggestions, comments and supports.
I will post HI copy of Limited Lifetime Warranty shortly.
Form today we will send all HI customers the new Limited Lifetime Warranty with their Knife/Sword purchase.

Spoken with elegance from the lady herself. Please see the new sticky.

Cho + Bad Heat Treat = Snap.;)

Upon re-reading my comments.... they seem a bit accusatory. I should have just said that in my experience, HI's get tougher use than any other brand of blade & hold up like a champ. There.... that sounds better!

What i'd like to know is how they broke an Ang Khola with "normal use"... Seriously, i've personally driven a half ton TRUCK over my Chiruwa Ang Khola and it BARELY flexed. I shudder to think what i'd have to do to break the thing... And besides, ive always assumed that this warranty was ONLY for khuks that didn't stand up for what they were designed for.. If i wedged the blade in a block of wood and it bent when i was trying to lever the wood apart, sure, i'd try to claim the warranty. It couldnt do what it was supposed to. But if i drove, say, a half ton truck over it, and it bent, then i wouldnt expect ANY warranty to cover it. I messed up and broke my knife doing something it wasnt meant to do, so i should have to go buy a NEW knife.

If someone abused that, they shouldnt be refunded in any way...

Obviously they took that "IF you can break it we will send you two" to heart and wanted two CAKs and only wanted to pay for one. Dipsticks is what they would be called round these parts.
Sad to hear, the only HI I ever handled was built like a bank safe, and I immagine that I could have broken it with a vice and a sledgehammer. I never would have done that and expected Yangdu to replace it, let alone with two of anything.
Sad Sad Sad

Chuck

Honestly, sounds like that was the result of poor form, not because of what was being chopped. There's a video on Youtube of a 12" AK being used to chop through a 2" thick slab of concrete. No chips, just a slight tear at some point from poor form and hitting the concrete where the edge is a little softer.

Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChlY1GqRE78

Things like bricks are less forgiving of form, but whacking a piece of wood can also bend or tear a blade if your form is bad.

Not that I advocate chopping bricks or anything like that, it's still a really bad idea. It just can be done without edge damage if you know what you're doing. I have split concrete blocks with a cheap axe before, while removing the posts for an old chain link fence. The axe didn't suffer anything that didn't file out in about 5 minutes.

About the only "test" that an HI blade will do terrible at is the ridiculous vise bending "test." Which is absolutely idiotic. Any historical blade will also bend and take a set if you did that (and the high-quality katanas that are actually meant for cutting things are also actually known--among those who actually use them instead of the 13-year-old fanboy market--for bending and taking a set if your form is off). Working and combat blades were tempered stiff, so they wouldn't flex or vibrate while hitting things. But then at some point, some enterprising, dishonest businessman decided that being able to bend the blade and have it return true is a good thing, thus modern sword repros tend to be flexible and whippy, more like a tape measure than a sword, and totally unsuitable for hard use.

I went and watched this video. It was painful to watch someone abuse this knife in such a manner, especially knowing that it takes the kamis an entire day just to make one knife! I think a knife should only be used in that way if it is necessary to save someone's life. to me, it is disrespectful of the time and craft of the kamis.

Back