Jerry, Amy, Garth, Busse crew? A question regarding Nuclear Option F-16s...

hookahhabib

Gold Member
Hey Jerry Busse Jerry Busse , @Amy-0 and @Garth Reckner -- sorry to tag you for this but I have a legitimate question about the Nuclear Option F-16 and with the clock ticking, as well as the nature of my question, posting it seemed like a good way to go.

I am 100% IN on a competition finish F16 and the Nuclear Option sounds mighty tempting but I have one concern: I have as strong of a preference and LOVE for canvas & linen micarta as I do have a strong aversion to G10 and paper micarta. Almost every single Busse I have ever purhcased has had micarta and not G10 for this reason.

Is there ANY possible way for those of us choosing the Nuclear option to at least have the ability to select between micarta or G10 handle material surprise? Grab bag mystery randomness is totally fine with me otherwise, it sounds fun. I love the idea of getting surprised with random micarta that's been sitting around the shop - that ALONE is well worth the extra $150 to me. That said, I'd be really let down if I ended up spending that extra money to end up with a G10 handle.

I know it's last minute, but is there any way we can select the Nuclear Option and then maybe write "Micarta" "G10" "Surprise me, no preference at all" in the order info box?

No worries either way, I'll be fine getting a normal competition finish F16 with standard micarta...would be REALLY cool though, if we could get at least some say as to G10 or Micarta surprise for the Nuclear F-16's.

So what do you say guys? Is there anything we can do to go Nuclear and still accomodate our preferences for either G10 or Micarta?

Thanks for hearing me out!

So... you want the statement changed from "NO CHOICE" to "NO CHOICE (unless you don't like some of the possible options, in which case we'll let you narrow it down to just the stuff you like)"?
If you can't handle the possibility of getting something you dislike, the grab bag type options aren't for you. It's why I have mostly avoided such options over the years.

So... you want the statement changed from "NO CHOICE" to "NO CHOICE (unless you don't like some of the possible options, in which case we'll let you narrow it down to just the stuff you like)"?
If you can't handle the possibility of getting something you dislike, the grab bag type options aren't for you. It's why I have mostly avoided such options over the years.

I totally hear what you're saying. And you make sense kind of, but is it really that unreasonable for us to express our micarta or G10 preferences and then let the Wauseon Crew separate them from there? I'm no expert on their production flow, but isn't easier to separate Nuclear Option F-16 orders into two simple groups of "Micarta preferred" or "G10 preferred" as indicated by what the customer puts in order notes?

Some people don't care.

And others do...My love for Busse's nice micarta is such that I would HAPPILY pay the extra $150 for that alone, just to know that I'd be getting a special, less common Busse linen Micarta on my special F16...having to spend that money on a gamble that could very likely land G10 scales instead, a feature that I actually Don't Like at all on almost ANY of my Busse knives...well, it makes me think to just omit the Nuclear option...I really don't want to do that, but I'd be so gutted if I ended up springing extra to end up with scales that I'll now be rushing to swamp out...ya know what I mean?

Between the weigh differences, the aesthetic appeal, and the absolutely wonderful physical sensation of of increased grip on micarta scales....well, that is absolutely essential to me- Not to be melodramatic, but as an INFI collector, and collector of Busse and Kin, I generally do everything I can to avoid G10 scales (even if their higher price makes them a "premium option" ) that stuff is meaningless to me because micarta is just that much better and grippier.

I feel the same way about Micarta vs. G10.
Hey BroMigo! I had a feeling you were one of those who would care about the option.

And thanks for speaking up as well V vkp78 (PS bro, send me text tomorrow! we should talk ASAP!)

Just curious about both of you guys - do you think the idea of specifying "micarta surprise" or "G10 surprise" in the extra order notes would be a fair and simple enough way to avoid a total mess at the shop?

As I'm imagining it, they'd need to take a rough inventory of micarta and G10 appropriately sized for these F16s and then from there establish the limits of "For the Nuclear option we have 17 possible micarta handles - anyone beyond that 17 entries is waiting list" And then same kind of deal for those wanting G10.

Maybe there's a better way to run it but that's the first that comes to my mind.

I guess we'll see what the Boss Man and his fantastic crew ends up deciding for us F16 Fiends!

I'm one that cares about the handles on my knives...so I accept the terms, as stated (no choice), and move on.
but isn't easier to separate Nuclear Option F-16 orders into two simple groups of "Micarta preferred" or "G10 preferred" as indicated by what the customer puts in order notes?
In a word, No. How can you possibly think it would be easier to go from the established "NO CHOICE" to "Choose 1 from the list of possible materials". Keep in mind that micarta and g10 are not necessarily the only options - Jerry's own words suggest the could be others. There could be wood, resin, etc, in addition to g-rexed scales.
If a choice is offered between micarta and g10, why can't there be a choice for the other options? (because you only care about g10 vs micarta?) Where's the convenience/benefit to the shop in conceding? And from there, how long until somebody (like you, perhaps) decides I really appreciate that I get to choose micarta... but I really really really don't like the look of natural - how about you let us state a preference of black or green? That wouldn't be so hard, would it? And it would make me soooooo happy.

For the record, I don't care how this turns out, as I'm not buying...and I certainly don't speak for the shop. I was just amused & decided to chime in. Enjoy your F16s, regardless of the options you choose/get :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm one that cares about the handles on my knives...so I accept the terms, as stated (no choice), and move on.

In a word, No. How can you possibly think it would be easier to go from the established "NO CHOICE" to "Choose 1 from the list of possible materials". Keep in mind that micarta and g10 are not necessarily the only options - Jerry's own words suggest the could be others. There could be wood, resin, etc, in addition to g-rexed scales.
If a choice is offered between micarta and g10, why can't there be a choice for the other options? (because you only care about g10 vs micarta?) Where's the convenience/benefit to the shop in conceding? And from there, how long until somebody (like you, perhaps) decides I really appreciate that I get to choose micarta... but I really really really don't like the look of natural - how about you let us state a preference of black or green? That wouldn't be so hard, would it? And it would make me soooooo happy.

For the record, I don't care how this turns out, as I'm not buying...and I certainly don't speak for the shop. I was just amused & decided to chime in. Enjoy your F16s, regardless of the options you choose/get :thumbsup:

Green. I'm in for green! :D:D:D:D

Since it's been asked, & with no nuke option with choosing our own on such a cool model... Boss makes the rules, no worries, but I am another who'd happily pay g-10 price on a micarta lottery option...just sayin'. If not, then I'm boned lol, and will just go with a regular CF & micarta F16... In either way. :thumbsup:

I appreciate your opinion here, but ultimate it's meaningless as only the fine people at Busse are in a position to best answer that question.

I made it a point to leave two very clearn and disting groups, easily separated and with randomization still maintained within each category. And like I said in the original post, it's all good, etierh way - no harm in asking. You're right that Jerry implied there could be other materials - I don't know how they are doing the randomization, so I have no means of knowing how other materials woudl factor into it. I don't thing any of us have issue with natural materials...my question was about micarta or g10, both of which still seem to have at least a few different options within each category of material.

Ever since my first days lurking this forum over 10 years ago, I've had a huge love and appreciation for the beautiful and unique micarta and milling patters that come with Busse knives. I have bought knives specifically because of the micarta that was used...it's one aspect of these knives that I love and frankly I care about it to at least ask. it's been years since they've offered any linen micarta or tiger hide micarta or any micarta besides their normal production selections (nothing wrong with them!).

And in regards to your hypothetical scenarios, featuring hypothetical me, then bugging them for more specific requests....hahaha what a joke! If you had any clue and knew me at all, or spoke with makers that I've dealt with in the past, you'd see how wrong you are with your weak weak assumptions about what you think I'd do.

Honestly man, I'm here for information and good vibes. If there's a problem with my asking them this, they'll let me know. There used to be a time where it was common for people to call the custom chop and make whatever requests they wanted. Also being able to make special requests for production models from the past. Yep, definitely NOT unheard of at all to put in special requests with the Custom Shop. Things are different these days, but it hasn't always been like that.

There are many that prefer G10 so the easiest thing to do if you get something you don't like is to offer up a trade or sell it. This is the way the black Friday grab bags go.

I got 4 knives in my $1K grab bag and 2 had G10. I posted them on the exchange with the quickness and they both sold relatively fast.

I plan to roll the dice and if I get something I don't like, I will offer it up for sale or trade.

Hey Jerry Busse Jerry Busse , @Amy-0 and @Garth Reckner

I know it's last minute, but is there any way we can select the Nuclear Option and then maybe write "Micarta" "G10" "Surprise me, no preference at all" in the order info box?

So what do you say guys? Is there anything we can do to go Nuclear and still accomodate our preferences for either G10 or Micarta?

Thanks for hearing me out!

I hear you brother and it never hurts to ask. . ..

Unfortunately the nuclear option for this model has to remain completely blind and totally random.

There's such a huge mish-mash of handle materials that have been leftover from so many special runs over the past 40 years, that in many cases, we won't know what the material is until after it has been machined. Sometimes, we still don't know what some of it is even after machining!!! A lot of our expense with the "blind handle grab" is in the time we have to spend digging through "Handle Mountain" and trying to find 2 pieces of what we hope is the same material. We then have to cut each piece out by hand to the correct dimensions to fit the fixture. It is not unusual for us to run a "pair" of handles only to find that they are from different runs of the material and can't be sold as a "pair". In the end, if we can't find a match, we end up having to throw out both pieces.

The good news is that there are hundreds of fellow HOGs who are willing to trade and barter. There are some HOGs who are already scrambling to line up trades before they make their purchase. Their HOGfu is strong!

Let's Drink!!

Jerry

Wut he sed. ^^^

I will take any black paper Micarta that someone doesn't want.

The best way to go would be to order 2 - one comp finish with the handle material of your choice and the other a Nuclear grab bag. I know they aren't inexpensive but you will likely be able to sell either one to recoup funds once they are received.

Hey Bossman Jerry Busse Jerry Busse , here's a question for you. I don't suppose you could up the ante and not even guarantee matched scales? I think it would be pretty unique to have a sword with unmatched scales. But maybe I'm just weird that way. Say, black paper on one side, margarita multicolor on the other (maybe worst possible case). :D

But seriously, within reason, that could be pretty cool. IMO.

Seems like more people are keen on Micarta instead of G-10?
Maybe make a poll so we know whether it makes sense to speculate on a swap or just go comp with the preferred handle material!
Totally curious about the unknown handle material as well!

I seriously want ivory g10 on mine, so I'm in for the nuclear lottery.

Ok, another question.... sorry, they keep popping up:
The nuclear option is going to be "VERY LIMITED and will only be available on a small number of First-Run F-16s." What if someone goes nuclear, but don't get in on the small number? Will we be contacted to see what our backup option is? Is the nuclear option going to be Ganzaa-style? Was that already stated, and I just missed it?

Ok, another question.... sorry, they keep popping up:
The nuclear option is going to be "VERY LIMITED and will only be available on a small number of First-Run F-16s." What if someone goes nuclear, but don't get in on the small number? Will we be contacted to see what our backup option is? Is the nuclear option going to be Ganzaa-style? Was that already stated, and I just missed it?
This is only my assumption, but I thought it would be. Four options on the site. Coated, comp, coated nuke, comp nuke. When there gone there gone.

Don't you like to gamble, slick? This is about the only gambling I do anymore, I've never regretted a blind pick of the Busse/kin litter. Now, did I get exactly what I wanted... not always of course. But, it's always cool and it doesn't really end up being a big deal anyways... as people are eager to trade for the exact combo they want if you have it (especially hard to find stuff!).

Gitchusum, playa.... NO REGRETS!!!!

I am a micarta guy for users straight up, and G10 on non-users can look cool, especially most of the colors mentioned - I am not really into that much red.

I would be cool with almost all the G10 colors, especially purple - LSU!!!. And it is just cool to think about on the comp finish! What really makes the G10 work for me is hand-smoothed with mosaic pins on customs...Purple with Mosaics and I would be more happy than Micarta, probably!!!

If G10 went away, I would not miss it, although in certain applications it is really nice, aesthetically. My biggest push/pull towards micarta is the natural feel, you can hand smooth on your own, and it is lighter.

I recently saw a Busse with "G-mascus" scales on AZCK that was pretty cool looking - like swirled G-10 in random patterns...maybe those will pop up too?!?

Vote for hand-smoothed and mosaics on the Nuked G10's!!! I know it will likely not happen unless it just happens to pop up per shop's whims...sounds like a lot of surprises could be in the works!!! If I buy, I will go NUKE!!! And keep it or pass it along...just buying one...

Or I can strip and class up my INFI AK47 I have up for sale, and be happy with that!

This one is a tough call for me, I really want the knife, and I am also working hard at and achieving some financial goals!

C

Back