Jet Pilot Knife Sew-in Sheath

Sorry for the long wait. After digging around in my saved documents and notes, I came up with this from Frank Trazaska who is very highly regarded when it comes to U.S. military knives and bayonets.
According to Frank, (who also teamed up with Tom Williams in collecting this information), the sew in JPSK sheath without a pouch for a sharpening stone first shows up around 1962.

Sac Troop
Thank you!
It is earlier than I expected but good to hear. I picked up a 5 inch with blade marking and 1-1967 on the pommel and it came in a sew-in sheath. I was concerned that the sheath may not be correct but given that the knife was more valuable than the sheath I bought it.
Could you give me the reference of where you found this info? I have had commo with both Frank and Tom in the past but thought this forum would be a good place to ask my question.

What about the ones that have the green cover? I think it’s the same sew in sheath inside but covered with green material with a flap with snaps.

When and where were they used?

I know the one's you're talking about, I have a couple I picked up over the years. However can't tell you anything about them for sure. IMHO, I think the sew in sheaths regardless of style were an independent item available thru the supply system. I've yet to see any evidence that any JPSK's were ever shipped from the manufacture with anything but the standard leather sheath as it was specified at that time.

Back