Jetsetter by Victorinox

Any input concerning this tool? It seems to be a Classic but without the knife blade. It also has a small Phillips screwdriver, scissors, tweezers and toothpick. It is claimed to pass safely through airport security. The price is at the Classic level. Should I get one for my next flight to Monaco and Cannes? :confused::D

Personally, I still wouldn't attempt to get one through airport security in my pocket or carry-on. They might still say the scissors are a weapon. Or that even without the blade, it still looks like a 'weapon'.

Jim

Any input concerning this tool? It seems to be a Classic but without the knife blade. It also has a small Phillips screwdriver, scissors, tweezers and toothpick. It is claimed to pass safely through airport security. The price is at the Classic level. Should I get one for my next flight to Monaco and Cannes? :confused::D

My prediction ....

TSA agent: "You can't carry this knife onboard. You wanna surrender it, or stay home?"

Jetsetter owner: "I appreciate your diligence, sir. But there's no blade on this. See?"

TSA agent: "You can't carry this knife onboard. You wanna surrender it, or stay home?"

Jetsetter owner: "But really .... no knife. No blade at all!"

Jetsetter owner: "The company, Victorinox, specifically made this to be TSA compliant. Said so right on the package."

Jetsetter owner: "Honestly, this is a bit silly. There is no knife blade at all!"

Jetsetter owner: "Ahh, screw it. Just throw it in the bin already." :mad:

Unfortunately, mnblade is probably correct. The Supreme Curt may need to rule on the meaning of a "knife".:D

Last edited:
The consensus seen by me online: open it, put it in its own basket, say in an audible voice "I'm sending through a bladeless pocket tool," and put it on the conveyor belt. You will keep it, but you may waste X seconds/minutes discussing it.

Anything is possible, of course. A friend and polio survivor with leg braces was forced to pull up her skirt in front of 100+ people in line, and told "Now you've been abused by the best." It all depends on who you encounter, what kind of day they've had, and whether they were shown Sophie's Choice and The Pianist as training videos.

Also consider the Wenger Swiss Clipper AT, out of production but easy to find online.

attachment.php

Midnite MiniChamp for size comparison.

attachment.php

attachment.php

ClipperAT1.jpgClipperAT2.jpg

I have traveled multiple times (probably 8 different security checks) with the Jetsetter as well as a Leatherman Style PS. I just throw it in the tray that gets scanned. Never say anything to TSA. I have never once been questioned about either of them.

Obviously every TSA agent is different, but both the Victorinox Jetsetter and Leatherman Style PS are 100% TSA compliant. I love at least having some basic small tools on me when travelling as well as a good flashlight.

I've flown a number of times with my Jetsetter. It always draws attention from TSA, but on e they discover
It has no blade, I'm on my way. Useful tool, I say go for it.
When you go through security, pull it out and open it up. It should increase your chances of keeping it

I've flown a number of times with my Jetsetter. It always draws attention from TSA, but on e they discover
It has no blade, I'm on my way. Useful tool, I say go for it.
When you go through security, pull it out and open it up. It should increase your chances of keeping it

Or it could get you thrown to the deck, tazed and handcuffed. Probably not a good idea!

Guess I should have clarified. When I go through security and empty
My pockets into the plastic bin, I place the Jetsetter in the bin, opened
Up, along with the rest of my pockets contents. That way TSA can check
It out easily if they deem necessary

Last edited:
TSA harbors a bunch of glorified security guards for employees. They are unpredictable and enforcement is not consistent when it comes to items like this. Sounds like a quick way to lose a nice tool to me!

Haha, you’re jetting off to Cannes and Monaco and worried about the unlikely loss of a $18. Jettsetter? Just buy one. Throw it in the bin. IF they take it, use some of your roulette winnings and pick up another one I’ve there for the trip home. Then put it in you checked luggage. ;)

If I have checked baggage, I just put them all in there. Knife blade or not.

If I have only carry on, I’ll bring a $2 pair of cheap folding scissors and $4 little key-screwdriver-bottle opener-package opener thingy from nite-ize, and a pen.

In general I trust our USA tsa in following their own rules. But I don’t believe foreign countries use the same rules.

Within Europe I have flown earlier this year with a Victorinox SwissCard on me, by accident. I always keep one in my wallet, in the same compartment as my credit card, driving license and other cards. When I returned home from my city trip, I noticed that the SwissCard was still in my wallet.

But, just to be sure, I would put any SAK just in the checked baggage. Never had problems with SAKs in checked baggage.

In general I trust our USA tsa in following their own rules. But I don’t believe foreign countries use the same rules.

Do not fly into, out of, or within China with a petrol cigarette lighter (e.g. Zippo) which has been fueled.

No experience with the Jetsetter but when there is no blade, I dont see any reason, why it shouldnt be OK.
The last couple of years, Ive travelled with a Gerber Dime Travel mini-tool.
It has no blade and is approved for carry-on luggage.
A few security folks have gleefully pounced on it in the belief, that it contained a blade but after checking there has never been a problem.
The mini-tool has been across the ocean quite a number of times and have held up fine for use on various journeys.

I've had issues with TSA over the years. I had a friend take a wooden Mexican statue shaped like a small baseball bat on, while my empty leather pool stick case qualified me for enhanced screening. I also had issues when my tiny hard sided locker bag didn't fit through the cutout they placed on the X-ray machine, even though it was half the size of a normal carryon... and I had to mail the entire contents to my home address (I was not headed home and this was at a stop over that required another security check).

Additionally, there have been multiple issues of theft by TSA workers throughout the country. One other non-TSA story, the last time I travelled overseas, three young men bought a $400 bottle of liquor from a duty free shop while waiting for their flight. They were going to open it after they arrived at their destination. After all the shops closed (red eye to Korea) the attendant said that that airlines/flight didnt allow transporting liqour. They had to leave the bottle on a seat at the gate. Because of this, I tend to err on the side of caution whenever traveling.

Back