Jfowl31's knife modding/making progression thread

Jfowl31 Jfowl31 can I call dibs on that coping blade from the 77? I think you'd make a mighty fine chip Whittler out of that with that same beautiful micarta you just put on that 15.

A 77 chip whittler is definitely in the mix soon... Only issue is it's a lefty pull. I use my old micarta very sparingly though ... Gotta save some of the good stuff for one of these days when I actually make a full custom. It's gotten far too hard to replace these days!

Had a busy day yesterday!

Ancient Beerlow with a single sheepsfoot crownlifter
2 more single sheepsfoot crownlifter parts knives
A M&G with a caplifter added
Blade swaps on an old radio jack and a 1 arm jack
And full blown ridiculousness that I'm dubbing the Blacked Out Farmer. Dressed in some Westinghouse canvas micarta that I scored last weekend.

aeGBBXp.jpg

K964j20.jpg

3W7pXtm.jpg

fnIUJm5.jpg

GgyMvH7.jpg

a1MdWKp.jpg

clALZmJ.jpg

R2I0uuv.jpg

QYlbxc5.jpg

CpeedYF.jpg

8V2Bdqo.jpg

hKRc6Su.jpg

NNuRSYE.jpg

cfEa8gY.jpg

That blacked out farmer is some killer work!

Last ones for the weekend. I'm whooped.

Ancient Barlow that had some less than stellar bone on it. Swapped for some jigged bone from Culpepper

And a Cripple Creek barlow that had a loose blade and some equally disappointing sawcut bone on it. This one got Cottonwood Burl and a nice rebuild of the internals.

TFO8OGx.jpg

otYekDH.jpg

T5a8j2s.jpg

jatqu0K.jpg

hVcp7FG.jpg

yKvtR4a.jpg

iA6HEH2.jpg

Another weekend, another group to work on. No orders this weekend, just making stuff I like or that I've been wanting to try.

First was a simple LP sheepsfoot TC. I put a satin finish on the blade and put some sawcut on it. The bone was originally some very light Muscadine from the latest ancient run that I dyed dark brown.

2nd was a 77 parts knife. I used the back side coping blade and a couple steel liners and made this ironwood shadow lefty chip whittler. Also did a sowbelly shield on this that turned out nice!

3rd was just practice on shield inlaying... And it turned into a blade configuration I've been wanting to do! I had to drop the kick on the spear a tad to make the nicks work but it's a slick "trapper" now.

HCO8X9d.jpg

0LRfMOg.jpg

S9OXaeq.jpg

Lz8Ies6.jpg

IshQxeR.jpg

04vdhnJ.jpg

pCGrkbr.jpg

Another weekend, another group to work on. No orders this weekend, just making stuff I like or that I've been wanting to try.

First was a simple LP sheepsfoot TC. I put a satin finish on the blade and put some sawcut on it. The bone was originally some very light Muscadine from the latest ancient run that I dyed dark brown.

2nd was a 77 parts knife. I used the back side coping blade and a couple steel liners and made this ironwood shadow lefty chip whittler. Also did a sowbelly shield on this that turned out nice!

3rd was just practice on shield inlaying... And it turned into a blade configuration I've been wanting to do! I had to drop the kick on the spear a tad to make the nicks work but it's a slick "trapper" now.

HCO8X9d.jpg

0LRfMOg.jpg

S9OXaeq.jpg

Lz8Ies6.jpg

IshQxeR.jpg

04vdhnJ.jpg

pCGrkbr.jpg

There she is, that chip whittler! Sick work, man. I like all three of them. Real nice job on the inlays.

There she is, that chip whittler! Sick work, man. I like all three of them. Real nice job on the inlays.

Thanks man! It's always a work in progress and I feel like I learn something new every day in the shop. For instance, I fought the pins splintering on that chip whittler and had a good friend and knifemaker give me some pointers on how to avoid that. Luckily I was able to thin it a bit more and work through the ugliness.

I don't know exactly what the rules are with my new membership level, but all 3 of these are available ... I won't be upset if I keep em and make em users though!

Missed a couple... But here are the latest ones. The TC is currently listed in the Old Timey For Sale section.

aLZMXTA.jpg

2xl7sKH.jpg

3wnFuIn.jpg

KDCwMvZ.jpg

NW2mkgu.jpg

PKesYHV.jpg

nGbIAUN.jpg

RMv7a7D.jpg

1ZWAcUR.jpg

WF44uW3.jpg

Y8RYGdB.jpg
I really dig that single blade mod...saw a photo of it last night and the cogs are turning now. At some point soon I'd like to reach out to you and see about a few mods I had in mind. I have enjoyed looking through this thread I am impressed with your work.

Thanks fellas! The 44 works very well as a single blade. Pinchable, snappy, and thin!

I should get another video of the beerlow in the sunlight. The micarta is some special stuff but it really shows off in the sunlight

Back