Jigged buffalo vs water buffalo

GPyro

Gold Member
So I'm guessing the jigged buffalo was replaced with water buffalo in the custom shop on the 110 / 112.

Didn't they even refer to the jigged as jigged impala buffalo horn?
I'm assuming they were trying to mimic impala horn by jigging buffalo horn......?
I always sorta thought those looked good. In pics anyways as I've yet to see one in person..... sorta sad to see it go.:oops:

Now they have water buffalo horn as an option...... and those pics don't really look all that great. I'm sure they must be impressive or Buck wouldn't bother to offer it.

Anyone here have either?
Pics of both would be great too.
I just always thought the jigged looked good. I'm left with the replacement water buffalo and that intrigues me.:rolleyes:
Thanks.

Buck_212_FB_Hunter_Jigged_Buffalo_01.jpg

Buck_212_FB_Hunter_Jigged_Buffalo_03.jpg

The COA for this 500 from the Buck Custom Shop 1992-1993 describes the handle material as "Siberian Impala". The problem is "There ain't no such animal". My guess is that it is jigged water buffalo, possibly done by hand instead of machine.

Bert

**500 siberian 4 copy.jpg

I’ve wondered about that myself and seen the different variations. Some definitely look better and more realistic than others so I was thinking maybe there was a jigged buffalo and a impala. Also one was called imperial impala and had kind of a twist in the ripples.

Thanks guys.
I like the texture the jigged has. It would probably assist in gripping the knife.
And the water buffalo pics...... man those look great!
Glad I asked as I'm sure I'm not the only person that has not really considered the water buffalo as an option due to Bucks pics.
It's impressive some of the stuff you guys come up with! Sorry I don't have the time to thank each of you individually, but you I really do appreciate your posts. :):thumbsup:

Thanks for the clarifications too. I have lots to learn and sometimes feel that Buck's descriptions, if taken literally, can be misleading.
I don't think that's what they are trying to do at all, they are just trying to describe the look they were going for.
Cool stuff!

Hey JB, what does the papers that came with your bottom 110 say about the handle
material? Nice photos. DM

Hey JB, what does the papers that came with your bottom 110 say about the handle
material? Nice photos. DM

Can't say David as this was ordered as a gift and sent oversea's years ago. It was the jigged WB material. It was the only 110 with jigged WB that I have ever bought. I have other Buck models in that material. I do prefer the smooth WB material as it looks like black glass with a nice polish

Eveled, Water Buff Horn is a natural material and will have variations. I look at white streaks as a unique mark like a finger print. Your knife has markings that are different from all the others like it.

In the past, I was told the Buck buffalo horn was from South American water buffalo, white bone handles were from SA cow bones. I believe it was considered the 'type' of SA cattle breed produced thicker leg bones with less matrix in center. The same between elk and the various deer antlers. I would suspect that all Buck knife scales are contracted from outside providers, even the various "plastic" types. 300

There's one of those smooth ones on my short list.
Those really look good. I like the color streaks, and the solids look to have a depth to them like a great shiney paint job on a street rod.:cool:
I decided to grab this one as a result of all your great responses. It looks better than I hoped. It's even #3 as if that matters.
I really think that pics don't do these handles justice.
Thanks for your responses. I had to have one after all your great pics.
Thanks.:thumbsup::D
View attachment 1398180 View attachment 1398181

Back