• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Jigging-big' n bold or neat and precise?

meako

Gold Member
It just dawned on me that whilst I like the look of small precise jigging such as sawcut or checkering,I really prefer the wilder looking stuff like the grizzly cut and the bigger jigging.
If that makes sense.
It is the arrival of the shiner and the mountain man that got me thinking.
Any preference?
2013-06-03140518_zpsd2c2a567.jpg

2013-06-03140043_zpsebef4153.jpg

Both.

I like big bold and neat and precise.

Pena has some jigging I really enjoy.

Earlier jigged bone seems to have deeper jigging, etc.

I like them both but am more drawn to the big and bold deeper jigging with a random non symmetrical pattern.

I like the "scalloped" jigging as on your canoe, and like Enrique Pena's jigging a lot.

This is also a favorite style:

agrwharnjack.jpg

I like it to be either small, neat & precise or so random it looks natural.
What puts me off is when it's blatantly artificial "trying (and failing)" to look natural

GEC Horse Cut bone... Deep & Bold, somewhat random but precise at the same time! Love it

Depends on the knife. I don't want big, bold jigging on a peanut or vice versa.

- Christian

Big & Bold, Deep and Random for me. GEC horsecuts and stag bone jigging are my favorites.

Horsecut
horsecutRedGrn1.jpg~original

HcWalnutClosed.jpg~original

Stag Bone
StagJigging.jpg~original

IMG_0610.jpg~original

It depends on the knife, its size and hadleshape. I don´t like a too big jigging on smaller knives, this somehow doesn´t seem to fit on the knife. But on some bigger knives, I really like a smaller jigging.

Another topic is random jigging or the more organized look, but that´s another story ;)

I like the smaller size jigging patterns myself. Here's a few examples of what I like..

Jason

That last Jack that Jason has just shown and the bone on the Norfolk/Half-Congress are the dense small types I like, A LOT. Peachseed too..:thumbup:

Big knives do carry off a large bold jig though. A thing I particularly like is getting a new knife with deep, even SHARP pointy jigging and see it wear down a little after a year or two of wear, character really emerges then.

Depends on the knife. I don't want big, bold jigging on a peanut or vice versa.

- Christian

agreed.
it just highlights the amount of variation that is available.
cheers.
lets go for the biggest wildest most random and also the neatest most precise sharpest jigging.
great pics so far.

I like nature's jigging the best (stag) when its good.

I am kind of picky with jigging. I like Ken Erickson's work a lot. Some of his work is just so dynamic, random, yet neat and crisp.

For factory knives my favorite is the Case Peach Seed Jigging like on my TB Dogleg

Kevin

Christian,

I am just going by what I found it listed on the vendors and etc. Here is my packaging slip.

Kevin

Back