Jikken

ilknives

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My first post on this part of the forum as it is my first kitchen blade! I recently built a steel rolling mill and used it to forge and draw out this aogami core steel with 1080 and nickel cladding. I was able to forge in a distal taper by controlling the foot pressure. Another first for me was the brine quench, a little terrifying but nothing bad happened... I was in Japan last year and found out about Kaya wood, a beautiful golden wood used to make Go boards. I was also fascinated by the fact that the Japanese castle/palace I visited was so minimalistic and basic, just clean wood and large uncluttered rooms. I wanted to make a handle to show the taper, to follow the outline of the forging and not take too much attention away from the blade. I took bits of the iconic katana for the broad inspiration of this blade in the tip, the sweeping spine and the Kaya pin in the tang. The dark wood is African Blackwood and the gold color is pure gold. The blade is about 20cm or 8 inches long. Thanks for looking, Ig (jikken apparently means 'experiment' in Japanese).

IMG_4345.jpg IMG_4338.jpg IMG_4333.jpg IMG_4331.jpg IMG_4341.jpg IMG_4343.jpg

Back