JK Handmade Knives

Excellent write up bear. i really like that Kephart from John, and that wharnie hikers backup is sweet.

good review, nice looking knives.

i have seen his knives around lately, and they all look good. some of the blade styles don't really do it for me, but they always look well put together. i would love to get my mitts on one someday:thumbup:

Great review. I have five of Johns knives which I will display here very soon. I have the Kephart, Nessie, Hikers Backup, Super Duty and Wood Craft. When you buy a knife from Stomper, you can be assured that you have purchased a first class Quality super durable knife. Simple and no nonsense work horse blades. Give one of his knives a try and you will be a believer. However, be warned, you can't buy just one.:D

Wow thanks guys. Seems like the Kephart is getting all the love. It really is a great knife and along with the Nessmuk style knife they are true American Classic Bushcrafters.

There is one thing I wanted to mention about these old designs. When a knifemaker has the guts to reproduce such a classic knowing there will always be a few who don't agree with their expression of it, I have to tip my hat to them for keeping the design alive.

Scott Gossman was the first to bring the Kephart back. Matt Lesniewski (ML Knives), Kaleb Reynolds (Muskrat Man Knives), and John "Stomper" Kiedaisch (JK Handmade knives) are the only guys keeping the design alive. Thanks!

Size comparison
IMG_1389.jpg

Tramontina Machete
RAT Cutlery-RC-4
JK Knives-Kephart
Breeden-Pathfinder
JK Knives-Nessmuk
Koyote-Leuko Bushcrafter
ML Knives-Woods Knife

Last edited:
Nice knives. I'm all about simplicity, they look and work great

whoa, just saw the size comparison, now I know exactly how they'd feel in the hand. Perfect size.

Just recieved this one today. John does amazing work. I really like this one. I was happy w/ my bark river psk, but this one blows it away, IMO...

101_0805.jpg

101_0804.jpg

knifeandgun701ul1.jpg

First off, I may not be doing John a favor with the quality OF MY PICTURE. I wanted to slip out in the woods and get some action shots but it's raining today so that will have to wait. I can't count either, I have six of Stompers knives. The last two just came this morning. As you can see, Three of them are based on the Kephart, One the Nessmuk and two of what I would call a modified clip point.

From the top down, I am showing my new knife which I call a Camp Cook knife. it's 1/8 01 steel. I wanted a heavy duty Chefs type knife for outdoor and camp cooking. I wanted a little finger clearance between my hand and the cutting surface and thin enough for real slicing power. What I ended up with was all I wanted and more. This knife is really a all purpose knife which would really handle most all of ones cutting needs short of filleting fish. SUPER JOB John.

Going on down is the Kephart and the other new knife, the wood craft. Then the Nesssie which I believe is a very close design of the original. Below that, I believe John calls this the Super Duty and it is. This one has a full 3/32 thick blade and Modified clip point. This is my rough duty chopping type knife. It also works well for skinning very large critters. The bottom one is the Super duty's baby Brother, the hikers Back-up. This is a tank of a small knife and would serve you well as a backup or even a main knife for all smaller tasks.

You can get all the technical info from Stomper and do yourself a favor and check out his offering and watch the for sale by Makers forum. I have been very Happy with the knives he has made for me. The long winter has kept me from using them as much as I would have liked to but the quality is there for sure.

John made me a dandy back pocket sheath forthe hikers knife and good sturdy leather sheaths came with all of my knives.

wow..:eek: udtjim... that is an impressive stomper collection you got there... i really like that top one...:thumbup:

a heads up.. stomper's got a few beauties for sale right now, in the makers for sale area..:D

Yeah that bushcrafter hes got is callin to me, its like my hikers backup above, but a hair longer..... I am tapped out right now, so someone do me a favor and grab it before I sell some bodily fluids!!!

knifeandgun701ul1.jpg

QUOTE]

Udtjim-
I want to see more of the Woodcraft knife. Nice collection, you must be a favorite customer.

I am still wanting a bigger Nessie and have talked to him about it a little but still working on my sketch.:thumbup: Thanks for the compliment on my collection.

Whoever scored the Bushcrafter in the For Sale forum needs to give us a full report and pictures.

Back