JK Pocket Chef

Just received my awesome new Pocket Chef from John. Featuring 1/16" 440C stock, a 4" blade, and the wonderful 3" handle from the Bluegill, John has brought to life my vision of a lunchbox/restaurant dinner knife. This example is clad in some great looking Bloodwood with green liners and brass pins. I had John include a fold-over leather sheath that slips right into just about any pocket. The knife clocks in a slim 1.7oz and when housed in the pocket slip only weighs 2.9oz!

JTdzTMN.jpg

jItz6rU.jpg

VWaToeM.jpg

h1TUSd7.jpg

My JK Family
P0bdSsb.jpg

My wife's 3-finger grip (S/M glove)
LqgviGj.jpg

My 3-finger grip (M/L glove)
S4pi2Dn.jpg

My usual Bluegill grip (ring finger nestled into the turn-down under lanyard hole)
48fjI9o.jpg

Tons of blade edge for working
ulncKXj.jpg

akGW0s7.jpg

Thank you, John, for working with me to create a knife that's been in my mind for over 6 months. I cannot wait to put it to use, and I will definitely report back after some field testing. John, feel free to use any of the images for here and/or Instagram!

I like that a lot! It looks like it will be perfectly at home with cheese and sausages (and that is a good thing, of course).

I have enough of this steel for about 3 knives, and I am using some of it for a knife in early April. At this time I'm not planning on buying more, it's not popular enough to justify the price of keeping it in stock.

That is a great looking blade. Nice design and great execution.

John if you haven't done so I would recommend getting some of his pics up on the Instagram! With his permission of coarse

I have enough of this steel for about 3 knives, and I am using some of it for a knife in early April. At this time I'm not planning on buying more, it's not popular enough to justify the price of keeping it in stock.

Put jds1 on the list and save a chunk for me please!

Jeff

That is a great looking blade. Nice design and great execution.

John if you haven't done so I would recommend getting some of his pics up on the Instagram! With his permission of coarse
That's the plan when I get my laptop back. I'm not sure how to do it from my phone.

That's a dandy knife!

I'm going to bump up this thread because I think I've gotten the edge right where I want it. I used my KME sharpener and digital angle finder to experiment with different edge angles- 20dps, 17dps, and finally, 15dps. Most of my "everday" knives are some where between 17dps & 20dps, and I've been hesitant to go all the way down to 15dps.

With a 15dps reprofiled using 50 grit-1500 grit stones and then stropping the hell out of it with black and green compounds on my Flexxx Strop, this Pocket Chef is sublime. Shaves hair both with and against the grain with no irritation. It glides through fruits, vegetables, bread, and meat like I dreamed it would. I may go back to 600 grit and re-strop it to give the edge a little more bite, but I really enjoy where it is now.

While I haven't been bringing pork chops and chicken breasts to lunch as often, I am bringing either/or an apple and a cucumber everyday for work, and not only does it slice easily and cleanly, it also works well to skin the fruit/vegetable.

This 1/16" 440C with John's heat treat is fantastic, and I can't express how much I appreciate him as a craftsman and a businessman. I cannot state how much respect I have for a craftsman that will take some schmoe's drawing and make it a reality.

I think jds1 jds1 has one coming up on order, and I'm really excited to hear his thoughts on it. I'm kind of bummed that it didn't sell more, but I understand that it's a niche knife.

If y'all missed out on John's 1/16" 440C, I really hope y'all take advantage of it the next time he orders some (or we chip in and buy him some for Christmas ;)) because he really does a great job with it. If you don't need a "chef's knife on the go", a 1/16" 440C Mini Wharncliffe or kiridashi would decimate all of your Amazon packages and envelopes! :D

Looks like it would be a great go to kitchen knife for lots of the daily cut ups. O1 steel would be just as good - I don't mind needing to care for a blade or it developing a patina. Would prefer full flat grind though. Will keep an eye out for your updates.

AT ray

Hey, John, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. Do you happen to remember the "name" of the green used for the liners? I recall that you're allergic to G10, so are these micarta? If so, what type of micarta? I really appreciate it! Thank you.

Okay. I didn't know if it was something special/specific because I've never seen that shade of green before. I usually only see OD Green and Toxic Green. Could you point me in the direction of where I could buy some?

Back