Joey Berry Apprentice Graduation Congratulation Thread

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well you folks have watched many of my apprentices begin, then grow, then come into their skills and make fine knives. Once again we are at that point. My friend and apprentice Joey Berry came aboard close to two years ago. When he first appeared, he was already making very competent knives. He also came aboard with a lot of shop talent, having been a professionally trained gunsmith during his life. This made for a special kind of apprentice relationship. Mostly what I needed to teach Joey was do's and don'ts of knife design, and simple tips and tricks that we use to make these knives for y'all.

It really blew me away when he started going into the back and knocking out badass kitchen knives. Kitchen knives are the hardest full tang knives to grind. Joey was completely undaunted by this and went at it full force. In addition, due to his career as a butcher for many years he had very specific ideas about how a kitchen knife should work. And he just stared nailing these beautiful kitchen knives with amazing grinds time after time.

As you've noticed lately, his grinds, his tapered tangs, his handles, and his models are all dead on.

Well, last week he presented me with this small camp hatchet. Its made out of Pops 8670 and sharp as a razor. The tang is tapered as well. Its a very fun little hatchet to use, and because of the toughness of 8670, he set the heat treat at 61rc. Thats awesome for a hatchet. I've gone out and banged it around, and I really like this little thing.

So, here we are. Officially, Joseph Dwayne Berry has graduated from the Fiddleback Forge Apprentice Program. Watch out for his knives going forward. I expect them to get better and better. He is definitely an up and coming talent.

Joey has decided to stay on at Fiddleback Forge in a management role. His knives will continue to appear on my Fiddleback Friday threads as well. You can also find and inquire about purchase directly from Joey at his instagram page @JBKnifeworks

2v2HDQtdVxurAoi.jpg

Congrats Joey! I look forward to owning more of your knives in the future. A kitchen knife is next on my list.. I too am glad you'll be sticking around the Fiddleback shop.

Congratulations JB and best wishes for continued success !

I'll never forget your demonstration of how your kitchen knives could flex at Blade Show. Impressive grinds, heat treat and handle design.

JB - Despite my being one of the novice members of this forum, I have noticed the unique design details in your knife production that is yours and yours alone. The axes shown above are a perfect example of what I'm referring to - yes, they are axes - but wow are they good looking as well as being perfectly functional. !! Congratulations !!

My very best wishes for a long and happy career as JBKnifeworks, Jerry.
I don't have the skills, but I envy the apprenticeship journey with Fiddleback you have had.

Joy to your world!

Congratulations JB, I’ve been eyeing your kitchen knives from the beginning. I hope to be among the lucky guys who gets one. Sooner than later!!!

Congratulations Joey! I have enjoyed watching the evolution of your designs, particularly your kitchen knives. You are in a good groove now. I wish you lots of success in your endeavors.

Phil

Back