John Lloyd Knives

The one knife of his that has been haunting me since I have seen it was a Sowbelly... I don't know what it is, but it just screams "use me"... It went up for sale in 2016, and it was withdrawn, to never be seen again...
View attachment 833832 View attachment 833833
Update:
After the post above, I stepped up my search, but alas I fear I am too late. I have tracked this knife through 5-6 members since my quoted post, only to find that it has been sold to a gentleman in the UK.
The last owner that I have spoken with has forwarded my message and my email (back in January) to the new owner, and I haven't heard back...

I fear that I am destined to be haunted by this knife for the foreseeable future.

I hope that the members here that are in search of a knife, find it before it is too late for you to get your hands on it...
Best of luck to the rest of you.

NJBillK NJBillK Have you considered asking Lloyd to make you a new one like it? I do not know him, but I read here that he is a very easy person to deal with. Or perhaps his dealer, Vince, could place the order for you. I have no idea how long the wait would be.

Vince did have a very nice sow belly for sale in Golden micarta until recently, but it had a skinning type blade which just did not appeal to me as much as the blade on your grail knife. Heck, now you are making me want one also. Tell him to make two and I will buy one! Does anyone know if he still has the engraved fish shield available?

Last edited:
The one knife of his that has been haunting me since I have seen it was a Sowbelly... I don't know what it is, but it just screams "use me"... It went up for sale in 2016, and it was withdrawn, to never be seen again...
I'll see if I can get a few built
i will mention it to John and see if I can get a few built

I'll see if I can get a few built

i will mention it to John and see if I can get a few built
Thank you, but I was on my way to update this thread. Contact has been made!

There may be a positive ending to this despondent tale. Stay Tuned!

NJBillK NJBillK Have you considered asking Lloyd to make you a new one like it? I do not know him, but I read here that he is a very easy person to deal with. Or perhaps his dealer, Vince, could place the order for you. I have no idea how long the wait would be.

Vince did have a very nice sow belly for sale in Golden micarta until recently, but it had a skinning type blade which just did not appeal to me as much as the blade on your grail knife. Heck, now you are making me want one also. Tell him to make two and I will buy one! Does anyone know if he still has the engraved fish shield available?
I did see that, and I was immediately struck by the phrase "So close but yet so far..."

If I didn't hear from the current owner, I was indeed intending on procuring a new one.

That being said, part of the draw of this particular knife is that it is The One that I have been chasing. It has been used, been through many folks hands on multiple continent's, and it has always been just out of reach, One person away... always chasing the ballon, then *pop*...

View attachment 848186 View attachment 848184 NJBillK NJBillK Dude, you are a horrible influence on me. Because of you, I have gone from swearing to never buy a custom knife to seriously considering multiple Lloyd’s! In fact, I have already asked Vincent VCM3 VCM3 if he could have some made for you and I exactly like yours, second photo, only 3.75 inches rather than 4. If he does it, I am going to buy one, and I expect you to buy one as well! After all, you got me into this.

Then, it seems to me that if you are into Lloyd knives, you absolutely must have a stag. His stag is gorgeous. That brings me to the top photograph. I might get that one as well. Then there are all the others....Fish shield, Zulu, Moonshiner, the English Jacks with a Sheepsfoot blade...on and on and on. My wife is going to kill me.

I am just kidding of course, but I do see a dangerous turn taking place in my collecting.

View attachment 848186 View attachment 848184 NJBillK NJBillK Dude, you are a horrible influence on me. Because of you, I have gone from swearing to never buy a custom knife to seriously considering multiple Lloyd’s! In fact, I have already asked Vincent VCM3 VCM3 if he could have some made for you and I exactly like yours, second photo, only 3.75 inches rather than 4. If he does it, I am going to buy one, and I expect you to buy one as well! After all, you got me into this.

Then, it seems to me that if you are into Lloyd knives, you absolutely must have a stag. His stag is gorgeous. That brings me to the top photograph. I might get that one as well. Then there are all the others....Fish shield, Zulu, Moonshiner, the English Jacks with a Sheepsfoot blade...on and on and on. My wife is going to kill me.

I am just kidding of course, but I do see a dangerous turn taking place in my collecting.
Haha, while I do appreciate a fantastic knife as much as the next guy, I have been known to (on the Very rare occasion) be able to keep my eyes fixed on one knife.

I like to equate it to the Designated Driver of the group having a "one and done" kind of night. All those bottle of booze and types of beer out there, but just this one has my name on it. Who knows what another night will bring.
But, for now at least, I will be happy with a single domestic.

Remember, know your limits, don't drink and buy knives.
;):D

I think I've said this before. Not only will you not be sorry, you'll be thrilled. Just remember the line from the commercial "bet you can't eat just one." See what I mean?
View attachment 848235
That stag (toothpick?) in damascus is catching my eye though. It seems as if it has hints of Laguiole in it.

I am curious how that would look with a trailing point and ran harder than he normally does, as a dedicated "dinner knife"...

It has a wharncliffe blade which doesn't lend itself to a good dinner knife. I wouldn't worry about the 52100 steel that's used. A long slim clip point would be ideal. I recently used the mammoth zulu at a top steak house after the huge serrated knife they tried to give me wouldn't have cut a hamburger. Of course the Zulu went through the steak like it wasn't there. It was very satisfying.

It has a wharncliffe blade which doesn't lend itself to a good dinner knife.
I figured as much, which is what triggered the trailing point comment. Well, not only that, but I love a trailing point. Not a straight back, but an actual trailing point, large belly and a short blade height to reduce any sticking and lower the area needed to clean after, while increasing the edge length and aiding slicing.

I wouldn't worry about the 52100 steel that's used.
This is good to hear. I will be finding out soon enough.

A long slim clip point would be ideal. I recently used the mammoth zulu at a top steak house after the huge serrated knife they tried to give me wouldn't have cut a hamburger.
Isn't that always the way? This is the first reason that my significant other started carrying a knife when we went out. Since then, she decided it was handy and just easier to keep it on her. Now she has been eyeing some of my knives :eek: ...

Of course the Zulu went through the steak like it wasn't there. It was very satisfying.
I am looking forward to this myself. I am already planning my first dinner.

I'm 70+ and I've eaten a lot of meat. That knife actually added to the pleasure of the meal.

Thank you for the kind words Leslie! Trust me my collection is very modest compared to many here. There are some truly stunning collections large and small, especially in regards to John’s fantastic creations. I don’t have anything on order but I am also interested in the sowbellys and had a couple PMs with Vince regarding that. Hopefully we will all be able to own one in the near future
:thumbsup::)

Back