John Lloyd Knives

Thank you Duncan, for the welcome, and for leaving the Shadow for me!

I do have it (sort of), but am not using it yet. This is a 50th birthday gift from my wife and son, so she wisked it away into hiding almost as soon as it arrived, to be given on the day, which is still a week away.

I will definitely be using it and commenting on it. Rick Garcia is making a leather sheath for me to carry it in, and I am eager to receive that as well.

I have always been drawn to beautiful wood (on my guitars, pistol grips, pipes), so it makes sense that my first custom knife would have wood scales.

Last edited:
got this one last week,great little knife for the money
IMG_0091.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, you have some great knives there...making me darn jealous!!!., hope you have a great birthday Doug!!...

I just have to mention that JTW Jr's knife is just simply beautiful...that and Chiefs single bladed Wharnie!...both very nice knives, thank you so much for showing us these excellent examples of just how good John is at his knifemaking.

Does John Lloyd have a web presence or online retailer that stocks these. Or just have to hit the knife shows. Quickly looked thru thread didn't see a link

Mine have all been obtained from third parties on the Exchange here on BF. I'd advise you to peruse the 'Slipjoints' and Custom Knives (both Individual and Dealer) sections. Though of course you could always email him directly!

Very nice presentation on the wharncliffe blade, 4 pull on 1-10 scale, halfstop, amber stag, with bollocks shield) Chief.
Impressive knife!

Todd

I am lucky enough to own a fairly large number of Lloyd knives (more than a dozen), with most of them being his early work. I've been a bit derelict in writing about them, but to be fair I had to give them their due time in use before commenting. Without fail each of the knives I own are very well fit, all with excellent flush half stops. Great edges, and top notch handle materials. Blades aren't always perfectly centered, but that does not affect how they slice. For somebody like me, who looks for Blue Collar Gold Class knives, these are great! There is something special about cutting with a mammoth ivory knife.

Now a couple for show:

Mammoth, on a mammoth slab:
Lloydmammoth2.jpg

My top users- in Mammoth, stag, and Stellar Sea Cow on the Lanny's Clip:
LLoyd6.jpg

I have to admit that I had little use for many of the single bladed knives that I had seen before I got one of John's knives. The Lanny's Clip changed that quickly. My favourite of the bunch is the wharncliffe- I love wharncliffes and the mammoth on that one is great- creamy, small amount of texture, overall a very comfortable package. The one that I carry the most is the "Zebra knife" as my 5 year old daughter named the trapper. I carry it the most because it is her favourite knife, and she chooses the knife for me most days. Perhaps for her birthday this year it will become hers.....

First picture , far right... I really dig that one. Nice collection of Lloyd's.

I personally love having early representations of a makers work.

Good on you Chris!... you got a handfull of great knives there, Johns ealier stuff was great in the way that you have already described, but also there's a raw beauty to these knives.
It was realy heart warming to read your daughter choosing your knives to carry for you my friend....thats pretty darn cool, and what you are doing is creating a connection of her Daddy and knives...so something tells me this gal is going to be a Traditioanlist?

Thanks for the compliments on the knives- Vince was great to work with me getting them- I really appreciate the diversity and quality where it counts most. I try and give each their pocket time to understand their personality better- so far they have great personalities as nobody has bitten me!

Duncan- we are doing our best to keep the kids grounded. My father in law is a technology fanatic, but the grandfather from my side runs a small ranch so they can get the new and old worlds mixed. She was unsure about canoeing this summer, but eats from the wilds like an indigenous person, and loves her knives. A proud dad I am that she is excited to go to the local big gun show next weekend! I'm trying to foster a life long appreciation for the world I grew up in- hard but worth it!

Now to find a stag wharncliffe swayback....... The search continues.....

So many beautiful examples to choose from!

Does anyone have a Saddle Horn by Mr. Lloyd?

I'm about settled on the pattern I'd like to commission from him, haven't seen a SH yet...

Last edited:
Don't know why I didn't post in this thread, I've seen it. :confused:

Got this in a trade with a forum member just before Christmas.

Quite nice, VERY manly spring on this one!

DSC00339.jpg

Timcsaw: I am building 3 saddlehorns right now. I think they will have stag, amber stag, and ele ivory on them. At least...that is the plan now. Things change down here in Mexico from time to time!

Timcsaw: I am building 3 saddlehorns right now. I think they will have stag, amber stag, and ele ivory on them. At least...that is the plan now. Things change down here in Mexico from time to time!

I'd love to see a picture if you have the opportunity... I'm a real fan of the Case Saddle Horn pattern shape... just something about the nice pronounced curve at the butt end... I'll be in touch via PM when I've made my mind up... (for my first from you... with more to come I hope... campbellclanman showed us some beautiful examples as have some other folks who have your gems).

I bought my first custom slipjoint, made by John Lloyd, from Vince an hour ago. I've lived in St. Louis most of my life, moved here to the Pacific NW four years ago. If I'm lucky I'll catch John in St. Louis during one of my annual visits.

480167_3177587911743_1026969509_32561356_1628652612_n.jpg

556258_3177589391780_1026969509_32561359_2068693669_n.jpg

542012_3177589951794_1026969509_32561362_573969968_n.jpg

546658_3177590791815_1026969509_32561364_200399091_n.jpg

The whale bone is gorgeous and serves as a perfect background (murky depths and bubbles) for the engraved fish. The recurve clip blade has a little fishy wriggle and is a shape I have found to be very useful in an EDC. Even the stainless 154CM, despite my love for 52100, is a desirable practical touch as I live beside the Salish Sea. Closed length is 4 1/4" and the 3 1/2" blade has a 3 1/4" edge, ideal IMO for an EDC.

Attachments

• fishknife3.jpg
    fishknife3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 36
  • fishknife1.jpg
    fishknife1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 27
  • fishknife2.jpg
    fishknife2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back