July BOTM!!

So basically any 112 blade will fit into the TA-112? Armand can finally use one of the BG42 blades he has laying around..I have a Aurum etch prototype blade I could put in mine but that is the only loose blade I have..
Edit: I thought he could have given a better description of the TA-112 by stating it was the first and only Aluminum frame 112 and first and only take apart. Plus mention it had a matching 110..But then again I'm really enthusiastic about this 112 and how collectable I feel it is. It would not be the first time I got all excited about a new 112 and the rest of the world...did not.

Last edited:
So basically any 112 blade will fit into the TA-112? Armand can finally use one of the BG42 blades he has laying around..I have a Aurum etch prototype blade I could put in mine but that is the only loose blade I have..
Edit: I thought he could have given a better description of the TA-112 by stating it was the first and only Aluminum frame 112 and first and only take apart. Plus mention it had a matching 110..But then again I'm really enthusiastic about this 112 and how collectable I feel it is. It would not be the first time I got all excited about a new 112 and the rest of the world...did not.
The blades are swapable with any 112 blade. You will need to remove the bushing in any blades you want to put in. The rocker might develop a high/low effect compared to the frame due to tolerance stack ups. This variance will not be something we can fix nor be considered a warranty issue.

I have numerous blades and cutting tools which are coated by Physical Vapor Deposition, and they all follow the color scheme outlined above.
Ti ni is Titanium Nickel.

I think that purple blade is coated with TiCN (Titanium Carbo Nitride). This coating is softer than TiAlN (Charcoal) but harder than TiN (dark Gold) and ZrN (champagne).
how much harder and softer? thanks.

Mr Hubbard Thanks for weighing in on the TA-112 and what blades will work for it. Is there ANY chance at all Buck will sell us blades to use in it? I know Buck over the years has had restrictions on customers getting bare blades for instance in the original 112 BG42 blade swap program back around 2003. Buck would not return the original blade from the 112 you sent in. Can you give us some insight on the Take Apart series in general? I feel it has a lot of potential but with less than 300 knives total unless this concept is expanded it might turn out to be similar to the frame lock 110..just a minor blip in Bucks model history. I said earlier in this thread I would love to buy a 'upgrade' set of Black micarta handles along with a drop point or super steel blade in a simple set directly from Buck..Could you possibly ask Buck if they would consider such a set? I believe in this concept and especially the aluminum frame..I propose a polished aluminum frame too. I think the mix and match blades, handles and frames would be perfect for collectors!
Edit: I could imagine the marketing for the TA-110 and TA-112.."Make the Buck you want to carry Today"

Mr Hubbard Thanks for weighing in on the TA-112 and what blades will work for it. Is there ANY chance at all Buck will sell us blades to use in it? I know Buck over the years has had restrictions on customers getting bare blades for instance in the original 112 BG42 blade swap program back around 2003. Buck would not return the original blade from the 112 you sent in. Can you give us some insight on the Take Apart series in general? I feel it has a lot of potential but with less than 300 knives total unless this concept is expanded it might turn out to be similar to the frame lock 110..just a minor blip in Bucks model history. I said earlier in this thread I would love to buy a 'upgrade' set of Black micarta handles along with a drop point or super steel blade in a simple set directly from Buck..Could you possibly ask Buck if they would consider such a set? I believe in this concept and especially the aluminum frame..I propose a polished aluminum frame too. I think the mix and match blades, handles and frames would be perfect for collectors!
Edit: I could imagine the marketing for the TA-110 and TA-112.."Make the Buck you want to carry Today"

I'm not sure about all this yet. There are some discussions about the future of this type of platform going on around here. If we come to a final resolution, I will let you all know.

Jeff

as tiguy7 mentioned earlier in the thread aluminum is touchy for screwing unscrewing stability without super extra care. could make warranty send in ridiculous and bad blood, for Buck, from customers not understanding that. assume would be better in a sturdier metal. except for weight of course.

I like and believe in the platform! I never held in hand the aluminum frame 110 but when I got my 112 version it was a very striking difference from a brass frame..and felt solid! My take is the hard work..all the research and development..is done and it's a marketing strategy for the platform that needs to be developed. The Buck fans here on the forum I'M SURE will be Beta testers! Lots and lots of interest in this BOTM Mr. Hubbard..It could be the modern 'selector' for both collectors and knife enthusiasts..

I have numerous blades and cutting tools which are coated by Physical Vapor Deposition, and they all follow the color scheme outlined above.
Ti ni is Titanium Nickel.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that TiNi is titanium nitride. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Nitinol?

I know the chemical symbol for titanium nitride is technically TiN and that Titanium is Ti and Nickel Ni... But I’ve never seen TiN used as a standard for titanium nitride coatings

how much harder and softer? thanks.
The TDLC (Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon) as used on the Alaska Guide blades is 72 HRC. This is Tungsten Carbide.
The TiN (Titanium Nitride) as used on BuckCote/IonFusion blades is 82 HRC.
The ZrN (Zirconium Nitride) 85 HRC.
The TiCN (Titanium Carbo Nitride) 88 HRC.
The TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride) 92 HRC.

as tiguy7 mentioned earlier in the thread aluminum is touchy for screwing unscrewing stability without super extra care. could make warranty send in ridiculous and bad blood, for Buck, from customers not understanding that. assume would be better in a sturdier metal. except for weight of course.
The touchy problem could be solved by using brass T-nuts to anchor the inserts like they do on the TA 110.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that TiNi is titanium nitride. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Nitinol?

I know the chemical symbol for titanium nitride is technically TiN and that Titanium is Ti and Nickel Ni... But I’ve never seen TiN used as a standard for titanium nitride coatings

All of the knife articles and tool catalogs, I have seen, use the technically correct TiN to describe the dark Gold colored coating that improves the surface hardness and hence the wear resistance of items so coated.
image.jpeg

All of the knife articles and tool catalogs, I have seen, use the technically correct TiN to describe the dark Gold colored coating that improves the surface hardness and hence the wear resistance of items so coated.
View attachment 1388432
wonder if aluminum frames could be treated with this included screw holes. being hard like this should make them more durable for repeated careful screwing. maybe not though. maybe that's not possible though.

Not likely. The coating is very thin, and it doesn’t penetrate into threaded holes. I have seen other makers insert steel T-nuts into Aluminum, Titanium, and Carbon Fiber handles to beef up the screw anchors. This is more important for parts which are subject to stress, and the forces are axial rather than shear.

View attachment 1388432

Very interesting. That makes sense to me too. Every single one of my TiNi drill bits are gold colored. It looks like the knife industry needs to set a standard as the marketing is ALL over the place.

From BladeOps (claims TiNi is Titanium Nitride).
sad.JPG

From Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck knives (marketing claims it is a TiNi coating).
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

A Schrade claiming Ti-Nitride.
Capturef.JPG

An SOG claiming TINI.
fd.JPG

A CRKT claiming gray Titanium Nitride.
Capturer.JPG

A Kershaw that claims TiNi and then calls it Titanium Carbo-Nitride later.
fsd.JPG
fsdf.JPG

Very interesting. That makes sense to me too. Every single one of my TiNi drill bits are gold colored. It looks like the knife industry needs to set a standard as the marketing is ALL over the place.

From BladeOps (claims TiNi is Titanium Nitride).
View attachment 1388447

From Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck knives (marketing claims it is a TiNi coating).
View attachment 1388448
View attachment 1388449

A Schrade claiming Ti-Nitride.
View attachment 1388450

An SOG claiming TINI.
View attachment 1388451

A CRKT claiming gray Titanium Nitride.
View attachment 1388452

A Kershaw that claims TiNi and then calls it Titanium Carbo-Nitride later.
View attachment 1388453
View attachment 1388454

Unlike myself, the marketing guys are not chemistry majors. Most of them wouldn’t know BG-42 from a B-17.

So "lather, rinse, repeat" just isn't enough then?

Last edited:
Back