Jumbo trapper

Pattern #5754 is one of my favorite patterns. It started in 1972 and was produced almost until the very closure of Camillus. The blades were made of 440A steel, although at the end there was 420 HC steel.
There are many topics on this forum with information about this pattern, and here are a few of them:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/camillus-cartridge-collection.395432/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/buford-pusser-commemorative.291648/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/remington-knives-by-camillus.1151668/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/did-camillus-make-this-remington-trapper.1065389/

Last edited:
I like this pattern, and I have a lot of these knives, but the photos are located in different topics. Maybe this is the right place to bring them together? :)

Thanks for the info Vit these jumbo trappers are one of my favorite knives also. Post some pictures of some of them sometime

Subtle difference in etch color does not imply a different blade steel.

Early 90's was when the 440A became too hard to get.
Transition would have taken a few years as we had so many different coil types (thickness & width variety).

eLHa2b2.jpg

H5drj3U.jpg

Ok I have a couple of questions regarding blade steel, the above posts states 440a and 440hc as blade steels. So first is the nostalgia art collection Camillus made? And if so what steel? Clearly this one developed patina with use. So 1095? Thanks

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly , I didn't see this until recently. Above we were talking about 440A and 420hc. I have not seen either of these
steels form patina. The 1060 steels - 1095-- yes. But when did Camillus use that steel? DM

David Martin David Martin
I did some looking online, Remington corporate hq moved to Madison North Carolina in 1996. This knife is etched with Madison North Carolina and "First Production Run" I'm guessing the first run was the "Nostalgic Art" series. So I'm thinking late 90's maybe early as '96. Note the tang stamp is different as well. The circle around the bullet says Madison on top,and I assume Nort Carolina on the bottom,but the bottom is hidden in all positions. The other Remington jumbo trapper I have is dated 1989 on the pile side of the spey blade tang. The Madison Nc one has no date stamp. The R1306 I have is dated 1990. The Madison one has noticeably thinner blades,not a huge amount but its visible. I'll try to get some comparison pics tomorrow or Saturday. Neither of the dated Remingtons have developed any patina at all,the Madison Nc one did after one steak dinner.

Sir, it could be your models have carbon steel blades. From the late 1989 era. I have recently sharpened a jumbo Trapper made
by Moore Maker and having handled it I know for sure they use 1095 steel for that model. The knife was maybe 1-2 years old and
it had patina. DM

Ok, I want to add a post to this topic about heat treat because this has come up. Two Saturday's ago I called Paul Bos of Buck Knives (ret.) and discussed with him the heat treating of Buck's slip joint knives. During our rambling conversation about the steels used on these models and their heat treatment, Mr. Bos said that he had Rockwell tested many of the contract Camillus knives and their heat treatment was sound. The readings ran 56-58rc, off the top of his head. I carry and use one of my Camillus large Trapper, md. 334 and I think it cuts & holds it's edge great. Likely around 58, and sharpens up real nice. Thus, I think a quality product. DM

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly , sir, I have a Rem. jumbo Trapper dated 1989 so prior to the Madison, NC plant. I am unsure if Rem. mfg. these in their
plant or Camillus. It doesn't show patina but I suspect 1095 steel was used as blade material on this model. In the mean time I'll get a photo
of it on here. DM

bucklife301 bucklife301 , in his 1st post above the 2nd photo & the top Trapper of that picture as well as the bottom model in my post 17. That Trapper is a parts knife. I know he was talking about
blade steel here but I'm wanting to get all the information on these models in one topic. What I am meaning by a 'parts knife' is that at Camillus closing their doors, circa 2007. They sold off all inventory and persons or past employees bought this stuff. Then put the knives together and sold them at gun shows and places. What makes that knife different is 1) it lacks the etch serial number on the front bolster. 2) it
lacks the inking on the blade. 3) it lacks Buck's limited edition emblem on the handle and 4) if you look closely at the escutcheon emblem it lacks the knife, hammer and bolt etching. Thus, this knife never went to Smokey Mountain and sold. It was pieced together and sold. It is
still a good knife and will last a lifetime. And to me, it is still a Buck jumbo Trapper made by Camillus, just not sold at Smokey Mountain.
Phil Gibbs Phil Gibbs . My take on this model. DM

Last edited:
Back