Just a girl trying to identify knives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there's a place on this forum to do this, so if someone can direct me there....???
I'm trying to identify quite a few knives inherited from a relative - mostly Cold Steel and Japanese chef knives - some without boxes or marks. Some switchblade pocket knives as well. Lots of sharpening stones too.
I don't know how to tell what they are made of, where they are from, what model/make/series they are, etc. I literally know NOTHING about knives, so much that I'm nervous when I open some of them. :)
I'd like to have an idea of value for insurance purposes...and later for selling.
Is there place to post pics, where people can chime in and help me identify some of these?
Thank you!

Hello and welome to BladeForums.

This link may help with how to upload pictures.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-i-post-pictures-from-a.1394713/

If you enjoy the sites content and wish to become a member, there are benefits along with the ability to directly upload pictures and ask for values. Not to mention, you will have the ability to sell here to knife aficionados who appreciate the value of knife collections.

Whatever you decide...welcome and I hope you enjoy the Forum and the community!

Welcome! You are definitely in the right place to get help identifying Cold Steel knives. Unfortunately, without a Gold membership, you're not allowed to ask about values. Pictures are also more difficult to insert without Gold membership, as well.

If you can post pictures on a free image-hosting site, you can direct us to them and we can tell you what you have. Once you know the model names, you can look up pricing.

-Steve

Welcome to BF! Can't wait to see what you have.

I think I will try them one by one and see how it goes.
Here's the first. 5.75" blade, brass pommel and guard. That's all I know.
I assume the small paper pamphlet photo is assumed to be part of this, but they were all in a huge suitcase together, so not even sure what sheaths go with which knives when there are extras....
Can someone let me know if using this link works for pics?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tyrv-n0eSp06ZNvxkAIqDpGS7yEkpYlJ

Pics are good, they are easy to see. They loaded upside down but that’s not a biggie.

Link works! That is an early Tanto...very nice! There is a sticky thread at the top of this subforum with History of the Tantos that has more info.

Link works! That is an early Tanto...very nice! There is a sticky thread at the top of this subforum with History of the Tantos that has more info.

I was just going to suggest that too. Your sticky thread is fantastic!

I actually tried to read that article about Tantos, but I don't understand much of it and can't tell one from the other....all that M13 and AUS and such!

What is a "sticky" thread?

I'm sure there's a place on this forum to do this, so if someone can direct me there....???
I'm trying to identify quite a few knives inherited from a relative - mostly Cold Steel and Japanese chef knives - some without boxes or marks. Some switchblade pocket knives as well. Lots of sharpening stones too.
I don't know how to tell what they are made of, where they are from, what model/make/series they are, etc. I literally know NOTHING about knives, so much that I'm nervous when I open some of them. :)
I'd like to have an idea of value for insurance purposes...and later for selling.
Is there place to post pics, where people can chime in and help me identify some of these?
Thank you!
Welcome and here's hoping you are bitten by the blade bug.

Zieg

I was just going to suggest that too. Your sticky thread is fantastic!

Thanks Molokai, and the same goes for your Hawaii Knife Life thread! :thumbsup:

I actually tried to read that article about Tantos, but I don't understand much of it and can't tell one from the other....all that M13 and AUS and such!

Sticky just means that it stays at the top, so it doesn't get buried as new threads are posted.

A sticky is a thread that remains at the top of a sub forum. This is due to it having value and/or important information.

So far what you have shown are two very nice examples of Tanto blades offered by Cold Steel in the 400 series.

And here's another.... it's like a mystery game...
9" blade. Was in the canvas sheath, but wrapped in bubble wrap with the leather one included, so I assume it's all meant to be together.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jp5nLJEW9PtWcI3Nfv5CPzNWOVVKzipA

That is a Magnum Tanto...very similar to the Tanto but with a longer blade and stainless guard and pommel instead of brass. I don't believe the canvas (nylon?) sheath is original, but the leather one is. As Molokai stated, both of those Tanto blades would be what Cold Steel called "400 Series Stainless" back then (late 80's to very early 90's).

Yes, it can be confusing for someone new to knives. We will certainly help as much as we can, but if you can visually match up what you have to the pics in the thread (by markings, etc), it will narrow things down quite a bit.

So far you're off to a great start! :thumbsup:

And behind curtain #3 is a Trail Master... but I have no idea which one.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xNV_fKSfbqSNEUBhWvh9b3UDOOJTDoKB

Another great one! That one is a 1st gen style Trail Master (model #16JS), and it is also 400 Series Stainless...it is also from the late 80's to early 90's.

There is also a Trail Master History, but hasn't been made a sticky (yet):
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...asters-and-recon-scout.1567738/#post-17980084

With the Trail Masters, they are often referred to as Gen 1 or Gen 2, and this refers to the end of the blade near the guard...the Gen 1's have a little "nub" that sticks out, while the Gen 2's don't. Can see the difference in the pic below (this is also in the History):

EwGlT8Yl.jpg

Last edited:
A bit more info on the Tantos so you can find them in the History...your Tanto is model #13A, and the Magnum Tanto is #13M

Those classic Cold Steels are easy for the guys on this forum.
Please show us the photos of your Japanese kitchen knives as well.

Those classic Cold Steels are easy for the guys on this forum.
Please show us the photos of your Japanese kitchen knives as well.
More on those tomorrow. Many are actually in boxes, but I can't locate them by the info on the boxes anywhere on Google.
And many others are unidentified/unboxed. I will try to put identifying markers on each pic and will proceed from there.
This might be fun!
If only I inherited some rare historical blade that would make me a millionaire...
I also have "swords" (or whatever you call the blades men often carried on their sides - the ones about 24" long or so).
And switchblades, and straight edged razors, and more.
It's a task to go through them all, but might be good to know what I've got and catalogue it all.
Thanks to all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back