Just a girl trying to identify knives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Please do not concern yourself with those boxes. Japanese Chefs knives come in boxes, either cardboard or wood if high end, and they have writing on them. But that writing never says anything about the knife itself and all it says is "Japanese cooking knife" or something similar and equally uninformative. But on the top or bottom end of the box, there may be a small white tag that has the knife type and blade length printed on it. The blade length is given in millimeters. The identification of chef knives needs really 3 photos, one of the whole knife, one of the engraving on the blade near the handle close up enough to read it, and the same for the other side if there is anything engraved there.

Japanese swords are an entirely different class of their own. Those about 24" long would likely be Wakizashi. A few photos will indicate whether it is a sword worth investigating further. A specialized forum would be the best place for identification. If it appears worth further examination
one needs to disassemble the sword as the maker will have his signature on the Nakago (tang) inside the handle. There are people who can do this. But bear in mind that what appears to be a "Japanese sword" can be anything within a wide range, from modern replicas made in China, former WWII military swords with out much value, to genuine old swords, some unnamed and some with a known sword maker's name.

Razors, switchblades and other unidentified knives are probably best posted on the Bernard Levine Knife Identification section of this forum.

Hope to see your chef's knife photos.

Here's one of the chef's knives - actually a sushi knife, according to the notes. (He wrote on nearly every box - very detailed person).
I don't want to take the paper off if I don't have to. Assume it is some kind of lubricant?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XLYuHpKmOOGRqx1XzbUN_i8QgBTvMOv3

That is a Masamoto Sohonten Yanagiba Bouchou (sashimi slicer). Masamoto only makes single bevel traditional knives in carbon steels, and my first guess is that is Aogami No.2 (Blue Steel #2).
Masamoto is one of the few big name Chef Knife companies in Tokyo. Others are mostly in other parts of Japan.

Magnum Tanto 13M-II?
Trying to get this one right by studying the Tanto article and doing my homework.
Did I get it?
Not sure where the original sheath is. Are these hard to find or common?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oNmpiMPnEzpG3JiAiQomZzqFWf283-FE

Yes you got it, but it is very interesting...I have never seen a 7 1/2" blade version that was only marked as Magnum Tanto, rather than Magnum Tanto II. And that sheath is correct. With that sheath and those markings, my guess is that it is a very early example from right when they transitioned from the 9" blade to the 7 1 /2" blade right around 1990.

Keep'em coming! :thumbsup:

Yes you got it, but it is very interesting...I have never seen a 7 1/2" blade version that was only marked as Magnum Tanto, rather than Magnum Tanto II. And that sheath is correct. With that sheath and those markings, my guess is that it is a very early example from right when they transitioned from the 9" blade to the 7 1 /2" blade right around 1990.

Keep'em coming! :thumbsup:
Knowing the source of these knives....I'm never surprised if it's some unique fact about it. :) I also have (of all things) walrus tusks from him as well. That being said, I never know what I'm getting into when digging through the cases...

Keep'em coming!

That is unique. I'll try to do some digging to see if I can find that 7.5-inch-bladed model mentioned in any of my literature.

DrMom, honestly I thought you'd end up showing us standard offerings. But so far, your relative's Cold Steel collection hasn't been exactly run-of-the-mill! He seems to have purchased in Cold Steel's earlier years, and those knives naturally are harder to come by.

-Steve

Wow..I had no idea until now that Magnum Tantos ever shipped with nylon (cordura?) sheaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back