1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Just A Picture - Traditional Picture Show

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Gevonovich, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Marvelous news !! We'll leave a light on for ya :):):):D:D:D

Markesharp likes this.
  2. Markesharp

Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks Gevo!

3. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Anytime my friend !!

Markesharp likes this.
  4. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
  5. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
  6. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
  7. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Tell us more about your relic....wow !!!!??

Blake the Blade likes this.
  8. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    Well seeing as you ask Gevonovich...I've recently taken a job as Services Manager in a museum which celebrates the industrial and transport heritage of the South of England. It has a bric-a-brac shop with a tool department in which old tools are donated to raise money for the museum. Of course I've let the guy know I'm into old folders and sure enough he came up with this one which he sold to me very cheaply as he's not allowed to sell knives to the general public. He seemed a bit surprised that I'd want something so old and beaten up, but for me it tells a story of some guy who kept this thing by his side throughout his working life over a very long period of time. It's clearly had a great deal of use and maybe got passed down over the years from father to son, maybe lost, found reused by someone else and eventually sold to me to raise money for a great cause. Point is it's had a life and it bares the scars to prove it, but it remains useful and still functions as intended. Even the damage on the other side of the horn handle is, for me, testimony to its history and is all the more interesting for it. This knife expresses everything that is intriguing about collecting old knives, it speaks of days gone by when life was simple but hard and when this basic tool was essential in everyday life. As I've said before...If only these things could talk...but I guess, in a way they can.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Love that Blake, the horn covers, shield, stamped and well worn blade, just a great link to knives gone by:cool: and thanks for the back story and how it became yours:thumbsup:

10. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Fascinating post. Unique knife and an enjoyable read, thanks!

11. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Blake I second what Paul has said! Knives like this intrigue me. All the indications and signs of usage are all just part of a visual record of a knife that was up to the task and has lived to tell about it. New traditional knives are great but this one and others like it have a history that connect us in an almost visceral way to the past and a yet resonate in the present!! Thanks for a nice story—love it:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Copperberry and Blake the Blade like this.
  12. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed my post. Nice to know I'm not the only one who appreciates old folders for their history beyond value and perfection. I guess you could make similar observations about anything old, but folders are so personal and self contained. History somehow emanates from them in a special way.

Copperberry and Will Power like this.
  13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    What Paul so eloquently said ! Thank you !!!

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Potato Face.....

[​IMG]

15. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Before 'n' after...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Great pattern and what a beauty, Will ! Great composition.

Glorious !!! Looks delicious and such sumptuous photos, Chin !!!

Will Power likes this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thank you kindly Gev!

Regards, Will

18. street soldier

street soldier Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Nice looking knife. Loving the stag covers.

John

Will Power likes this.
  19. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    [​IMG]
    This killer knife definitely deserves a bump!! A Beauty, Gev!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  20. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks Gev!:)