Just a Quick Question

afishhunter

Gold Member
I just bought a Böker Plus Model
01B0234SET from a local national sporting goods store. (They are not a paying/supporting member here, so I cannot mention them by name.)

The package says the blades are 440C.
The main blade of both knives is stamped "440A".

Are the blades 440C or 440A?

Whichever it is, I like the knives, and have no intention of returning them. :)

I've seen weird things with other Boker+ models. My griplok was from Taiwan, but online some were from China, some had no country and nobody said taiwan.

No country of origin on the knives, either.
However, I am not worried about that.

Both the stockman and trapper seem to be good knives. I have no complaints.

@Marketing
Care to answer my question?
Been near two months since I asked here, and sent an email.
Are these knives 440C as claimed on the packaging, or 440A as stated by the blade etch?

You should give them a call to resolve this.

For whatever reasons, their customer service reps that monitor the forums aren't responding the way they should be.

They do not respond to emails, either.
I suspect they do not care.

I just won't buy another Böker, and will not recommend them to anyone.

If they can't be bothered to answer a question, what are the chances they would bother with a warranty issue?
IMHO, the answer to that question is below
"Slim to none."

Last edited:
Sounds like a probable printing error on the box.
I would go with what's etched in steel.
(As this will be a point of reference in the long term,
The box in all respect, would have disintegrated in time)
And decidedly live happier
Knowing that it's the better of both steels.
I understand the predicament
But Sometimes dwelling too much on microscopic details
Can be rather frustrating and down right disturbing
For little or no reason.
Enjoy the product for what it was designed to do
It really shouldn't turn out to be a tool for mental torture.
Just my 2 cents.

I just bought a Böker Plus Model
01B0234SET ...
The package says the blades are 440C.
The main blade of both knives is stamped "440A".

Are the blades 440C or 440A?
:)

Sounds like a probable printing error on the box.
I would go with what's etched in steel.
(As this will be a point of reference in the long term,
The box in all respect, would have disintegrated in time)
And decidedly live happier
Knowing that it's the better of both steels.
I understand the predicament
But Sometimes dwelling too much on microscopic details
Can be rather frustrating and down right disturbing
For little or no reason.
Enjoy the product for what it was designed to do
It really shouldn't turn out to be a tool for mental torture.
Just my 2 cents.
440A is a decent steel, in my experience, provided it has a decent heat treat.
440C was/is one of the first "Super Steels".
I remember back in the 1960's and 1970's "everyone" wanted 440C. Naturally, the market provided. Unfortunately, not all had a good heat treat. Some were excellent (Buck, (excluding the Schrade and Camillus contract made 300 series, which were not 440C) for instance) others were garbage; they would not take or hold an edge. (The cheap no name $2 and $3 "Gas Station Specials" for example.) I remember it was hard to find a knife that was not "440C" for a while, in the area I was raised during the late 1960's and the 1970's.

I do like these two knives. I regularly carry the Stockman.
I also bought a Böker "Magnum" 4 blade Scout knife, which was advertised as having 440C blades. Once again, the blade is etched "440A". I also regularly carry it, as well.
(My normal EDC is a large Stockman, a 4 blade Scout knife or SAK "Huntsman", and a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT.)

One of the main reasons I bought these Böker knives was because they had 440C blades.
I am disappointed they are not 440C, however, I have no intentions of returning them, or not using them.

It is possible there was a Typo on the packaging. It is also possible the wrong blade etch was used.
It would not be the first time a blade had the wrong tang stamp. I know when the Colt carbon steel knives were moved over to the Rough Rider line, they had a "440A" tang stamp for the first few months, even though the blades were carbon steel.
This was corrected after SMKW was made aware of the discrepancy, and the proper tang stamp is being used now.

Last edited:
Yeah I do concur that 440c was THE stainless steel material of its day.
This was definitely a step up from that 420 ss
Which were so rampant with affordable/entry level import cutlery.
The only specifically chosen 440a knife which
Created huge waves at its introduction, was the Sog knives Seal 2000.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/re-sog-seal-2000.171066/
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/seal_2000.html
But technical progress had sidelined these steels along the way.
And now, thanks largely to the economic crunch and tighter pockets,
440ss is back in the manufacturer's loop.
Guess it has a long standing and favourable track record with cutlery companies
And general knife users alike.

My Böker Magnum Scout Knife is also advertised as 440C on the Böker website, packaging, and paperwork, yet etched "440A".

Call me crazy (I've never denied it. Better "crazy" than "insane") but I want another 440C knife. I have not had one since the 1970's.

this forum has never moved much and boker doesnt often pop in........

With the changes which had been made within the Boker subforum pretty recently, I´m confident that there will be more life around hear in the future.

I just came back yesterday from the Gathering in Vegas, which leaves no time for mail work or elselike, but this is definitely an excepion, and I try to pop in here every (working) day.

Also, any question which might be mailed to me should be answered in a reasonable time, meaning within 2-3 working days.

Last edited:
With the changes which had been made withn the Boker subforum pretty recently, I´m confident that there will be more life around hear in the future.

I just came back yesterday from the Gathering in Vegas, which leaves no time for mail work or elselike, but this is definitely an excepion, and I try to pop in here every (working) day.

Also, any question which might be mailed to me should be answered in a reasonable time, meaning within 2-3 working days.
good news and looking forward to the participation and expertise. thank you Sir.

With the changes which had been made within the Boker subforum pretty recently, I´m confident that there will be more life around hear in the future.

... and yet my question remains un-answered, after two years. :(

Back