Just bought a 1207, with sheath, for $25...

I was at a flea market, and saw several fixed blade knives that were pretty old looking, and this one stood out...Seller said "it's a KA-BAR", and it had a good feel to it, so I bought it for $25, no tax involved...Had no idea of it's age or PX connection, but it is very interesting to me as I was in the Army 1968 -'71, in Airborne units, and many or most guys had a "personal" knife of some kind.(I had a Gerber, which was stolen...)
This one is starting to clean up - had wire wheel marks on it, that I am polishing out by hand with mag wheel polish. It's still solid, all there and tight, pretty sharp and not broken at the tip...I'm starting to see what looks like someone's name on it...have to get it to where I can read it..
A pretty interesting day...and NO, I can't do photos at this time...
Any recommendations for softening and conditioning the sheath are appreciated...
Thanks

Model 1207 was really a hunting knife, maybe some were sold in PX stores but it was the 1209 with a black sheath, black wood handle, and parkerized blade that was intended as a military private purchase knife and often seen in the PXs.

Nice 1208 Mike. I like the owner's name engraved in the 598 too. I don't mess around much with the Cole era knives either but I do like Military knives so I have a couple of 1209s around someplace. Not home so I can't post pics.

Nice 1208 Mike. I like the owner's name engraved in the 598 too. I don't mess around much with the Cole era knives either but I do like Military knives so I have a couple of 1209s around someplace. Not home so I can't post pics.
Thanks Gene. I couldn't tell you which storage box either one of them are in. Sad state of affairs lol FYI Knife and Gun show in Middletown this coming weekend. I think it's at the Orange County fair grounds. I will be going to check it out.

Thanks for the heads up on Middletown. I will return from vacay Fri, if I get my car unloaded Fri I may go up to the gun show on Sat. I definitely plan to go to Marlboro, MA on next Sun for the one day NCCA (Northeast Cutlery Collectors Assn) all knife show. Marlboro is a hike but a lot better for knives than Middletown although I have got deals at both in the past.

Any recommendations for softening and conditioning the sheath are appreciated...
A couple of drops of Neatsfoot Oil at a time will help soften the leather. The oil will travel a bit so don't go overboard at first until you get an idea how thirsty the leather is. Leave the sheath hanging or put it on something plastic or oil-proof, and give it a cloth rub to pull grime off. A quick blast of WD 40 will sometimes loosen gunk that is resisting the oil and rubbing.

Back