Just bought a BK5

Went into AG Russell's store this weekend and they had a BK5 in the clearance display case. I guess it use to be the store display but for only 68 bucks with tax i had to get it.

I took it home and gave it to my wife and she started using it instantly. After cutting a roast of sirloin steaks and a watermelon i asked how she liked it. She said she likes it. I told her I would remove the black coating for her and get her new handles. She asked me why and then told me to leave it alone, she likes it as is.

Since this was the display knife it was probably an older one. Mine has the lettering stamped into the steel. Did they not eventually etch in the lettering?

I wanted one for a long time, happy I got one.

Congrats on your 5 :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've seen only 1 KaBar BK5 that had the laser etch. A member posted a pic of it and said it was one of a kind.

Is the BK5 sheath the same as the BK9 sheath. This 5 sheath feels a little strsnge, kind of like it was not made for it but something diffrent.

you got a great deal on one of my two favorite BKs ... the 5 and the 15 are just so versatile I have 3 of each ...

you may never get that one back from your wife ... they are a damn handy knife.

Is the BK5 sheath the same as the BK9 sheath. This 5 sheath feels a little strsnge, kind of like it was not made for it but something diffrent.
Congrats on the new steel. I believe it is the same sheath.

I don't dare show my BK5 off at my dad's place except during big critter cutting season. Or one of the younger sibs or evil step mother (its tradition to call them evil!) would grab it. Like my little sister would do to my OKC 420SS woodsman, I gave my little brother one of those so my other is safe. Problem is BK5s are hard to find a bit oddly. I keep my Dogwood Firefly handles on it so it don't get lost when I get dragged camping.

Congrats on the BK5. I saw it in the case at AG Russel and I was tempted but I already have 3 or 4 KaBar versions and three original Black Jack Magnum Camp versions. I gave my wife a BK5 a few years ago and she loves it, I have to be very careful when I'm using one of the originals, i'm afraid if she gets a hold of it she will keep it...

Should I remove the black finish and polish it up a bit or leave it as is.
Personal preference really. I normally leave mine on, as I like to watch it wear away with use. Also proves it's a user, haha. :D Not like these guys that strip their knives, because they never use them, and it's harder to tell that they don't. :p

661o3Hs.jpg

I'm not sure how much of that paint I'd want wearing off into my food. On the other hand, it's pretty durable stuff and might not come off very much at all in the kitchen.

I'm not sure how much of that paint I'd want wearing off into my food. On the other hand, it's pretty durable stuff and might not come off very much at all in the kitchen.

It doesn't. I've used my BK15(stripped) and BK16(coated) a lot in the kitchen. The BK15 has a nice patina and the BK16 still looks brand new with all the coating intact.

I still need to get you to make me a baseball bat handled knife! Are you currently booked up?

Back