Just bought another canoe.

Driving to work, there she was. An old town Canadian. Turned around went back, guy wanted 500 I offered three he came back with four I went to 350, now I got another canoe. Just picked it up, looks damn good on top of my truck.
It's Kevlar not fiberglass. From what I'm seeing I got a damn good deal on it. Looking forward to getting it on the water watching the leaves change as they fall in.

I would post a pic, but I'm not sure how to do it and I cannot remember for the life of me how to get in my photo bucket account. Suffice it to say, it's a red 17 footer.

Last edited:
Ok, the point of this, I left off.
So, Kevlar better than just fiberglass.
It's only a few pounds lighter, doesn't say anywhere that I could find, other than it being lighter, why someone would pay that much more for Kevlar.
Durability I get, bit it's the same glass on top.

I heard that Kevlar is a premium grade of fiber glass.
Negative, Kevlar is a synthetic aramid fiber...fiberglass is just that, spun glass (silica).

So it's just the Kevlar material in side instead of the regular fiberglass material.
Kinda what I was coming up with.
Doesn't break as easy.

Both are "composites", layers of fabric held together with resin. For boats, polyester resin is typically used.
Glass fabric is made of glass fibers. Aramid fabric is made of Aramid fibers.

Use of glass fabric typically results in a more brittle material.
Aramid fabric results in a less brittle material and will not puncture as easily if you hit a rock.

You got a screaming good deal!
You did. Part of me would love to run onto the same deal, but I really don't want a 17 foot canoe, fiberglass or otherwise. I just have such little use for one this big that even at the price you got this, it would be a waste of money.

Kevlar is lighter than fiberglass and resists punctures better. Fiberglass canoes are really tough when comparing to aluminum.

Very cool.
I wish I was able to inherit my grandfather's grumman aluminum canoe, but the cousin who was taking care of my grandmother after he died sold it or something.

I have a 14' Kevlar Wenonah solo canoe. Having owned 20+ canoes and kayaks in my day, this Kevlar boat is definitely my favorite. Mine also has the gelcoat over Kevlar. Very light boat. I can pick it up and carry it with one hand like a suitcase.

Put a tape on it, 15' 8".
Took the guys word on the 17.
Should be putting it in the water Thurs or Fri.
Looking forward to it more now than I was.
Been looking at add on rubber patch D rings ang gear holders, lot of stuff can be done with a Kevlar boat.
Curious about how it does on the river, it's a bit more pointy and sharp than my other or for that matter, any canoe I've floated.
I'll hopefully be posting something without having to buy another phone to do it.

Ok, just a preface, it's been a minute since I've been in a boat, specifically a canoe. Spent a lot of days in a kayak, in the past eight years. Mostly sit on tops, but in rapids built for playboats. With that, I have to say this is the absolute tippiest boat I have ever been in in my life. There's no give at the keel line or side to side. It stays round it's like paddling a 16-ft pop can.
By yourself I could see this boat being a lot of fun, with another person, not so much. In the space of about 6 mi, I rolled this boat or this boat rolled with me six times. I have never flipped a boat that many times.
There's no give, it's really rigid once you get in the water everything stays round it's not like a fiberglass boat or a plastic that flattens out. It's a completely different feeling, I think the reason I got this boat for as cheap as I did, somebody bought it somebody didn't like it, sold it somebody else bought it, they didn't like it, sold it, somebody else bought it they didn't like it. I ended up with it for $350. I even tried paddling it kneeling in the middle of the boat it's still like paddling a round bottom play kayak sitting on top of it.
I plan on keeping it, or until at least next spring, plan on paddling it more than once. I need to put some kind of kneel pads in it, or use a life jacket to kneel on. This is not an easy boat to paddle it's kind of fun, but with somebody that's never really been in a boat, which is what I was paddling with, it was not fun, it was work.
Different kind of boat, hopefully I can get it under control.

Ok, just a preface, it's been a minute since I've been in a boat, specifically a canoe. Spent a lot of days in a kayak, in the past eight years. Mostly sit on tops, but in rapids built for playboats. With that, I have to say this is the absolute tippiest boat I have ever been in in my life. There's no give at the keel line or side to side. It stays round it's like paddling a 16-ft pop can.
By yourself I could see this boat being a lot of fun, with another person, not so much. In the space of about 6 mi, I rolled this boat or this boat rolled with me six times. I have never flipped a boat that many times. ....
That would be essential a death nail for my wife and I. I don' like tippy canoes or the near constant need to pay attention while on the water. Hope you start to enjoy it.

I do too, unfortunately, I don't think I have the time nor the expertise to spend the time in the boat to get the experience to be able to deal with how tippy the boat is.
I don't think it's an actual ability thing I think it's a learned technique or expertise, nobody on the internet that I could find seems to dislike the boats, or the style of the boat.
It's a nice boat, it's well made, I'm going to give it a chance, I will paddle it a couple more times before winter. There isn't a chance in hell I will paddle this boat in the cold, cuz there is no doubt in my mind I will roll this bastard and end up soaking wet in cold ass weather. Come spring as soon as it starts to warm up my ass is going to be on the water. Hopefully not under the water with the boat.
I do think I'm a bit old to start learning new canoeing techniques, learning to ride a damn sit on top in the freaking rapids was pretty damn hard.
Plus not being able to take somebody with me to just have fun, to just hang out on the water and watch the leaves, or watch the animals and not have to worry about, am I about to roll this boat.
I found, chicks don't dig rolling around in the damn river, once they get past the early twenties. If you have one, enjoy it, cuz that is not the norm.
I hope, I do, that come spring I dig this thread up and right I love this boat I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. And I don't see that happening but at this point that tequila is telling me that it just might. I'll let you know.

I saw those, I'm hoping that by the end of spring I'll be adding to them.
If not it's just a boat, and I do think I can get more than I paid for it.
I'll let you know how it goes next spring.
A bit to cold now.

That you understand there is something to "get" about that particular boat makes me think you'll be successful. One other thing to consider is that the boat was designed with a purpose. Even its name is an indication that it's meant for canoe country. It's also meant to haul gear. My guess is that your boat might be more stable with a load in the bottom of it. That's just a guess, though.

Back