Just bought my first Spyderco

yamsi12

Gold Member
I've been a Kershaw/ZT guy for years. The new ZTs being released haven’t interested me at all so I’ve been branching out more in the knife world to brands I previously hadn’t been interested in. Last week I purchased my first Spydie, a PM2. I had only heard good things about it and it’s basically been touted as one if not the most popular edc knife out there. I must say I’m very impressed with it. It’s just the plane jane black G10 with a satin s30v blade but I really, really like it. It has great ergonomics, fits my hand perfectly and the fidget factor is awesome. I liked it so much I have a camo version coming in the mail this week. Ive been watching YouTube videos of other Spyderco knives and I think my next purchase will be the Manix 2......glad to finally be part of the Spyderco family.

Welcome,
Next you'll be using serrated blades:D
There's plenty to choose from & you started off with a goodun.
Mitch

I've been a Kershaw/ZT guy for years. The new ZTs being released haven’t interested me at all so I’ve been branching out more in the knife world to brands I previously hadn’t been interested in. Last week I purchased my first Spydie, a PM2. I had only heard good things about it and it’s basically been touted as one if not the most popular edc knife out there. I must say I’m very impressed with it. It’s just the plane jane black G10 with a satin s30v blade but I really, really like it. It has great ergonomics, fits my hand perfectly and the fidget factor is awesome. I liked it so much I have a camo version coming in the mail this week. Ive been watching YouTube videos of other Spyderco knives and I think my next purchase will be the Manix 2......glad to finally be part of the Spyderco family.

Welcome to the family! :)

I too was a Kershaw/ZT guy before I started collecting Spyders. I own about an equal number of each; over 125 Spyders and about 90 Kershaws/35 ZTs. My 1st Spyderco knives were a pair of Gen 1 Endura Clip-its, a Gen 1 Merlin and a SpyderCard that I bought in the early 80's (I think). Sold the SpyderCard but still have the 2 Enduras and Merlin. Didn't buy another Spyderco knife until last year but made up for lost time very quickly.

Watch out, based on my experience, collecting Spydercos can become quite addictive. ;)

I love my ZTs, but I agree they are starting to put out stuff I'm just not interested in. I have what I like (470, 562, 566, 0770) and I'm good with that. Spydercos are great, and I have a few! Love my amalgam the most, with the PM2 coming right behind. The manix is no slouch either!

So welcome to the club!

PM2 is classic. Such a versatile design. My main edc is DLC/Camo S30V goodness.

20190812_203338.jpg

Glad you like PM2 OP, I carry one often.
The Manix is a good choice too, the Manix XL is also worth checking out, and as stated above, the Military is an excellent folder.

LTnLRl0.jpg

We
BTW, welcome to our addiction. You will love the Manix 2. I have 3. I carry a lightweight all the time.

Do you know how to sharpen it? Do you have a Sharpmaker?

Look how easy the old guy puts an wicked sharp edge on a knife. Seems he has done this a few times.

Last edited:
Do you know how to sharpen it? Do you have a Sharpmaker?

Look how easy the old guy puts an wicked sharp edge on a knife. Seems he has done this a few times.

It's true... The sharpmaker is one hell of a system. Works best as a maintenance tool, but can be used to reprofile if need be. The diamond rods work very well, but it can take a while depending on how much metal you have to remove. 17 dps down to 15? Not that bad. 20 down to 15? It's gonna be a while! Depends on steel too. 8cr13mov is pretty quick, but anything with a bit of vanadium takes quite a bit longer.

Once you have your 15 degree bevels set though, future work is much quicker! I had to redo my para 3 the other night, still had the factory bevel on it, and it was really fast! And after I was done I whittled hair, so that tells you the quality of the edge!

PM2 is my favorite Spyderco model just the perfect size and weight for me personally EDC wise.

Similar situation. I was EDCing Benchmade and Kershaw. I like the assist models. Did not like the liner lock do much and other reasons for BM. My first recent Spyderco was a couple of months ago, a PM2 in S35VN DLC. That sold me on Spyderco. Realized the compression lock is not ambidextrous so have tried some back locks, and H1 serrated in Salt and Pacific Salt. Wow.

I have a few more Spydercos I want to try now.

Just came in today, already have deep carry clips on both. The PM2 is buttery smooth and is a free dropper. The shaman was smooth the first few flicks but then got really gritty and not smooth at all. Put some tuff glide on and it’s smoothed out. Probably just needs to be broken in.
0-CC0-AF76-08-BB-4-EBA-A642-26343-F7-AF64-D.jpg

9-AF92-E5-D-8-D9-D-4-DB0-9596-90-D81-E502-EAA.jpg

A couple of nice choices. What happened to the manix 2?
That can be the next 1:eek::D
mitch

Back