Just dreaming I guess

All the little 100 series like the 102, 105, 118, 117, 212, 103, seem to have different handle sizes although some seem to share

it would be nice if the custom shop let you chose a blade and a handle to match, within limits. I mean probably not a 102 handle on a 120 blade but I could see someone with small hands wanting the 102 handle and the 105 or 117 blade or the reverse. Sort of a mix and match deal

different materials are all well and good and I like that but I would be happy with picking from 3 or 4 phenolic handle sizes, aluminum fittings, and different blades to match

Last edited:
Yes like I said not all would mix and match but I would think some would plus tangs could be adjusted during making the blade

This is edited from a picture Old Hunter posted i took out the 119, 124, etc. to go with similar size blades. I don't believe the tangs are that different that with a little massaging you couldn't use a 103 handle with a 102 blade

Remember this is a just for fun thought. The bigger reason against it probably isn't technical but economic. Would it pay I am thinking possibly not

btw I like the caper on the left that would be nice with the 102 handle as a EDC utility knife - short and sweet and light

vgoZHl1.jpg

It might be more feasible to grind down a 105 blade than to modify the tang for a longer handle on a 102.

I know what you mean, the times I’ve handled a 102 I couldn’t seem to get the right grasp to control it well. I think if I could grind and reduce the hook knob of the pommel it would help but it is just small. That’s the main reason I went with the 117. It has the handle like a 105 and it fits me just right and the blade length is only 1/2 inch longer than a 102. Overall length of the 117 is the same as a 110 open. If the 102 had the same handle as the 117 I probably would have got one.
The larger 119 has a bit bigger handle than the 117 but I think it works better for the larger, longer blade.

think what ops asking for is the factory makes their blade blanks with long tangs and one could ask for a handle size they like....so all custom lengths from the getgo. think old custom shop with blade lengths pay by the inch for extra deal, but reverse it to handle size.

thats how I'm reading his wish list request.

I'm fine with handle sizes as is on 100 series and other series. I've never needed more handle and/or wanted less on a Buck knife yet.

I actually like the 102 handle just think it would be interesting with different blades. Like the 102 with a 116 blade

I actually like the 102 handle just think it would be interesting with different blades. Like the 102 with a 116 blade
I recall something about the earliest 116's being reshaped from 102's or 118's. That is why there is variation in the shape of the early 116's.

Last edited:
When it comes right down to it when you need a true Custom blade or handle you don't have to wait on Buck..Leroy can make your dreams come true..

Back