just got 2 old double bit axe heads on ebay

i just won these for $20. i plan on putting a handle on one (the top one) and giving the other to a friend or cutting off one side to make a single bit axe (the bottom one). anyone have any other suggestions for the second one.
s-l1600.jpg

The top one has a lot of wear (as shown in photo below, as well), so I suggest making the bottom one the main user (uncut).

s-l1600.jpg

Go nuts! These have no stamp of provenance (which is bad luck) and they're been grinded/sanded well beyond whatever rust pitting might have happened in the past. Simply (trying to) saw one blade off a double bit is going to be way more trouble than it's worth.
These were, at one time, first class tools and learning a bit more about them wouldn't hurt. You might might want to write-off these particular ones and start with unadulterated pieces, if you discover you're really 'into it'.

The top one has a lot of wear (as shown in photo below, as well), so I suggest making the bottom one the main user (uncut).

s-l1600.jpg
Definitely, the top one looks like crap.
Either way though, whoever sold these ruined them with their grinding and or sanding.

the reason i was gonna saw off the top one instead of the bottom one, is because the top one is really thin and the bottom one is a lot thicker

i gave both handles today. i decided not to cut off the end of one. they both are sharp and chop well. they are also very light. i will post pictures when i get my camera back.

That top one might be a Plumb. Is that a square or circle or something stamped in the cheek? Some of those had really thick geometry and rounded bits. So a little toe wear can make them look more worn than they are.

That top one might be a Plumb. Is that a square or circle or something stamped in the cheek? Some of those had really thick geometry and rounded bits. So a little toe wear can make them look more worn than they are.
i have seen other plumb axes and was thinking the same thing. that little circle is just something too deep to grind out easily i don't think its part of a logo or anything
here's a random plumb axe for comparison
plumb-double-bit-cedar-axe-para-el-cedro-texas_1_680f5e4ad4fa608c6976699ba9aef48a.jpg

it also kinda looks like this sager chemical axe
s-l400.jpg

Is that not most likely just a mark ( possibly made with a punch or drill bit ) added by it's owner so they could easily tell the bits apart at a glance ?

Is that not most likely just a mark ( possibly made with a punch or drill bit ) added by it's owner so they could easily tell the bits apart at a glance ?
Could be.
Could also be a mark that Plumb used. The size of stamp seems to be about right for some of their marks and also the location. And with the shape of that axe I have to suspect it is a Plumb. I can't be positive though.
Here is one with a star stamp from a current online listing.

Yesteryear mentions some of the marks but certainly not all of them. http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Plumb Co..html

here are some pictures. i shortened the handles on both. i am definitely not a pro at hanging an axe but i think its solid enough (didn't come loose after testing).
P8210851.JPG

when i use these for extended chopping the bit gets warm, i assume this is from friction. anyone else have this happen?

Back