Just got a frontiersman, got a question about the heads "hang"?

It a very impressive axe.. Im curious about the angle that the head is hung on the handle. it seem like the head cants up and away past 90 degrees from the handle wich seems more than I am used to. My experience with axes is geared more toward wood working and timber hewing. Im guessing the cant up could present more of the blade toward the outside of its arc of swing wich is good for a slashing weapon, while a chopping tool presents more of its blade to the inside of the arc. Some broad axes do cant up wich may have an effect on the parring action of their cut but I think it has more to do with the ergonomics of working a timber blocked up at thigh hight.....thanks,woody

I checked with Paul on this since he designed it......

On this tomahawk in particular, it was designed primarily as a weapon and not a woodworking tool. This will affect the way it's thrown and when using it for parring. This one, when thrown will stick more full bit than some of the other which stick high on the tip of the blade.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Rainier axe have a similar cant off vertical for the head/handle mounting angle?
I immediately liked the balance and "light in the hand" feeling I got swinging the axe while gripping near the bottom of the handle. It chops well enough. I also think it turns faster than hawks of similar weight when throwing. I've just started playing with the Rainier and only thrown it a couple of times. Can't bear the thought of marring the hammer face, but I'll eventually use it for its intended purpose, it's just that it's so nicely polished, I could use it for a shaving mirror.
Anyway back to the point... I think the lengthy blade and distribution of the substantial weight of the head are thoughtfully mated to the handle with its upward angle and produce a more comfortable and efficient tool. Hats off...my two cents.

The Rainier does have a similar cant off vertical as the Frontiersman is very close the Rainier just with a spike. Paul designed both tomahawks and I'm glad you're happy with the Rainier. That polished hammer face was practically an accident as Paul was just cleaning up the edges and it just polished up so nicely. You'll be able to keep a nice finish on it.

Feel free to email or call if you need anything or have any questions.

Back