Just got GSO 3.5 and 4.1

Is there enough size difference to justify the two? I just got a 6 and 3.5. I like how compact the 3.5 is, but my hands are a little too large for the thin handle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416536060.126034.jpg

I'm equally happy for and insanely jealous of you guys =)

Alchemy1, is that a used 6? It looks like an awesome blade without the choil. Have you gotten to use it much?

Both those sets look great ! There's just something about these knives . Here's the GSO 5 and Necker II I have , so far anyway ;)

P1070465_zps1ac0dd96.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm equally happy for and insanely jealous of you guys =)

Alchemy1, is that a used 6? It looks like an awesome blade without the choil. Have you gotten to use it much?

Thank you! It is a used 6. Just got it in the mail from a member here. I live the fact it does not have a choil. I have not used it a ton, but I can tell you that I like it more than the Esee 6 I had.

Alchemy , I bet that GSO 6 will be an awesome camp knife . I hope Guy doesn't change the GSO 6 too much . It's the only GSO bigger than my 5 that I "might" consider moving up to at some point .

Very nice! I think we have the same 3.5. What steel is yours in?

Alchemy , I bet that GSO 6 will be an awesome camp knife . I hope Guy doesn't change the GSO 6 too much . It's the only GSO bigger than my 5 that I "might" consider moving up to at some point .

Yeah, I can't wait to see the changes. I need to do a warranty claim with him when they get set up again. The sheath rubs the blade and it has scuffed up the blade. Not a huge issue, but...you know.

In another thread we determined the even balance of the 5, so... where is the balance point on that 6?

In another thread we determined the even balance of the 5, so... where is the balance point on that 6?

If you cup your hand, there is just enough friction to make it balance, but if you hold your hand flat, it is slightly blade heavy. Same thing if you try to balance it on your finger.

I feel stock GSO 6 have more of a forward balance towards the tip. trying the finger balance thing on a 6 will have the tip ending up in your toes.

Thank you! It is a used 6. Just got it in the mail from a member here. I live the fact it does not have a choil. I have not used it a ton, but I can tell you that I like it more than the Esee 6 I had.

I can think of reasons like materials or maybe blade design, but since you've actually handled both, what do you like better about the GSO vs the ESEE?

I feel stock GSO 6 have more of a forward balance towards the tip. trying the finger balance thing on a 6 will have the tip ending up in your toes.

Ha, good point. All balancing in moderation.

I can think of reasons like materials or maybe blade design, but since you've actually handled both, what do you like better about the GSO vs the ESEE?

Ha, good point. All balancing in moderation.

I'm not a fan of the choil. It's not a deal breaker, but it's not my first preference. The scales are a little thin for me and even though I bought $50 scales for my Esee 3, I don't want to keep spending $50 to modify a $100-$150 blade. I also do not like linen micarta and that's what my Esee 6 came with. I also prefer the non coated blades on the GSO's to the coated blade of the 6. Once again, you can strip an Esee, but I didn't go that route.

Those are the things, other than material upgrades, that made me trade off my Esee 6 for a GSO 6. Not that I dislike Esee. I still own 2 3's and an Izula ll.

Pardon the stream of conscious post and I apologize for the derailment of the thread to the OG poster. I hope the info is helpful to all and not a detection from your post.

If anyone is to blame, it's me...

I think the discussion is helpful. One of my favorite things about the forum is getting direct user feedback from people on knives I'll never get to hold. Between pics and Q and A on knives I feel way more informed on blades and possible purchases than I would by reading a vendor description of a knife.

Yay bladeforums!

I agree about the pics, comparisons, and q&a. Sometimes it gets a little tricky though. Some people are just totally for, or against, a product/company and they don't have a reasonable reason. Which is fine. You have a right to have an opinion and spend your money how you see fit. However, that's not fair to the person that is trying to get an honest, open minded, opinion. Then there are the people that get products from companies or are sponsored by companies and would say anything to keep getting product/$$$ from said company. We all know how those "reviews" go.

Alchemy, you make some good points. I usually never take one post or one review as absolute truth. By reading thoughts from different people on the same topic I can get a sense of who might be like minded and I can see recurring themes. If multiple, varied sources say a blade is good for reasons I'm looking for then I feel good about a purchase even if I couldn't hold it myself.

Back