• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Just ordered a Benchmade Super Freek in M4

Former Benchmade Griptillian owner here. It was a tough decision between PM2 in Maxamet and Benchmade Super Freak in M4. Originally looked at the benchmade bailout in 3V but found it it was a complete fail at 56 HRC with a fragile handle. Was so close to switching over to Spyderco but I just love Benchmade and M4 steel. I was wondering, how does M4 compare to Maxamet? I know Maxamet's edge retention is even better than S110V which is why I wasn't even considering the blurple PM2, but I just love toughness in a steel. Maxamet has been rated at 67 HRC on some knives whereas Benchmade's M4 for the Super Freek goes up to 64 HRC. So how would those two steels compare?

Look up Cedric&Ada. He does some great reviews on different steels. Maximet and 110V are already recorded. Hope this helps.

Spyderco has not had fallout from a business choice that customers considered political. Benchmade has. Plus, Benchmade has had some quality control issues off and on for a few years.

Spyderco seems to have a little better quality control and great ergonomics. These last two are probably the main reasons but, the comments above may play a role also.

There are plenty of Benchmade fans here. Myself being one of them.

The Freek series are nice knives. I know of one person that got one and all but ignores his Griptilian now.

Last edited:
BEN560BK-1801-2__74702.1533222221.jpg

Still waiting for some FREEK Ti scales.

I love my spydercos. My Benchmade obsession started last year with a knifeworks contego. Then I got a crooked river. I then proceeded to buy 7 more benchmades (including 2 customs) in a month and a half. The Super Freek is probably my favorite knife, I cannot stop carrying it. You will love it.

And I love that jade handled one... I must have it!

Former Benchmade Griptillian owner here. It was a tough decision between PM2 in Maxamet and Benchmade Super Freak in M4. Originally looked at the benchmade bailout in 3V but found it it was a complete fail at 56 HRC with a fragile handle. Was so close to switching over to Spyderco but I just love Benchmade and M4 steel. I was wondering, how does M4 compare to Maxamet? I know Maxamet's edge retention is even better than S110V which is why I wasn't even considering the blurple PM2, but I just love toughness in a steel. Maxamet has been rated at 67 HRC on some knives whereas Benchmade's M4 for the Super Freek goes up to 64 HRC. So how would those two steels compare?

Maxamet has one of the best edge retentions available that is similarly hard to sharpen. M4 is still a beast in the edge retention department but has pretty good toughness and is a favorite steel of mine and wished more mid-sized fixed blades came in it, but I'm pleased with the Vanadis 4E that is available and reasonably similar from custom knife makers, especially from Europe.

So, maxamet has better edge retention and considerably less toughness. CPM M4 has great edge retention and much better toughness than maxamet.

For the record, I the bailout handle is probably not as fragile as you would think. Modern composites are tough as heck because they flex instead of break. But, I do think they missed the boat on the hardness of the steel. The only benefit I can see there is the ease of sharpening in the field, but then just go with a less expensive steel like 5160, 52100, or A2 if you want that little bit of stain resistance like 3V.

Check out knifesteel nerds and search for maxamet or M4. Really, almost any article will have a graph of steel toughness and a chart with relative edge holding as compared to 440C.
Here's the toughness graph from the most recent article as it was easy to get from the main page. You're probably looking at nearly double (or more) the toughness with CPM M4 at 62-64 HRC (BM spec for contego) compared to Maxamet at 67.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03...-3rd-generation-powder-metallurgy-technology/
high-alloy-toughness-2-3-2020.jpg

Maxamet has one of the best edge retentions available that is similarly hard to sharpen. M4 is still a beast in the edge retention department but has pretty good toughness and is a favorite steel of mine and wished more mid-sized fixed blades came in it, but I'm pleased with the Vanadis 4E that is available and reasonably similar from custom knife makers, especially from Europe.

So, maxamet has better edge retention and considerably less toughness. CPM M4 has great edge retention and much better toughness than maxamet.

For the record, I the bailout handle is probably not as fragile as you would think. Modern composites are tough as heck because they flex instead of break. But, I do think they missed the boat on the hardness of the steel. The only benefit I can see there is the ease of sharpening in the field, but then just go with a less expensive steel like 5160, 52100, or A2 if you want that little bit of stain resistance like 3V.

Check out knifesteel nerds and search for maxamet or M4. Really, almost any article will have a graph of steel toughness and a chart with relative edge holding as compared to 440C.
Here's the toughness graph from the most recent article as it was easy to get from the main page. You're probably looking at nearly double (or more) the toughness with CPM M4 at 62-64 HRC (BM spec for contego) compared to Maxamet at 67.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03...-3rd-generation-powder-metallurgy-technology/
high-alloy-toughness-2-3-2020.jpg
Nice! Looking at that graph, I'm definitely happy I went with M4 over Maxamet. I know there's a of other factors besides steel composition such as blade geometry, etc. that affects performance. Though if I could, Z Tuff would of been ideal for me.

Just got my Super Freek in! Sold my old griptilian along with all its memories on offer up I gotta say, this Super Freek in M4 with G10 scales instead of those FRN ones on the griptilian is on another level. The way it opens and closes is so zippy. When I'd close my griptilian, the sound would echo through those cheap feeling FRN scales emitting a hollow sound. The fact that M4 has tungsten in it as well is insane. And the DLC blade cost is absolute quality. The red anodized standoffs are a beauty as well. I'd say this knife is even more appealing than the upgraded griptilian in 20CV with G10 scales. I had the sheepsfoot griptilian too with the hole. The Super Freek has a thumbstud which I enjoy more as well since it's right in my thumb's way.

By the way, I had a PM2 come in this week as well while I was busy ordering knives and cancelling orders lol and although the PM2 looked and felt amazing as well, I just couldn't leave benchmade. I hated the compression lock on the PM2 so I returned it. Not to say compression lock sucks, it's just that at the end of the day your hand will let you know whether it agrees with a knife or not. The hole in the blade makes the blade have that huge lump on it too. It felt more like a surgical instrument in my hand than anything. Wouldn't want to baton down on a PM2 or let alone pry with it. I wanted to upgrade to a higher end Benchmade than the griptilian and this was it!

Speaking of prying guys, I have had to pry many times using my old griptilian. Anything from nails to prying on my work truck door after locking my keys inside.

Last edited:
Just got my Super Freek in! Sold my old griptilian along with all its memories on offer up I gotta say, this Super Freek in M4 with G10 scales instead of those FRN ones on the griptilian is on another level. The way it opens and closes is so zippy. When I'd close my griptilian, the sound would echo through those cheap feeling FRN scales emitting a hollow sound. The fact that M4 has tungsten in it as well is insane. And the DLC blade cost is absolute quality. The red anodized standoffs are a beauty as well. I'd say this knife is even more appealing than the upgraded griptilian in 20CV with G10 scales. I had the sheepsfoot griptilian too with the hole. The Super Freek has a thumbstud which I enjoy more as well since it's right in my thumb's way.

By the way, I had a PM2 come in this week as well while I was busy ordering knives and cancelling orders lol and although the PM2 looked and felt amazing as well, I just couldn't leave benchmade. I hated the compression lock on the PM2 so I returned it. Not to say compression lock sucks, it's just that at the end of the day your hand will let you know whether it agrees with a knife or not. The hole in the blade makes the blade have that huge lump on it too. It felt more like a surgical instrument in my hand than anything. Wouldn't want to baton down on a PM2 or let alone pry with it. I wanted to upgrade to a higher end Benchmade than the griptilian and this was it!

Speaking of prying guys, I have had to pry many times using my old griptilian. Anything from nails to prying on my work truck door after locking my keys inside.

I don't like the compression lock either. A lot of people really like it so I'm sure that PM2 will find a home. I actually really like the larger military with the bulky liner lock, but the comp lock never quite did it for me and it's one of my least favorite locks. But, different strokes for different folks.

On the prying piece with the PM2, it has a thinner tip for better slicing but is a little more fragile. The knife construction itself is really solid though. I actually like the Manix better for that size (3-3.5" blade) and the spyderco native 5 is still my favorite spyderco that I've tried for EDC. I have an M4 native 5 that gets regular carry and an S35vn that carries in my work vest daily.

Back