Just Placed an order for the Congress Tool MoldMaster

I have the 240, 400 and 600 grit on the way. After doing a lot of research on this Forum and over at Spyderco's Forum a lot of praise came from these stones to augment the Sharpmaker Platform. I also have a new found admiration for Diamond Paste Compound. I currently have 7,5,3,1 and 0.5 micron sizes and boy oh boy you can really tell the difference coming off my Basswood Strop. So now I have my Hapstone for down and dirty serious work and the Sharpmaker for quick and easy touchups and sharpening's.

Last edited:
I've had some of their EDM stones for years...(aluminum oxide)...but just got a few sets of the Mold Masters in 320 and 400 the other day, both for the Edge Pro and Sharpmaker.

I have the MoldMaster stones and Superfine and use them with my Tsprof and they both work great,I would strongly recommend to stay away from the stones they call regular I got an 800 grit and it just wears way to fast it wore so fast on my Tsprof the first time I used it wash boarded meaning the sureface of the stone looked like water after you skip a rock across it just rippled they wear to fast for sharpening knives.

I have heard guys say the Ruby stones are really good to but they only go up to 320 great,I also find the MoldMasters and Superfine stones don't load at all and the little bit that the Superfine load I just wash off under running water and rub them with my hand and anything left over in the stone comes off the next time I sharpen because these stones break down at a nice pace.

They also sell the stones in 1x1x6 as well for anyone who wants to mount them to a blank and does not want to have to change the stone as often.

The only thing to watch for is call them and ask if they can make sure all of the stones are 6 inch's or measure a stone your happy with in length in millimeters at a max length and ask them to make sure none of them are any longer then that length you want because the first set I got I think 2 stones and 1 for sure was a bit longer then a blank and needed to be cut witch I could not.

The only thing to watch for is call them and ask if they can make sure all of the stones are 6 inch's or measure a stone your happy with in length in millimeters at a max length and ask them to make sure none of them are any longer then that length you want because the first set I got I think 2 stones and 1 for sure was a bit longer then a blank and needed to be cut witch I could not.

I mounted four this past weekend, two Mold Master 320's and two 400's. All four are longer than the Edge Pro stones, (which appear to be slightly undersized), but thankfully just fit the blanks and onto the machine without issue.

(The triangles I received in the same grit fit the Sharpmaker base just fine.)

I think your caution is well advised to avoid disappointment.

I didn't see a post by him in the referenced thread, but Jim Ankerson recommends using Windex with the Mold Masters and it's because of his enthusiasm for the 320 & 400 grit that I picked them up.

Thanks, Jim.

Thanks for all your positive post's! Your post's are inline on what I have been reading in this forum and others, so that being said I feel I made the wise choice in choosing these stones to augment my Sharpmaker. Like the comment about the Windex, I'll have to give it a try. Interesting comment about the 1 x 6 (EdgePro) stones as I have a Hapstone V7 which is built on the same style as the EdgePro.

Another plus is that the Moldmasters are relatively inexpensive so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to try another idea if the first doesn't pan out.

I think the total for my most recent order came to $48 shipped for four 1/2" x 6" triangles, and four 1" x 6" rectangles. They were out of triangles so I had to wait a couple days extra for them to make some up for me.

I have the 240, 400 and 600 grit on the way. After doing a lot of research on this Forum and over at Spyderco's Forum a lot of praise came from these stones to augment the Sharpmaker Platform. I also have a new found admiration for Diamond Paste Compound. I currently have 7,5,3,1 and 0.5 micron sizes and boy oh boy you can really tell the difference coming off my Basswood Strop. So now I have my Hapstone for down and dirty serious work and the Sharpmaker for quick and easy touchups and sharpening's.

What angle do you do touch ups at - 30 or 40?

That would depend on the angle of your bevel. It's safe to say that most times a "touch up" is going to be at 40* unless you have a very thinly ground, scary sharp knife edge. Otherwise, you'd be re-profiling more than touching up.

That would depend on the angle of your bevel. It's safe to say that most times a "touch up" is going to be at 40* unless you have a very thinly ground, scary sharp knife edge. Otherwise, you'd be re-profiling more than touching up.

^^^ Yes, I do concur...

40, and if I go to re-profile then I go to 30. With the limitations of the Sharpmaker as is, of all the knives I have, I could only modestly re-profile my ATS-55 Endura. With purchase of of these SiC Stones from Congress, it enhances the Sharpmaker's abilities.

Last edited:
I didn't see a post by him in the referenced thread, but Jim Ankerson recommends using Windex with the Mold Masters and it's because of his enthusiasm for the 320 & 400 grit that I picked them up.

Thanks, Jim.
I also took Ankerson's advice and went with SIC MoldMasters in 400 and 600 grit. I have noticed that the 400 forms a lot of slurry, but seems to do a good job. The 600 comes next, with little slurry and that works very well also.

I also took Ankerson's advice and went with SIC MoldMasters in 400 and 600 grit. I have noticed that the 400 forms a lot of slurry, but seems to do a good job. The 600 comes next, with little slurry and that works very well also.
Could you provide link? Interested!

Hi,

Can I ask one of you for a huge favor?

I live in Denmark, and I have not been able to have any Congress Tool MoldMaster stones shipped here.
If one of you is ordering MoldMaster stones, will you order some for me, and ship them to Denmark, where I live?
I shall happily pay for my stones, the entire shipping of our joint order and the shipping to Denmark! I'll just need your Paypal address.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
These stones are truly amazing, I have the 150 and 400 grit stones and I have been bringing up new edges on ALL my knives. Please use them wet and rewet them every 5 minutes or so. They will slurry, you will love them for that, even though the slurry will fall down on the sharpmaker (but that's a non-issue IMO).

They will clog up faster than you think, so if you're reprofiling multiple knives, don't. Finish one knife on the moldmasters, clean them, then start on the next knife. If you're just sharpening multiple knives, then I can verify that it's not an issue. Reprofiling on these stones takes time and patience.

A couple of notes: The grits that I have work well on good edges, meaning that they will make quick work of factory fresh edges. If like me, you have put your (kitchen) knives through a terrible carbide sharpener... Let's just say that I'll be putting in an order for some 80 grit to chew through my mistakes. (I learned a lot in a year haha)

I can relate to what wade7575 wade7575 said about the stone skipping water, because I have another silicon carbide stone that is more dished than a chicago pizza:p. Although I haven't experienced that with my own triangular stones yet, I will probably be learning how to dress and level stones soon, and treat them with the same respect as a regular sharpening stone.

DeadboxHero DeadboxHero and to anyone else reading this, I think it might be slightly better to get the thin rectangular stones for the sharpmaker, because I think that once my stones dish, the ability to maintain the correct angles would become redundant. But then again, I have A LOT of knives left to sharpen, and sharpen, and sharpen...

I have also heard of Congress' Ruby stones suggested here on the forums. what difference would the Ruby have from the Moldmasters. which is preferred?

Back