Just Received A Drunken - My Initial Impressions

sgt1372

Platinum Member
Posted the following message regarding my initial impressions of the Drunken in a thread in the General Discussion Forum but, just in case people here don't see it there, I thought I'd crosspost it here as well:

Just received a Drunken. :)

Spyderco-Drunken-folding-knife-carbon-fiber-S90V-blade-steel-titanium-edc-tool-1.jpg

Nice knife. Smaller, thinner and lighter than I thought it would be. The design/size of the pivot screw (as well as the general shape of the blade and handle) is very reminiscent of a ZT.

Closest knife that I have like it (in terms of design/size/weight) is a ZT0770, which is slightly lighter and smaller. It's nothing like a ZT0456 in terms of size/shape, which feels very heavy, fat and bulky in my hand; not so the Drunken. Don't have a 0456CF and have never handled one, but I doubt that it's as light as the Drunken is either.

I like the rippled ("drunken") pattern on the CF which reflects the light in a very pleasing way; the Ti back scale is rippled to match but isn't as attractive as the CF to me. I also like the muted blue annodized pivot screw head & clip; very understated. Would have looked better IMO if they annodized the polished heads of the scale/clip screws to match or at least left them unpolished instead. On the other hand, there's no lock stick and I like the polished "stonewashed" looking finish of the S90V blade which is similar in appearance to the Hanan and other Southard blades.

The things that I don't like are: 1) the raised tip of the clip which I can feel poking my (3rd and/or 4th) finger tips when opening the knife using the Spydie hole w/my thumb which is annoying; already pressed the tip down slightly, which reduces but does not entirely eliminate the problem, 2) the body of the clip lies very flat against the scale, which makes it difficult to slide the knife into/out of my pocket; don't think flattening the tip had any affect on this; may not use the clip as a result and 3) the fact that you can't use your 3rd finger to flick it open (the Ti liner lock is in the way). Lefties also won't like that it is a right hand only knife.

However, I just discovered that the detent is light enough so that I can wrist flick the knife open w/out using the Spydie hole; just like I can wrist flick open a Starmate. So, the inability to flick open the knife w/your 3rd finger is irrelevant. Some may not like this but I certainly do. Just add a better designed clip and I'd be entirely happy.

So, is it "worth" $409.50 at MAP? It is if you like it and are willing to pay the price. Not, if you're not. The clip aside, I like it and plan to keep it.

Last edited:
Love the design and the execution. But the steel doesn’t do anything to get one in my shopping cart. M390 or 20CV would.

This knife looks great. To me however the biggest turnoff is the size. It is too small.

Have one. Love the design and is now my favorite knife, but not without flaws. But then I have never seen a knife that didn't have issues. As for detent mine is EXACTLY like every PM2 I have ever had. Can it be shook out if you tried hard enough, sure. So what. I don't walk around shaking knives. And it will never open in my pocket. Non issue to me personally.

Love the knife and it is a keeper for me.

If it was m390 and had a better clip it would be a homerun

I'd be happy w/just a redesigned clip.

And, after spending a day w/it, I'd be much happier w/it if it had a flipper tab too. The ergos for holding/cutting are fine but not ideal for me for opening either w/the thumb or by wrist/gravity flicking it. A flipper tab would simply make it easier to open, which is why I like flippers generally.

FYI, Nick Shabazz has already posted a "disassembly and initial impression" video of the Drunken here:

He likes the knife overall but is not fond of the clip (or the ergos) but is impressed by the machining required to create the rippled ("drunken") effect on the outside of the CF/Ti scales (as well as the extensive machining done inside the Ti scale) which to him helps explain the cost. He discusses the "problems" w/the clip at about 12:30 mins into the video.

Last edited:
looks like a great knife, even for it size. I like s90v and it's a good steel. the price point is just to much for me though. for those who can afford 'em enjoy it and keep sharing pics with us. thanks.

Nice review. It's an interesting little knife, but for me the bigger Ti CF S90V Millie is what I want in a knife. And since it carries in the left hand pocket, you can always carry something like an Amalgam or the Drunken on the other side.

Last edited:
Looks like they copied several ZTs and merged them together. No thanks.
Lol how? It's Sinkevitch design. I have alot of zt's and this doesn't look like any of them in design or construction. The only one with a similar design shape is the zt 0456. And that was designed by Sinkevitch. The spyderco being better quality, construction and design except for the clip. Not to mention the blade is actually useful as it's thin behind the edge unlike the zt's overall. I just don't get your comment as it just doesn't make sense.

Love the design and the execution. But the steel doesn’t do anything to get one in my shopping cart. M390 or 20CV would.

This. S90V is a decent steel, but nowhere near as refined as 20CV or others.

Same for me - I do not care for s90v.

At the risk of derailment, to those who are not super fond of S90V, can you give a brief explanation why? I’ve never tried it.

Lol how? It's Sinkevitch design. I have alot of zt's and this doesn't look like any of them in design or construction. The only one with a similar design shape is the zt 0456. And that was designed by Sinkevitch. The spyderco being better quality, construction and design except for the clip. Not to mention the blade is actually useful as it's thin behind the edge unlike the zt's overall. I just don't get your comment as it just doesn't make sense.

It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's just my opinion. Like it or don't'; makes no difference to me.

At the risk of derailment, to those who are not super fond of S90V, can you give a brief explanation why? I’ve never tried it.

Most likely they will say its difficult to sharpen. I dont get it either. IMO S90v is as good as 20cv if not better. My s90v millie can attest that.

Reactions: Mo2
Mate thanks for the review:thumbsup:
I really like the look of it but the name sure doesn't appeal.
Thanks
Mitch

Really like this knife but the price turns me off. Would have also preferred 20cv or m390 for now I will stick with my chef.

After inspecting my Drunken closely, I noticed that the butt of the pocket clip is not shaped according to that recessed part of the scale where it should sit. I may have to file it to match the shape of the recess.

Not the end of the world, as I have had a similar experience with CRK small Inkosi before. They said the clips are out sourced to their standard but sometimes it happens to them.

Last edited:
Back