Just received a new folder - PDW

vjb.knife

Gold Member
I like the way this one is constructed. The frame is one piece Titanium with G10 scales and an M390 blade. I believe PDW has them made by Protech. The fit and finish are first rate.
I'll just show pictures.
Invictus%20Manual%2002-L.jpg

Invictus%20Manual%2001-L.jpg

Invictus%20Manual%2004-L.jpg

Invictus%20Manual%2003-L.jpg

Invictus%20Manual%2005-L.jpg

Invictus%20Manual%2006-L.jpg

Looks good! Reminds me of the Applegate-Fairbairn folders.

Very nice, I almost picked one up but I don't like finger choils on the blade. Other than that it's a great knife.

Looks good! Reminds me of the Applegate-Fairbairn folders.
I had not thought of that but I guess you are right, it does have some of that look to it. At any rate it is very nicely made and if Protech was the maker they did a solid job of it.

Indeed sir, you are correct. That is because most of the design elements originates from the same designer: Patrick Ma. I think Mike Vagnino had some design input, as well.

I had not thought of that but I guess you are right, it does have some of that look to it. At any rate it is very nicely made and if Protech was the maker they did a solid job of it.

Hate to break it to you but the recent stuff from PDW/Terrain 365 is definitely not made by Protech in the USA (oh trust me, I wish it was made by Protech here in the states, or any other stateside shop). Otherwise they would advertise "Made in USA." Funny enough, I only got a hint that the Terrain 365 Invictus-AT was made elsewhere from KnifeCenter because they explicitly state on the Invictus-AT product page, at the bottom of the specifications list, that the knife is just "Imported"; there's actually no country of origin.

I believe, last knife that's PDW original design that was made in USA is their Production Badger (which I actually really like despite the Teflon washers).

In any case, I'd reckon it's the same OEM manufacature that MBK, Artisan, and few other use (so likely Bestech but obviously can't definitively say because they don't advertise that).

Still good stuff and I wish I could have gotten in on the drop, sold out in less than an hour, as far as I know (I checked my e-mail an hour after the drop and, of course, by that time, it was sold out, so likely less than 30 minutes before they were all gone).

Last edited:
It is disappointing that it may not be a USA product. I did not really think that Protech made them, it just did not look their work. I have one of the older Invictus Auto model which I have heard were made by Protech.

It is disappointing that it may not be a USA product. I did not really think that Protech made them, it just did not look their work. I have one of the older Invictus Auto model which I have heard were made by Protech.

See, I stand corrected... completely forgot about the autos. I believe those were released after the Badger. Those definitely had strong cues towards Protech being the OEM (the button and clip come to mind). I honestly think Protech could have carried the fire for PDW and made a constant stream of Made in USA manual PDW Invictus (Ti frame locks or Al button locks). I don't think the price would have been that far off from current manual folders (mainly the Invictus-AT) that they offer, either. Protech did a fantastic job on their TR-3 manual knives and the price was more than fair. Adding in the additional work the Invictus design would need, a slighter more uber steel (c'mon who doesn't want the latest and greatest?), the price would likely have hovered around 400. An integral folder would have probably fetched a bit but still would likely have been pretty reasonable.

I'm gonna speculate it was probably better margins for them to move the stuff to overseas manufacturing. It's honestly not like there isn't a high demand (albeit, maybe artificial) for their hard goods.

Yes and no. It is disappointing that, as an American Company, they didn't have their "magnum opus," so to speak, of a knife that they, themselves, considered the "apex of [PDW's] purpose driven, refined, functional tool aesthetic, design and production ethos" not made here in the USA. However, I feel feel more strongly that they made the conscious and deliberate choice to obfuscate the origin of manufacture because of likely backlash. The good thing is I do find it refreshing to see skilled labor from other places being recognized as skill labor without the stigma of perceived second class country of origin. Whether those folks actually get paid a fair amount is neither there nor there and I'm going off topic...

I think the MBK company looks like a probable source. I had not heard of them before but they have a folder called the XLC on their site which has some design similarities with this PDW knife. It was designed by Ray Laconico and has an integral Ti frame. Yeah, I don't want to get into it but if I had thought that this PDW knife was made in china I would not have bought it. I like it and think it is a nice piece of work but still have a political and ethical problem with chinese goods. Regardless of that PDW like TAD Gear will always sell out every knife they offer in pretty short order.

I think the MBK company looks like a probable source. I had not heard of them before but they have a folder called the XLC on their site which has some design similarities with this PDW knife. It was designed by Ray Laconico and has an integral Ti frame. Yeah, I don't want to get into it but if I had thought that this PDW knife was made in china I would not have bought it. I like it and think it is a nice piece of work but still have a political and ethical problem with chinese goods. Regardless of that PDW like TAD Gear will always sell out every knife they offer in pretty short order.

Well, without getting even more off topic... MBK is a little collaboration project between Sanford Owen (current owner of Carmel Cutlery) and Ray Laconico. I dig the idea that they can bring some of Laconico's designs at a much more affordable level. However, to keep the prices pretty reasonable given the current economic climate, they just have to have production overseas and in mainland China. I concur with the whole political/ethical issue but I feel that discussion would be better suited over a glass of scotch and comfy chair.

Like you stated before, whoever MBK, PDW, etc. are using as their OEM, the quality is there. I have handled the EZC 2.0, which is also an integral, and it was a very well built folder. It's just kinda of bummer that they're 100% made overseas.

Well back onto PDW. Biggest design critique I have is the low saber grind and relatively thick blade stock. I'm not crazy about behind the edge thicknesses and edge angles, but, man, the edges are beyond Busse fixed blade level thick without the the benefit of having an actual tough steel or a stronger lock. Though, that's part of the signature look, I guess. I stopped carrying my production Dauntless MK3 because the knife just binds up in stuff during actual use. The PDW Badger is only marginally better.

Objectively, as a cutting implement, Patrick Ma's design is honestly subpar and the marketing lingo that goes with it is certainly a little excessive. Aesthetically, the design certainly has its merits. Also, as you have stated, whatever they make will be eaten up quickly. The following that they have built up certainly doesn't hurt their sales.

Last edited:
I saw that they sold some again. The first round I just came across by accident when there were some available. I have so infrequently been able to get any of the PDW or TAD knives that when I saw they were in stock I was going to get one almost regardless of what it was. It just took a small dip into the black ops account.

Well you should have no trouble getting rid of it if you want, so that's good.

Well you should have no trouble getting rid of it if you want, so that's good.

Nope! Not gonna happen. Finally scored one, it ain't leaving. :D

While, it's good that the demand is high, I'm still not a proponent of it being artificially manufactured. I was all about to give up on trying to get one since PDW clearly stated "it is unlikely we will run this version again." Then they go on and release one black G-10. What's next an all TI version?

That knife is a beaut! What were they priced at?

I scored one. People are fawning over them but I’m not blown away (in part because of location of manufacture which for some reason is left mysteriously vague).

Back