Just Wanted to Share!!! :)

Hey guys just sharing some of the knives I have made. I am 21 years old and made my first knife last march. I suffered a spinal cord stroke on my 19th birthday at the 2nd to 4th vertebrae leaving me paralyzed from the neck down, but after 4 months in the ICU, 5 months on a ventilator and many more months of physical and occupational therapy I regained some use in my hands, arms and upper torso.
I decided to make my first knives just because I thought I could not do it and wanted to challenge myself. After the first couple I people started to want to buy them so I made my hobby into a humble business allowing me to buy a scroll saw and a drill press. I do everything completely by hand with no jigs, the only thing I have help with is heat treating where I need dad to quench the blade after I heat it with the torch.
Here is the first one I made using nothing but a dremel and some diamond stones, and some scrap cedar and saw blade.
20170428_173925%201_zpsbclj2dia.jpg

The next was after I decided I could actually do this, so I went and bought a harbor freight grinder and made this little guy
20170517_123450_zpsun2xiuqq.jpg

After a couple more I started making much larger and more complex knives like these, and got better at leatherwork.
20171105_174355_zpsxfvuqnje.jpg
20171013_184535_zps6iisc7z3.jpg

20171013_184810_zpsuazzgt6n.jpg

My first kitchen Knife!!!
20171217_130523_zpskqzdcnud.jpg

I eventually started buying some tool steel and micarta to work with and made these guys: top is o1 and brown linen micarta, middle and o1 and oak handles, bottom is made from a saw blade with linen micarta handles.
20171224_152645_zpsvvetcttw.jpg

(Still not the best at leatherwork but I am getting there lol):D
20171223_155442%202_zps7apiq7ga.jpg

Here is my most recent knife, o1 steel with black paper micarta handles, red liners and also my first kydex sheath using a press me and my dad made.
20180113_182623_zpsgu6evctt.jpg

And here are my current blades im working a friend, both in 1095. Im finally getting better at grinding!!!! :)
20180110_154320_zpsfk5vwdwq.jpg
20180111_182405_zpsqy7yf3lj.jpg

I have suffered a lot of anxiety and depression over the last few years, but I am still a blessed man to have a supportive family that helps me pay for tools and materials to do what I love. Making knives has really given me a great breakaway from my disability knowing I can do something that even a lot able bodied people cant. Let me know what you guys think and if you would like to see more knives as I finish them! I am working on my first friction folder now!

Well done, keep your head up and keep moving forward.
I do like the black paper micarta warncliff, it really reminds me of Spydercos Ronin.

Keep at it and you'll be fine as it may be a calling that you should make knives. Stay strong young man and will be praying for you. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great job young man .Your knife making is progressing faster than mine keep at it. W.B.

You can see your progression, glad you found something to do that you love. That is important. Good luck and keep it up!

Thank you everyone very much for your kind words. Its a great feeling to have something to look forward to every day when I wake up, I cant say I had that feeling a few years ago.

Well done, keep your head up and keep moving forward.
I do like the black paper micarta warncliff, it really reminds me of Spydercos Ronin.
Thank you, oddly enough that was one that I kind of just winged it and drew with the grinder. But I was surpised how nice it feels in the hand and I think Im going to make myself one with a modified sheepsfoot blade

Here are my latest projects for anyone that is interested! sorry for all the dirt and poor pictures, I had just taken the tape off the blades after sanding the handles.
20180119_165721_zpstmwkh3fl.jpg
20180119_165737_001_zpsdmq5xheg.jpg

And my first attempt at a folder, still far from finished but it does indeed fold lol
20180120_185925_zpsqg9zhaav.jpg
20180120_185956_zpsf4wctg07.jpg

Good work guy! You'll be selling here before you know it! Nice to have something to do with your pops! Good bless you kind sir!

Good work guy! You'll be selling here before you know it! Nice to have something to do with your pops! Good bless you kind sir!
Thank you very much! My dad is very proud of my progress given my disability. I plan to start selling on here some time later this year but Im just sticking to local that way if something is wrong with the knife I can fix it without having to have it shipped back. Thank you again for your kind words, you guys are the reason I keep logging in everyday!

Shit dude, I don't even know you and I'm proud of you! It's people like you that remind me that I'm blessed to be healthy my son included! I'd be honored to buy a knife from you brother!

Knife making seems to make you very happy, it’s that kind of passion that make people great, keep up the amazing work, never give up and you will be excellent at what you do.

Knife making seems to make you very happy, it’s that kind of passion that make people great, keep up the amazing work, never give up and you will be excellent at what you do.
It does bring me a lot of joy. I have always wanted to make my own knives since I was a teen but never thought I would ever be able to do it. I at the conclusion now that you can do anything you set your mind too with enough determination and hard work, and a lot of stubbornness. :)

Pretty nice to see the progress :D
I love it! I still cant believe how far I have come since last spring. Im about to attempt my interpretation of a quaken with a handle that is going to be rather ambitious. I cant wait to start working on it and share it with all the nice people of this forum!

Side note, thank you to everyone for the well wishes and kind words, this is the reason I frequent this forum so often because the kind and supportive community that we have here. I will continue to hone my skills and look forward to showing off my work as I progress through this new year. God bless you all!!!

Back