K Bar or SEAL 2000 or Tigershark?

Ok I know this is the SOG forum so the answers will be biased but I want to know why I should get a SEAl or Tigershark knife instead of a Kbar? I already own the SEAl Pup and its great. And I have a brand new KBAR I can sell at work. Why is the SEAL better than the KBAR? Convert me...

Why is the Seal and/or Tigershark better than a Kabar, or vice versa ?? I'll be "objective" since I don't really have a clue.

I'll first offer these technical details. I took a caliper to the Kabar and the blade thickness at the hilt measures 0.169". The Seal measures 0.233". The Tigershark measures 0.248". All measurements are nominal and are +/- 0.001" since I got differing values depending on exact location and personal technique.
Personally, I'm in the "thicker is better" brigade.

The second technical detail is the height of the blade at the hilt. The Kabar is 1.234" and stays that way out toward the point. The Seal is 1.093" at the hilt but gets taller toward the point, up to about 1.276" just in front of the serrations. The Tigershark is 1.191" at the hilt and gets taller to about 1.500" toward the point.
Only the Kabar has a blood groove (both sides) which reduces the blade thickness and therefore bending strength in that area during prying (yeh, so, like, who pries with their knife anyway ??).

The third technical detail I'll offer is sharpness. I just ran all three over my sharpening steel.... each then easily contributed to the deforestation of my left arm. That to me is plenty sharp.

The fourth technical detail is the pommel. On the Kabar it is a metal "plate" and can be used to pound.
The Seal and the Tigershark do NOT have a metal pommel so I wouldn't recommend pounding.

Fifth, the Kabar is lighter than the Seal. This would probably mean more hand shock when chopping with the Kabar.

And lastly for this exercise, the Kabar feels great in the hand. So does the Seal. So does the Tigershark, and even though the Tigershark weighs the most it still has great balance (other postings around the SOG Forum attest to that).

Summary: I've gotten "hooked" by thick blades, and the SOG brand in particular. Other than that, I don't know what else to say.

Cheers,

Carl

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!
I just typed a long, detailed response, and lost it due to "too many images" (smileys). When I went back, it was gone.....:mad:

OK, the short form...

Here is a recent thread which asked a similar question... :D

1) Spend the time to decide for yourself exactly what you want it for: camping, historical significance, diving, self defence, cool factor, etc. Be honest, no one else need know...:D (I have a few knives I got just for the cool factor...) ;)

2) Based on this pick a blade and handle you like/need. Leather, Zytel, micarta, wood, stag, etc. all have their own advantages... Do you need serrations? Will you be prying?

3) Look at cost to benefit ratio. i.e. the one you like a little more may cost twice as much.

4) Look at the company. What's the reputation? Are they consistently good? Or hit-or-miss? How do the handle the inevitable mistake or problem?

No bias there...;) :p :D

My personal decision, based on handling both, is that I feel the SEAL is the better deal...:D :D :D

The Seal 2000 is simple to resharpen after use and fits great in the hand. This would be my choice. I hope this helps

IF WAR IS HELL, TAKE A BETTER PITCHFORK THAN THE DEVIL

Dann the Glockman has got it right. Get the Tigershark, but get an older one with the good high carbon steel blade.

Originally posted by Danbo
Dann the Glockman has got it right. Get the Tigershark, but get an older one with the good high carbon steel blade.
Those also are Plain Edged and uncoated a "satin-like" finish... very nice, with a slight re-curve...:D

I would go with the Tigershark. I have a Kabar and have handled a Tigershark. The Tigershark is tougher and you can do more work with it. I always wanted to get one, mainly the carbon steel version. Saw a carbon steel one long time ago on one of the forums lightly used for $60 shipped:eek:. I had no money:(

Originally posted by Logan1
Saw a carbon steel one long time ago on one of the forums lightly used for $60 shipped:eek:. I had no money:(
DOH!?!? Where...??? :D :confused: :eek:

Two words SEAL 2000. What more can you ask for. The Seal 2000 is field proven with one of the world leading and best fighting units. AUS6 is amazing and the handel is comfortable. The knife holds like it was made for your hand and it just sits there.

If the SEAL's chose it it is for good reason. I personaly have lokes at both myself and found the Ka-Bar to have to much of a cheap look to it. I prefer zytel to Kraton also.

I've got a knife that beats both Seal 2000 and Tigershark. It's a SwampRat Battle Rat. For $128 for the CampTramp(Seal 2000) or $148 for the Battla RAT(Tigershark) you get more knife for your money. Any SWampRat will beat the pants off any sog. I'll post my picture of a BATTLERAT breaking the spine of a Seal 2000 with no damage to the rat. LONG LIVE THE RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by bigblackjim
I've got a knife that beats both Seal 2000 and Tigershark. It's a SwampRat Battle Rat. For $128 for the CampTramp(Seal 2000) or $148 for the Battla RAT(Tigershark) you get more knife for your money. Any SWampRat will beat the pants off any sog. I'll post my picture of a BATTLERAT breaking the spine of a Seal 2000 with no damage to the rat. LONG LIVE THE RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
Jim,
Swamp Rats are fine knives, I have a couple of them myself.
The SEAL and Tigershark are fine knives also, and designed for different uses.;)
I am sorry you are unhappy with SOG products, but hope you find what you are looking for.:cool:
Rob

Bobby B. just writing back on this thread also to let you know how awfull I feel for the blow up. Things just aren't going well right now and to loose my SOG for a few weeks put me over the edge. :D

No problem, apology accepted!:D
I spoke to Loretta at SOG, and will make sure that they take a good close look at it, and get you straightened out (your knife, that is...;) )
Rob

I'm still trying to figure out why SOG decided to make the new Tigershark with stainless steel. I should have gotten one when they were still made with carbon steel.

I have 3 tigersharks now.
2 carbon 1 stainless. The stainless is good, the carbon is a lot better.
If Sog go back to carbon I would get more, gotta love those tigersharks.

Originally posted by K Williams
I'm still trying to figure out why SOG decided to make the new Tigershark with stainless steel.
For saltwater diving would be my guess.;)
I should have gotten one when they were still made with carbon steel.
They still turn up periodically on E-Bay, etc. Look for a satin finished non-serrated blade...:D

Back