K390 Military

Mr. Glesser,

Given the almost unbelieveable popularity of your Military model, and the truly superb qualities of Bohler-Uddeholm K390 steel, I sincerely believe that a sprint run of Militaries in that steel would be highly sought after.

I think there's little doubt that such a run, of perhaps 2,000 pieces, would be completely "sold out" before the first blade was actually ground.

There is a limited dealer special Military in M390 that is currently available for pre-order. :thumbup:

Mr. Glesser,

Given the almost unbelieveable popularity of your Military model, and the truly superb qualities of Bohler-Uddeholm K390 steel, I sincerely believe that a sprint run of Militaries in that steel would be highly sought after.

I think there's little doubt that such a run, of perhaps 2,000 pieces, would be completely "sold out" before the first blade was actually ground.

There is a limited dealer special Military in M390 that is currently available for pre-order. :thumbup:

Right. I already have one ordered.:)

But K390 is an order of magnitude better steel than M390. :thumbup::p:thumbup:

Not likely to happen, I talked to Sal once about S110V and he said they had made 8 blades out of it and it had taken hours per blade and multiple belts, which is the reason they most likely will never use it or similar steel like K390. Unless they could some how come up with some other process to make it more efficient. Although I'd love to see a Military 2 in g-10/Titanium with a K390 Blade, it won't happen.

According to some people S110V isn't much worse than S90V, and we know that Sal does have some S110V but no-one knows what it will be used for.

S125V was the one that couldn't be processed at factory appropriate speeds, and S150V couldn't even get rolled at the foundry.

I'm a huge fan of extremely high wear resistance steels, so I'd absolutely love to see this. As others mentioned, though, I'm not sure how likely it is to happen.

Phil Wilson of Seamont knives mkes fixed blades in k390, so it's certainly not impossible to machine.

i read that once sharp, they will most likely stay sharp 'forever'...(referring to M390 and K390)

question is, what if...they do need sharpening one day, how in the heck do you sharpen this stuff if grinding and shaping it is a nightmare to begin with

K390 and K294 are more wear resistant than S110V so I don't know what would happen trying to make knives out of them production wise.

i read that once sharp, they will most likely stay sharp 'forever'...(referring to M390 and K390)

question is, what if...they do need sharpening one day, how in the heck do you sharpen this stuff if grinding and shaping it is a nightmare to begin with

M390 and K390 aren't even close to the same, big difference in wear resistance and alloy content, K390 has over twice the Vanadium that M390 has.

For reference.

K294 63.5-64.5 HRC

Carbon - 2.45%
Chromium - 5.20%
Manganese - .50%
Molybdenum - 1.3%
Silicon - .90%
Vanadium - 9.70%

K390 64-65 HRC

Carbon - 2.45%
Chromium - 4.15%
Cobalt - 2.00%
Molybdenum - 3.75%
Silicon - .55%
Vanadium - 9.00%
Tungsten - 1.00%

M390 61-62 HRC

Carbon - 1.90%
Chromium - 20.00%
Manganese - .30%
Molybdenum - 1.00%
Silicon - .70%
Vanadium - 4.00%
Tungsten - .60%

S110V 62.5-63.5 HRC

Carbon - 2.80%
Chromium - 14.00%
Molybdenum - 3.50%
Cobalt - 2.00%
Vanadium - 9.00%
Niobium - 3.50%

Last edited:
Nor does it mean that it can be done on a large production scale for a reasonable cost.

When Mr. Glesser undertook the projects of making sprint runs of Militaries in CPM M-4, and S90V, conventional wisdom held that these steels were so difficult and expensive to machine that they were not "practical" for knives. Today, my EDC rotation is two Militaries, in M-4 and S90V.

While there will undoubtedly be challenges in mass producing knives from K390, I am quite sure that Mr. Glesser will be up to the challenge. All that is necessary to solve virtually any challenge is the will to do so.

There is a big difference between steels like S90V, M4 and S110V, K294, K390.

Other than K390 I have worked with all of these steels reprofiling, testing ect.

Using my Stones.... Silicon Carbide stones the wear resistance is huge between the 2 groups with K294 being the hardest to work with, noticeable difference between it and S110V.

S90V and M4 are cake compared to these other steels from my experiences.

Last edited:
When Mr. Glesser undertook the projects of making sprint runs of Militaries in CPM M-4, and S90V, conventional wisdom held that these steels were so difficult and expensive to machine that they were not "practical" for knives. Today, my EDC rotation is two Militaries, in M-4 and S90V.

While there will undoubtedly be challenges in mass producing knives from K390, I am quite sure that Mr. Glesser will be up to the challenge. All that is necessary to solve virtually any challenge is the will to do so.

i agree ben. IMO, this is what sets spyderco apart from the other manufacturers.

I read that CPM 10V (A11- K294) and CPM 15V were developed to bridge the gap between steel and ceramics if that tells anyone anything....

There is a big difference between steels like S90V, M4 and S110V, K294, K390.

Other than K390 I have worked with all of these steels reprofiling, testing ect.

Using my Stones.... Silicon Carbide stones the wear resistance is huge between the 2 groups with K294 being the hardest to work with, noticeable difference between it and S110V.

S90V and M4 are cake compared to these other steels from my experiences.

I completely agree Mr. Ankerson. Your points are indeed valid, and your research is quite impressive. (And very much appreciated, at least by myself, BTW )

But the point of my argument was that at the time when S90V and CPM M-4 were new to the knife world, the same problems applied to them. New and creative solutons were sought, and found, that made these steels the "piece of cake" that they are today. I am convinced that the same dedication to progress could (and probably will) drive new and creative solutions to the current difficulties hindering the development of blades in K390,K294, etc.

Farid is already experimenting with CPM Rex 121, considered by some to be the next generation of blade steel that will eventually replace the K390 generation.

Captain Hero:

Yes, we all owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Glesser for moving the cutlery industry forward. Without his leadership, M-2 would, in all likelihood, still be considered a "supersteel."

Back