K390 Military

Jim, (May I have your permission to address you as Jim?)

From my research, and correspondence with B-U USA and others, I am convinced that you are correct. K390, even below it's optimum hardness, would hold it's edge better than most of the "cutlery suitable" uber steels, other than Rex121.

Yep. :)

A11 (K294, 10V) and K390 are way ahead of the other steels, the closest would be S110V at High Hardness.

Rex 121 and 15V are at the next level.

Whoa! I've been traveling a lot since mid-December and have just now caught up on the last month and a half of posts in this thread. I couldn't be more excited that there's going to be a K390 Mule. Yet another awesome example of Spyderco pushing the boundaries in terms of materials and receptiveness to customer suggestions. :thumbup:

Whoa! I've been traveling a lot since mid-December and have just now caught up on the last month and a half of posts in this thread. I couldn't be more excited that there's going to be a K390 Mule. Yet another awesome example of Spyderco pushing the boundaries in terms of materials and receptiveness to customer suggestions. :thumbup:

What will be interesting is what hardness they will run it at. ;)

If they run it hard like 63+ HRC some will finally know the realm of what high wear resistance really is and what it really means.

Would have been more so with K294 though due to the extra point of Vanadium.

But they will likely run it at 62 HRC I think, that will still beat anything else out there production knife wise.

Last edited:
What will be interesting is what hardness they will run it at. ;)

If they run it hard like 63+ HRC some will finally know the realm of what high wear resistance really is and what it really means.

Would have been more so with K294 though due to the extra point of Vanadium.

But they will likely run it at 62 HRC I think, that will still beat anything else out there production knife wise.
Yeah, agreed. I'm not too worried about the hardness of the Mule since I already have a pair of K390 fixed blades on order from David Williamson that will hopefully be run at 63 or 64 HRC. If anything, it'll be interesting to compare the performance if the Mule ends up being run at 62 and the customs at 63-64. :D

You'll love those 2 knives Neuron! The only reason why I rebeveled my K390 is because I got tired of looking at the same edge :D. I used it on everything I could find for 2months straight and the edge still had that great toothy working edge. I did strop it once a week but that was out of habit not necessity.

You'll love those 2 knives Neuron! The only reason why I rebeveled my K390 is because I got tired of looking at the same edge :D. I used it on everything I could find for 2months straight and the edge still had that great toothy working edge. I did strop it once a week but that was out of habit not necessity.
Thanks, buddy! I really appreciate you taking the time to chat with me a few months back about your Williamson K390 custom, and it's great to hear that the performance is every bit as awesome as expected. Can't wait until my pair of K390s are finished! :D

Anytime! It was a pleasure to talk to a fellow knife nut. You'll have to put up some pics when you get them!

What edge angles do most of you run K390 at. I normally reprofie my better knives to somewhere between 12 and 15 degrees per side. No microbevel. Would that work for K390?:confused:

And have any of you sharpened it to 15K, and stropped below 1/2 micron diamond? :thumbup::thumbup:

I reprofiled mine to a 25deg inclusive edge using diamond PSA tapes down to the 9micron. Holy heck, that thing is scary as it slides through cardboard like it is warm butter. I have the 3, 1 and.5micron tape but felt no reason to go further.

Hi Niles,

Steel has taken from 3 weeks to 6 months depending on the foundry and inventory. Then processing averages 3-4 months. But with Muloe Teams, we try to keep one of two runs on the shelf so we can put them out every 3-4 months.

thanx for the kind words.

sal

Count me in for one!

:thumbup:More kind words coming your way, Sal! I wish we could "clone" you!:thumbup::D

Whaaaa!? Did I miss something? Are you pulling peoples leg? Or do you mean the M390 Mule? I thought the Elmax was coming first?

Back