K9 Knives UNOFFICAL pic...

Finished up the prototype and Dan wasn't here. Dan takes WAY better pics than me, but I wanted to get a quick shot up of this and he wasn't here. I think it turned out really nicely.

This one has black textured G-10 on one side and blasted green canvas micarta on the other side. Kind of like a salesman sample from days gone by. We wanted to be able to see what both handle materials would look like without making two prototypes...

Here is the pic. I shot the green canvas side. The finish on the blade is called a "smoke" finish.

I promise that Dan will get better pics up tomorrow!

Remember these are going to be offered to the mailing list FIRST. So if you want one but haven't signed up, NOW is the time.

Tom

k9knivesproto21205-06.jpg

I just love that knife, especially the pommel; it looks like a dream knife for me! That finish is smokin' :D

Very nice indeed. Looking forward to the mailing list notification.

Did you give an estimate of when they would be available (sorry if I missed that)?

Looks good Tom. You and Dan have a winner on your hands. :thumbup: Glad I signed up on the mailing list!

That is sweet!

that is a great glimpse of what is to come, it looks very easy to maintain.:thumbup:

Cerberus

Love it!

We need specs my friend. I am concerned that handle may be a tad small for my paws. Only because of the way the butt turns down...

Didn't Dan have a hand size database going somewhere? Maybe that would help...

Heavy - the handle is plenty....trust me. :D

We'll post more pics this afternoon...:thumbup:

The knife is 10.5" overall with a 5" blade. 1/4" thick steel.

Me likey!:cool:
Dan/Tom...does Paul Bos use an interrupted quench or salt bath for the heat treating? I was reading the CPM specs for 3V and it just made me curious.

Me likey!:cool:
Dan/Tom...does Paul Bos use an interrupted quench or salt bath for the heat treating? I was reading the CPM specs for 3V and it just made me curious.

Maquahuitl,
Actually, I am not sure! I do know that I trust his heat treat of CPM 3V! I have had a LOT of very satisfied customers with CPM 3V knives heat treated by Paul!

What ever he is doing is GOOD!:D

Tom

The official word (from Buck knives) on Paul Bos heat-treating can be found here:

http://www.buckknives.com/technical_making.php

Also:

Blades are hardened in an inert atmosphere, cryogenic quenched to
-280 degrees F and double tempered (triple tempering is available at
extra charge). Tool steels are snap tempered at 375 degrees F before
cryogenic cooling. All blades are checked for straightness and 100%
Rockwell tested.

found here: http://www.buckknives.com/downloads/Paul_Bos_Brochure.pdf

IMHO, salt baths and interrupted quenches are better with oil-quenched steels (3V is best air-hardened).

How much for one of the first 50? Where are the new pics Dan? Do you guys realize what you are starting here? Oh yeah, will you have sheaths?

Okay... where is the pic!???

Dan's still at school! Should be here soon....

How much for one of the first 50? Where are the new pics Dan? Do you guys realize what you are starting here? Oh yeah, will you have sheaths?

We are still working on the pricing but it WILL be under the $300.00 mark.

We are also still working on the sheaths. We are trying to offer a couple of choices. Standard will be a simple leather belt sheath. We would also like to offer one with a pocket on the front and a firesteel loop also, just have to work out the details.

I am sure you could talk me into making some kydex also!! :D

Tom

Are you guys interested in any suggestions on K9 names for this one or are the two of you already got your short list?

Are you guys interested in any suggestions on K9 names for this one or are the two of you already got your short list?

Dan and I talked about this last night.

We decided to post a poll. We are going to let you guys have a hand in naming this one!! Should be fun... :D

Tom

Back