Ka Bar 1229?

PCL

I recently purchased a small hunting knife marked, Ka bar, Cleveland, Ohio 1229 and on the reverse it says, stainless, Hong Kong. Does anyone know about this knife, I can't find much about it. There are basic descriptions online with pictures, but that's about it. So any info would be a big help.

I recently purchased a small hunting knife marked, Ka bar, Cleveland, Ohio 1229 and on the reverse it says, stainless, Hong Kong. Does anyone know about this knife, I can't find much about it. There are basic descriptions online with pictures, but that's about it. So any info would be a big help.
I believe It was made when cole-national owned kabar. It was made from the mid 60s 1966 to about 1986, 88. They were headquartered in cleveland ohio.

Thanks Tanker, I was able to find some info on the Ka bar date code page. Not sure of steel type but it took a great edge from my sharpmaker.

PCpost: 17416142 said:
Thanks Tanker, I was able to find some info on the Ka bar date code page. Not sure of steel type but it took a great edge from my sharpmaker.
I believe they are made from 1095 steel iirc

Among the variety of knives Cole came up with in the 70s, there were 3 "hump back hunters" as I call them due to the spine being curved rather than straight. There 3 were a 1227, 1228 and 1229.

1227 - 6" OAL 2-3/4" BL - black plastic handle, black leather sheath
1228 - 6" OAL 2-3/4" BL - brown "rosewood" handle, brown leather sheath
1229 - 7-7/8" OAL 3-1/2" BL - brown "rosewood" handle, both black and brown leather sheath options

Back