Ka Bar Becker bk9 vs Ka Bar Large Heavy Bowie

Both great knives. I would lead towards the BK9 but I have always wanted a heavy Bowie.

What are your planned uses for your upcoming purchase?

I have both. The Becker allows you to upgrade sheaths, grips and accessories in the future. The heavy Bowie has (I'm my opinion) a more comfortable grip for chopping. They are both tough and chop well. You can't go wrong, they are both great knives.

Nothing wrong with the heavy bowie - my son has one - but I like my BK9 much, much better. Either way, you're covered by Kabar's outstanding warranty and you get Kabar's fantastic heat treat. Still, my vote goes to...

20110611p02.jpg

20110611p03.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

I have both. I like the LHB; I *love* the BK9. Plus I broke a LHB (KA-BAR replaced it), so I may not be all that objective. But I'll try.

- I consider the LHB handles designed by Paul Tsujimoto to be comfortable, but less comfortable than Becker's handles. I get hotspots with the Toooj handles, and they can pass along ugly shocks to my hand that I never seem to get with Beckers.

- BK9 allows replacement scales, which is a big plus in my book. For example, I wanted to fill my hand so I took off the KA-BAR scales and added liners and older (thicker) Camillus plastic scales. That, along with a section of inner tube, allowed me to create a bigass fat handle that works great for me.

- I consider the LHB design to be geared toward stabbing, something I never do in the woods. The shorter clip point on the BK9, along with the longer spine, leaves more surface for batoning... which I do a lot of.

- Bk9 chops better and bites deeper imo. Can't explain why, just does for me.

- The LHB design for the area at the guard is better for choking up real close to the blade for detail work.

- BK9 has a hammerable pommel. This is a BIG PLUS for me.

- A lot of people complain about the BK9 sheath; I kinda like it. I keep firemaking supplies in the little pocket. I frickin HATE the LHB sheath, plus there's no pocket.

- Beckers are 1095 CV steel, LHB is 1085. Slightly better steel on the BK9.

- BK9 costs a fair bit more.

- BK9 has a full skeletonized tang, LHB has a full stick tang. BK9 advantage there.

- BK9 has a thumb ramp, which I like for control (but A LOT of Beckerheads grind off immediately).

I think you should get the BK9.

both too heavy for hiking in my opinion - go with something like a fallkniven F1

To each his own i guess. My day pack has a becker bk-9 in it, its more than lite enough for a quick stroll in the park. i carry all my day pack stuff in a maxped monsoon, so it all has to be comfortable on just one shoulder. i have never had a problem with the weight of the bk9

Back