Ka-Bar BK7 vs KA-BAR BKR7-BRK Combat Utility?

I do like the TKC handles - have a tweener set on the FFG 16. Still have factory grip on the 4 and backup 5... Which wrong color did you get?
(Or did you accidentally get an ESEE scale?)
I know they are nice. Probably a less slick grip too. I bought the blue and black one. I had decided to go with black with a red liner right below it.. I still might return the one I bought and get another wood one from ebay. TKC won't take it back if they have been installed. And I will have to pay for shipping it back. But I could get enough back to buy a wood one. Or put the $50 towards a leather sheath. Here is the one I ordered. I really don't like any of the striped ones. Just my preference.
TKC-BK2-10-HandleKit-BBG10.jpg

Just call me Crow

Check out the Patriot Leather Co Gaspee sheath. I have one for my BK5 and really like it.

Check out the Patriot Leather Co Gaspee sheath. I have one for my BK5 and really like it.
Thanks, I have looked at them. They look nice. What color did you get? Have a picture? I really like the one Sagebrush sells, but it's a scout carry, and you have to buy extra parts to convert to vertical carry. Adds up quick and 10 weeks wait time. The patriots look pretty simple. But it looks like the snaps on the belt loop might hit the top of the handle? No? Hard to say without seeing a knife in it.
gaspee-2__71476.1508461305.jpg

Just call me Crow

Sheath Color: Medium Brown
Stitching Color: Summer Tan
Hardware Color: Nickel
Wow, nice handle! Nice sheath too. They look better with a knife in them. The nickle hardware compliments the knife very well. Thank you very much for the pictures! But don't those snaps on the dangler rub on that pretty handle? It looks like it would be rubbing right against it. But they are smooth snaps so maybe no damage?
Again thanks for the pics. The price point is nice too. I wouldn't want the firesteel loop or the front pouch either. Definitely one to bookmark. Thank you!
What color would you say this one is? Dark Brown or Dark Cherry?
gaspee-5__33599.1508461304.jpg

Last edited:
If you wish to keep the factory epoxy-coat but not the texture; you may want to try smoothing it down with a moderate sand paper grit- maybe something in the neighborhood of 300-400 grit...never done it myself because I've been content to simply allow it to wear it down by proper use.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Becker Knife & Tool nirvana Crow!

If you wish to keep the factory epoxy-coat but not the texture; you may want to try smoothing it down with a moderate sand paper grit- maybe something in the neighborhood of 300-400 grit...never done it myself because I've been content to simply allow it to wear it down by proper use.
I am not sure what I am going to do..lol. I bought some stripper but haven't done it yet. I might do it on the BK9 first, and then again I may not do it at all. I thought about sanding it some but figured it might get gunky and not sand well. Maybe it's peer pressure wanting to strip it? Or not wanting too..lol. I see people doing both. Thanks for the input. Nirvana huh? Can one reach Nirvana with obsessions?..lol

I am not sure what I am going to do..lol. I bought some stripper but haven't done it yet. I might do it on the BK9 first, and then again I may not do it at all. I thought about sanding it some but figured it might get gunky and not sand well. Maybe it's peer pressure wanting to strip it? Or not wanting too..lol. I see people doing both. Thanks for the input. Nirvana huh? Can one reach Nirvana with obsessions?..lol
Welcome crowhaven2000, couldn't help from being nosy.i block sanded a 16 for my wife 220 grit a little than 600 grit :D I don't like paint and absolutely hate the rough coating :thumbsup: not perfect but will do for now :rolleyes: a few pics
IMG_3849.JPG IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG

Welcome crowhaven2000, couldn't help from being nosy.i block sanded a 16 for my wife 220 grit a little than 600 grit :D I don't like paint and absolutely hate the rough coating :thumbsup: not perfect but will do for now :rolleyes: a few pics
View attachment 1059800
You aint bein nosy my friend. I came here lookin for idea's and guidance..lol.. That one picture looks like you can see the reflection in it? Now that is impressive and makes me think why not try to sand it? It's kind of hard to see what it looks like even with those nice pictures. It still looks dark? But it can't be really dark/black and see a reflection on it. So did you leave any coating on it? On the part you sanded I mean? Thanks for chimin in!
img_3851-jpg.1059800

Just call me Crow

You aint bein nosy my friend. I came here lookin for idea's and guidance..lol.. That one picture looks like you can see the reflection in it? Now that is impressive and makes me think why not try to sand it? It's kind of hard to see what it looks like even with those nice pictures. It still looks dark? But it can't be really dark/black and see a reflection on it. So did you leave any coating on it? On the part you sanded I mean? Thanks for chimin in!
img_3851-jpg.1059800

Just call me Crow
The paint is still there it's pretty shiny and does reflect. I was curious to see if I could get it smooth without sanding through it and it worked out :thumbsup: this Knife probably won't get used much but when it does it will be nicer to use . I did take the edge off the spine for a little more comfort when push cuts are needed :)

The paint is still there it's pretty shiny and does reflect. I was curious to see if I could get it smooth without sanding through it and it worked out :thumbsup: this Knife probably won't get used much but when it does it will be nicer to use :)
That sounds real nice. I am going to try it. I can't buy fine sandpaper here, I will have to wait until I go out of town (out of tiny village). That's a round trip of 120 miles. i don't go often. I have some 300 grit but nothing finer. I wonder what steel wool would do to it? Probably be a very slow process. Thanks for the great idea.
coolsmiley.gif

Last edited:
That sounds real nice. I am going to try it. I can't buy fine sandpaper here, I will have to wait until I go out of town (out of tiny village). That's a round trip of 120 miles. i don't go often. I have some 300 grit but nothing finer. I wonder what steel wool would do to it? Probably be a very slow process. Thanks for the great idea.
coolsmiley.gif
300 should be cool, just make sure you use a flat piece of wood or what ever to keep the sand paper flat while you sand :thumbsup: if you don't like how it looks you can always strip it :D you are welcome :thumbsup:
IMG_3532.JPG
Where do you live?

300 should be cool, just make sure you use a flat piece of wood or what ever to keep the sand paper flat while you sand :thumbsup: if you don't like how it looks you can always strip it :D you are welcome :thumbsup:
Where do you live?
I ordered some 600 grit off amazon. Needed to have some anyway. It will come Monday I think, or Tuesday. I live in Eastern New Mexico, in the very small village of Fort Sumner. Where they buried Billy The Kid. Nearest Town with stores is Clovis NM, 60 miles away. 120 mile round trip.. It gets old being here and having to go there..lol. Is that picture the same knife? It looks like chrome..lol
Edit here: No that is a BK7..lol. Nice and shiny. o_O

Last edited:
View attachment 1060794
Where do you live?
If I strip my knife, I am going to lose the etching of the name and model right? I don't think my knife is stamped like yours. It doesn't seem to be as deep as yours looks. Or am I mistaken? I think I read somewhere that the new knives are different?
edit again:
I just did some reading on the etching on these newer knives. It looks like I am correct. If that happens, I am fine with that. I prefer to let what happens happen. The rolled stamping is way cool, but the new knives just don't have it. No worries. Not that big of a deal to me.

Last edited:
You could always deepen the etch on your knife before you strip it. Easy peasy with a DC source - car battery charger, old cellphone cord, even a 9V battery. Or if you happen to have some PCB etchant, you can deepen it chemically.

Back