KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

tradewater

Geezerator
Let's hear what's going on with you. Come in, look around and pull up a chair.

If Mrs. T and I can make it through the weekend, we're heading to the woods somewhere. She'll have her MK1 for sure, and I think I'll give the Heavy Bowie a workout. Pics to follow.

What's funny is that in Moose's photochop thread, there is this entry here:

adamskabar.jpg
by FullMetalJoe

Great minds think alike, eh?

Here is mine from Bladite's contest way back in May to win a big brother:

5724146624_52eaf1a7ed_b.jpg

I love Bladeforums.

Me and Lady are gonna head to Joyce Kilmer today, I think. I don't know, I'm still not walking very well after Thursday's injuries, but we'll see. I might need another day to recoupe before hitting the trails.

Moose

Me and Lady are gonna head to Joyce Kilmer today, I think. I don't know, I'm still not walking very well after Thursday's injuries, but we'll see. I might need another day to recoupe before hitting the trails.

Moose
Better take it easy, and don't overdo it. I got so hot when we went hiking the Starved Rock trails, and I'm still not back 100%. Have felt light headed ever since.

I'm takin' my son (he's 4) on a short hike today. We're gonna make our entry for Guyon's contest.

Just got back from the short hike.

DSC08327.jpg

I need to get one of those grass machetes. This was ridiculous!!
DSC08329.jpg

We eventually got to the water.
DSC08333.jpg

Gathered stuff for a small quick fire.
DSC08334.jpg

DSC08336.jpg

And on our way our he found his favorite rock.
DSC08340.jpg

Then when we got home we found a little something waiting for me on the door step.
What was it............?

So I guess I'll be owning my ninth KA-BAR after today's discussion about the LE phat bob. So I guess I'll never be able to save up for a Rick Menefee folder.

I'm waiting on a couple of folders that should be around sometime in January. A Custom ZT0300 and a traditional folder that a guy found, and as he says, "I instantly thought of you". Still won't tell me what it is though. Skewl, though. I like surprises. SOmetimes.

Moose

ZT0300 is a damn sweet knife. People seem to love the hell out of those things. I almost bought one, but ultimately went for the PB as the ZT was just a teensy bit too tactical looking for me to really EDC.

Question,

Has anyone turned a Kabar traditional fighting knife into a bushcraft knife. I am thinking for sure to make the guard go away. Never gonna use this blade as a fighting knife, seemed to get in the way a bit for what I was doing with it. The second mod is a choil. I see alot of people adding them around this place. I have never used a knife that has one, everyone claims it is the cat's meow for carving and getting the hand closer to the cutting edge. Any thoughts and or suggestions, pictures? Or do I need to leave it alone.

Question,

Has anyone turned a Kabar traditional fighting knife into a bushcraft knife. I am thinking for sure to make the guard go away. Never gonna use this blade as a fighting knife, seemed to get in the way a bit for what I was doing with it. The second mod is a choil. I see alot of people adding them around this place. I have never used a knife that has one, everyone claims it is the cat's meow for carving and getting the hand closer to the cutting edge. Any thoughts and or suggestions, pictures? Or do I need to leave it alone.

Definately choil it. I choiled our steak knives.

My suggestion is forget trying to get her into knives and outdoors at the same time. Start with outdoors.

1. Plan a walk by a lake or through a forest or whatever is near you that's nice.
2. Plan a picnic using the same idea of a nice natural destination. Use your KA-BAR Heavy Bowie to spread the peanut butter and jelly on your sandwiches. Stare at her with one eyebrow arched the entire time you're doing this, but don't say anything.
3. Plan a one-night camping trip in a nearby place that has formal campgrounds and a nice natural place to hike nearby. Make sure there are bathrooms. Bring some simple cleaning supplies and touch up the bathroom before she has to use it for the first time (sweep, get the dead bugs and spider webs out of the corners, spray some cleaning solution on the john, spray some citrus scent around the room, make sure the lid is down when you leave if it's a pit toilet).
4. Alternate planning walks, hikes, and camping trips. Try to make the first batch as 'civilized' as possible.

You'll get to the point where either she clearly hates it all and you're definitively screwed, or she's on board with the outdoorsin' and you can then start in with the whole knife thing. By this time you'll have brought your knives and been using them, hopefully not in some lunatic manner, and she'll see the value and who knows, maybe (MAYBE) become a knife nut too.

Question,

I think it was virtuvoice on youtube that took a kabar short and turned it into a bushcraft knife with a scandi grind. I've thought of getting one and knocking on the top and bottom of the guard, then either getting a flat grind, convex grind, or scandi grind on it.

Then Kabar came out with it's version of the MK1 Navy knife. It's got a flat grind and minimal guard, exactly what I want. No point in modding up a USMC style blade unless you want one that's bigger than the MK1.

Today I'm going to check out the eroded cliff\hill sides of a river valley for arrowheads and or buffalo skulls. Just packing water and a multi tool. I packed a Ka-Bar yesterday, but I don't eat the same meal every day. :)

Today I'm going to check out the eroded cliff\hill sides of a river valley for arrowheads
I've always wanted to check the talus slope on the Illinois River, but never have. I've always found my arrowheads in the plowed fields along the river.

Back