KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

They already did -they were called the "Next Generation" knives.

The venerable 1219C2/USN MK2 on steroids. Great knives. I have couple of them. For whatever reasons, they didn't sell well and were discontinued. I like them. Great knives.

The D2 Extreme is the Next Gen in D2 and still available.

Sorry but, I've looked at several of these knives and their tangs don't look any wider than the standard KA-BAR 1217 rat-tail tang that I can see. And even if they did make a version of the 1217 w/a wider tang back then and it didn't sell well, maybe it's time to try again. Many more people are wise to what makes a strong knife now as opposed to just several years ago thanks to the internet and newly renewed interest in self defense / survivalism.

It's rare yes, but sometimes a good idea is just killed by the wrong timing and atmosphere...kind of like Ron Paul :D

The venerable 1219C2/USN MK2 on steroids. Great knives. I have couple of them. For whatever reasons, they didn't sell well and were discontinued. I like them. Great knives.

The D2 Extreme is the Next Gen in D2 and still available.

serrations.
bleah.
if they made the D2 Extreme without serrations - mmmmmmmmmm.........

So, I said something, then realized that there was another page of comments that answered my question, and now I'm editing my previous post to cover my prior comment that was obvious once I read the next (this current) page.

Clear as mud?

Look at this Kabar. Wow I love it.

I dont remember ever seeing one like this so big.

That's an 8.5 inch blade so its about the size of a BK9.

Not mine. Its on Ebay for a bunch of money.

Kabar%208.5%20inch%20blade_zpsz0qi9wgm.jpg

I believe that one is the Trail Blazer. Came in 8-1/2" and 7" blades. I think Gunsil also said that they came in 5", 6" and an advertised, but rarely/never seen 12" blade. 1930s if I remember correctly.

Also, that seller on fleabay, one of 2 "regulars" that use that green background, sets his prices unrealistically high and waits for a sucker. There's actually 2 8-1/2" Trail Blazers on fleabay. The other one is listed by another list high and wait folks

That's too bad they are so expensive. I really like these big ones. I tried to find a picture of the 12 inch blade but no luck.

I did find one of the other ones in a Kabar sheath with trail blazer on the sheath so it looks like you remembered the name right.

Thanks ZZ. :thumbsup:

Happy taco Tuesday!
Best dang taco I made today for taco Tuesday, I did a heavy rub of dried peppers, black pepper, cayenne powder and a pinch of salt and topped it off with a hint of kale

it sure was fun, bought another to tinker with again. Seems like they are just trying to get rid of them at the smoky mountain place, it sure is the least appealing of the zk blades...but nothing that can't be fixed with power tools! :D

How's that gaucho working for ya, Erik? I need feedback!!

I've never gone hog hunting, or stabbed a creature for that matter, but I think this would be the best use for this blade. Or finishing a zombie.

How's that gaucho working for ya, Erik? I need feedback!!

Gaucho is working well -- have had several complements on it.
handle is pretty spot on.
when it got here it had a wire edge in one spot that took a while to sharpen out and get the rest of the edge even with it, but it's been good since then.

Back