KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

Good thing a ranger didn't see that. Timber rattlers are protected in NY, endangered species. I usually just go around them. Funny though, I have stepped over them, teased them with a stick, moved them out of the way with a stick and have never had one rattle for me.

Good thing a ranger didn't see that. Timber rattlers are protected in NY, endangered species. I usually just go around them. Funny though, I have stepped over them, teased them with a stick, moved them out of the way with a stick and have never had one rattle for me.
Snake story time. Spending my whole life in the swamps and woods of Florida a snake encounter is inevitable. I was still hunting thru a Swamp called the Big Gum. I stepped over a blow down and Without warning Bam a Eastern Diamond Back about 4 foot long tagged my left leg. Mind you I'm 5 miles from my jeep. Fortunately or unfortunately I had my left leg amputated in the Army. When the Army doctors reattached my leg over a year a large calcium growth had grown were my shin had been. I also have extremely poor circulation and severe nerve damage. That rattler had struck me right on top of my calcium growth. It broke skin but I kinda knew he didn't get venom into me. But it opened my eyes to how fast things can go drastically down hill. I had already dispatched that snake and yes he was eaten at camp that night. I do not have a fondness for venomous snakes. A few weeks before I had happened across a 72 year old lady hiking the AT. If she was to get bit, miles from help and none to limited cell service i believe she would be a gonner.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess 50's or 60's vintage Japanese made hunting knife for the import market.
looks a lot like a "sarge" or "sabre" brand knife I found under a bush once.

Definitely not a KA-BAR product and I really don't know who made it. I hate to flog a dead horse, but please don't kill any more of our local rattlers. Timber rattlers are an endangered species and there is NO good reason to kill one. A rattlesnake will not kill most humans over 80 lbs and it is simple enough to either walk around them or move them with a long stick, the former being smarter. There is no record of anybody ever being killed by any snake in Harriman or it's surrounding counties. You are not doing any humans a service by killing them, you are only satisfying your wish to kill an endangered animal. Down south and out west there are plenty of diamondbacks and although I don't abide much about killing any snake they are not endangered like our timber rattlers are. Harriman and some other New York state parks are wildlife preserves, no hunting or killing of animals is permitted or nice and that means copperheads too. Fishing is permitted in Harriman but the state re-stocks fish, they do not re-stock snakes or other animals. Wildlife preserves are just that, a place to give nature a place to be as she should with no threat to her inhabitants from we humans.

Definitely not a KA-BAR product and I really don't know who made it. I hate to flog a dead horse, but please don't kill any more of our local rattlers. Timber rattlers are an endangered species and there is NO good reason to kill one. A rattlesnake will not kill most humans over 80 lbs and it is simple enough to either walk around them or move them with a long stick, the former being smarter. There is no record of anybody ever being killed by any snake in Harriman or it's surrounding counties. You are not doing any humans a service by killing them, you are only satisfying your wish to kill an endangered animal. Down south and out west there are plenty of diamondbacks and although I don't abide much about killing any snake they are not endangered like our timber rattlers are. Harriman and some other New York state parks are wildlife preserves, no hunting or killing of animals is permitted or nice and that means copperheads too. Fishing is permitted in Harriman but the state re-stocks fish, they do not re-stock snakes or other animals. Wildlife preserves are just that, a place to give nature a place to be as she should with no threat to her inhabitants from we humans.
I will step up to the plate and step around the snakes from this point forward. Pictures only from now on:thumbsup:

kabar debuted a new folder today.
semi tactical, glass breaker, seatbelt cutter, and low MSRP.

saw it, but seat belt cutters are a no go for me, they tend to snag when pulled out of the pocket. Cool profile, tho.

Tanker, I feel bad that happened to your leg. Thank you for your sacrifice, and your service. Funny story about the snake not being able to bite you though!

Your story reminded me of one of my Dad's drinking buddies. He lost a leg in VietNam, and had an old school wooden prosthetic. When fishing he would stick his knife in his leg instead of putting it away. One day somebody asked to borrow the knife. When he returned it the one legged guy had fallen asleep, so the borrower just stuck it in his leg. Unfortunately he stuck it in the wrong leg.

I was under the impression that The FIN came in 4 versions

5554 - Spear point plain edge - don't have
5555 - Spear point partially serrated - which I have
5556 - Tanto point plain edge - which I have
5557 - Tanto point partially serrated edge - don't have

Now I have to modify my notes... apparently the 5557 is NOT serrated, per this picture. Need to dig my 5556 out to see how the 5556 and 5557 differ.

I have the serrated tanto, and the plain edge drop point. I noticed that the blade of the tanto is thicker. Looks like 1/4" on the tanto, and 3/16" for the drop point. Handle scales are slightly thicker too.
Is that the same for yours?

Back