KA BAR Inspired Design - Your Input

When I make a stacked Micarta handle I usually use 1/4" or 3/16" thick pieces. It gives more of the traditional look than using big thick pieces or one solid block.

As far as Steels, If you want a Stainless , nothing wrong with using 440C RC 58-59 .. Are you just making one or is this something you want to offer to customers & gift to friends?

Sometimes I put in thin red spacers of vulcanized fiber to make a line, but most times I just stack the micarta. I have done it with leather between the micarta and didn't like the look. When you stack all micarta you still get a glue line that makes a stacked look. I usually dye the epoxy black for this to accentuate the line.

As far as Steels, If you want a Stainless , nothing wrong with using 440C RC 58-59 .. Are you just making one or is this something you want to offer to customers & gift to friends?

I would definitely like to have a repeatable process and make more than one. I like the idea of 440C, thanks. Any other Stainless Steels I should consider, perhaps better than 440C ?

Sometimes I put in thin red spacers of vulcanized fiber to make a line, but most times I just stack the micarta. I have done it with leather between the micarta and didn't like the look. When you stack all micarta you still get a glue line that makes a stacked look. I usually dye the epoxy black for this to accentuate the line.
Great, thanks Stacy.

I would definitely like to have a repeatable process and make more than one. I like the idea of 440C, thanks. Any other Stainless Steels I should consider, perhaps better than 440C ?

I definitely think our old pal AEB-L fits the bill, it's one of the toughest stainless steels according to Larrins research. Which may suit this kind of knife well.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/

Cool, new steel to try. How does it compare to AEB-L?

Thanks again,
Constantin
AEB-L is a tad more expensive than 440C. I use both . I haven’t Price check this new CPM-S45VM? But I’m sure it costs more. I’ll also say if these are used in the Field both 44C & AEB-L are fairly easy to sharpen.. I get my Steels from www.newjerseysteelbaron.com Avoid buying from EBay and other places. The steel may not be as advertised ....

For info on S-45VN take a look at the charts Larin posted in his current thread on it. I was impressed at the toughness and other attributes.

I will address the subject of this steel vs that steel:
AEB-L is a great steel, but I think this new 45VN steel will be better. However, it may not be that is "better" enough to matter over AEB-L, depends on the knife's use. If the knife will be heavily used and abused, then 45VN is a good choice. On the other hand, few knife tasks require more than AEB-L can offer.

AEB-L is a tad more expensive than 440C. I use both . I haven’t Price check this new CPM-S45VM? But I’m sure it costs more. I’ll also say if these are used in the Field both 44C & AEB-L are fairly easy to sharpen.. I get my Steels from www.newjerseysteelbaron.com Avoid buying from EBay and other places. The steel may not be as advertised ....

I believe AEB-L is typically a little cheaper per foot that 440-C... at least it was last time I looked.

I just received my sheets of the new Ultrex (G-10 with rubber layers) from Jantz. This stuff would make a killer stacked handle. Check the current thread on it.

Last edited:
Guys, thanks so much for the great feedback and education received, I’m really appreciative.

Looks like the consensus is for the B.1 blade version, with a bit less belly as mentioned. So for this rendition, since it's my favorite as well, I’ll be going with that.

For steel, I’ll go with AEB-L since I already have some in 0.188 (3/16”) and am
comfortable with its HT.

Questions:

1. Should I grind the bevels after HT or before? I’m thinking after, but not sure considering the material thickness.

2. What hardness should I shoot for, I’m thinking 60 HRC, what do you advise?

Thanks again,
Constantin

From what I understand, you should grind after the HT, AEB-L tends to warp badly during HT when ground.

From what I understand, you should grind after the HT, AEB-L tends to warp badly during HT when ground.

You’re right, I was just questioning if it is too much material to grind with a 3/16” stock after HT.
Regardless, I’ll be ok straightening it, since I just recently HT a kitchen blade, but it was a lot thiner.

You’re right, I was just questioning if it is too much material to grind with a 3/16” stock after HT.
Regardless, I’ll be ok straightening it, since I just recently HT a kitchen blade, but it was a lot thiner.
I grind all my blades after HT, no matter the size. :thumbsup:

I like the consistency of the process, like the ease of plate quenching (when applicable) and surface grinding before hardness testing etc.

42ZZaaD.jpg

What do you use to dye the epoxy?

Back