1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

KA-BAR Jarosz Choppa (video review)

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by ChattanoogaChop, Nov 24, 2020.

1. ChattanoogaChop

ChattanoogaChop

Nov 21, 2020
    This is my first review video. I don't really focus much on specs and technical details (there are plenty of good videos out there that do a great job at that) but instead try to demonstrate the knife being used in a variety of orthodox and unorthodox ways.

2. Daniel L

Daniel L

Nov 2, 1998
    That was awesome!

Did you find the factory scales were to thin or just not grippy enough?

beestokk likes this.
  3. ChattanoogaChop

ChattanoogaChop

Nov 21, 2020
    Thanks! The handle is just about perfect for my hand size-wise, but the scales felt slippery whenever I did any repetitive chopping motions, so the tennis racket wrap helped me hang on to it better.

beestokk likes this.
  4. Easy_rider

Easy_rider

Jan 10, 2021
    Just awesome!:thumbsup:

ChattanoogaChop likes this.
  5. ChattanoogaChop

ChattanoogaChop

Nov 21, 2020
    Hey, thanks! If you liked the format, I have a few reviews of other cutting implements on my channel

beestokk likes this.
  6. IaccidentlyCutmyThumb

IaccidentlyCutmyThumb

Dec 11, 2020
    I ordered one of these and I modified it in the same way, tennis wrap and 90' the spine. I was super hyped, and I took it camping with the gf...it chops like no other knife I've ever had, almost as well as a hatchet, but I hate that handle so goddamn much. The back portion of the handle where the lanyard hole is, it's just exposed metal. It made my hand so sore when I did the loose chopping motion that maximizes the swing. I had paracord doubled up in that area, and tried to fill it...but it just sucks in that one spot. I also found the edge retention fantastic, like you, but I'm not a huge fan of the choil.

Different strokes for different folks, my gf loved the blade and it's now hers. All the better for it in my opinion. If the handle was redesigned I would say it was perhaps the best chopper on the market. I got it as a one knife option, or a knife I would take into a survival situation. I prefer my Condor Hudsons Bay for that, personally. Did that area of the handle give you any troubles?

beestokk likes this.
  7. ChattanoogaChop

ChattanoogaChop

Nov 21, 2020
    Not especially, but that might be because I didn't do as much intensive/protracted chopping as you did. I've been through a few 2x4s with it and don't recall really any hot spots. I do know that people that have bigger hands don't like the handle, though, bc it seems to be the only negative thing I've heard anyone say about this knife. I thought the scales were kind of slippery, but the handle suited my hand (I have average sized hands) and the smaller handle might be why your gf took to it so well. I really like it myself.

8. IaccidentlyCutmyThumb

IaccidentlyCutmyThumb

Dec 11, 2020
    Hey man if you like it rock on! I think a 3/16ths slab of 1095CV with a sabre grind is always attractive. I think it is really handsome too. It sort of feels like a short sabre or gladius or something. Really nice tool. If it had Becker handles I think it'd put the BK9 outta commission. Sacrilegious, I know.

beestokk and ChattanoogaChop like this.
  9. ChattanoogaChop

ChattanoogaChop

Nov 21, 2020
    Ha, when I tested the BK2 I thought the handle was a little big, and had a hot spot when I thrusted into anything with any resilience, but I love that knife. Id like to have the big boy too

10. IaccidentlyCutmyThumb

IaccidentlyCutmyThumb

Dec 11, 2020
    Probably no need for it tbh, the Jarosz does everything it will do. Plus it has a solid tang.

beestokk likes this.
  11. Easy_rider

Easy_rider

Jan 10, 2021
    Yes, cool videos! As for me, the best moments - bottles with water. Looks impressive! What if to make exact list of things (for example vegetables, bottles, bushes, rope or what ever) you cut in videos. So it will be more clearly what certain knife\machete can do? Just my thoughts ... But any way thank you for your videos. They are helpfull!

ChattanoogaChop likes this.
  12. ChattanoogaChop

ChattanoogaChop

Nov 21, 2020
    It's not as scientific as it could be; but I try to use some common things (notebook paper, garden hose, 2x4s, cardboard, drinking straws, erc.) so that there is some familiarity to the viewer in terms of what's being chopped. Sometimes I'll chop stuff meant for the dump that's less about the pragmatic estimation of the blades' performance and more about just destroying stuff to enjoy destroying stuff. Really just trying to have fun with it.

beestokk likes this.