KA-BAR Photo Thread - Post Your Ka-Bar Knife Pictures Here

Is that compass removable from the kydex?

I would think that if the compass were left in the kydex, the compass would be useless due to the magnetic influence of the steel of either blade in proximity and/or the steel rivet/screw holding the compass holder to the sheath.

You are correct, the blade does interfere when it is on the sheath. It is removable. Slides on and off easily enough, though it is held tightly and won’t come off on its own. Here it is before I shaped the kydex better...

3ClaMmb.jpg

Well I found another project. This one is gonna be ruff. But it was cheap cheap.The springs are tight and I love the serrated blade. I want this one to be a daily user. I think its stag but not to sure. The ends have come up a bit. I think I can reglue and peen the scale pins.

So I spent some time cleaning up my serrated hunter. I used thin gorilla glue behind the scales and squeezed them down between a leather glove in the vice untill it set. Then I penned the scale pins tight. I worked the knife over with a combo of scotch brite pads and steel wool. Cleaning inside and out. Next I sharpened the serrations with my stick rod and sharpened the main blade. Final step was giving it a good coating of mineral oil. All I need now is a Kabar badge for the scale and a Kabar leather sheath. It has that aged look that I like but completely functional. My new EDC. Well worth the 12 bucks and an hour of my time.
Before
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153781516@N05/
AFTER
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153781516@N05/

So I spent some time cleaning up my serrated hunter. I used thin gorilla glue behind the scales and squeezed them down between a leather glove in the vice untill it set. Then I penned the scale pins tight. I worked the knife over with a combo of scotch brite pads and steel wool. Cleaning inside and out. Next I sharpened the serrations with my stick rod and sharpened the main blade. Final step was giving it a good coating of mineral oil. All I need now is a Kabar badge for the scale and a Kabar leather sheath. It has that aged look that I like but completely functional. My new EDC. Well worth the 12 bucks and an hour of my time.
Before

AFTER

Awesome job, Tanker! :thumbsup:

Oldie but a goodie, received from my aunt after my uncle passed away last year. Blades are in pretty good shape. Not sharpened away. Snap is good, blades are tight. Don't know much about it. I've oiled it but not cleaned it or anything.

Just picked up a D2 extreme so of course I have to play around. First is a 20º convex edge. Marking the edge with a dry erase marker. I will work it down untill no more blue is showing and a burr comes up. Then I will start gradually changing belts on my Work Sharp KO untill im satisfied. Than strop it.

Last edited:
Just picked up a D2 extreme so of course I have to play around. First is a 20º convex edge. Marking the edge with a dry erase marker. I will work it down untill no more blue is showing and a burr comes up. Then I will start gradually changing belts on my Work Sharp KO untill im satisfied. Than strop it.

Nice job, Tanker. I’d be all over this if it wasn’t serrated.

Nice job, Tanker. I’d be all over this if it wasn’t serrated.
Yeah tell me about it. I wish Kabar would have made one. I picked it up cheap cheap. I wanted to learn sharpening techniques on D2 steel. Definitely toothy until you hit it with some diamond then it pops hair. I did get a nice mirror polish on the convex but it took some time.

Sharpened ,stripped and ready :thumbsup: looks great Tanker!

Back