KA-BAR Photo Thread - Post Your Ka-Bar Knife Pictures Here

I have to agree. The Parangatang is probably my best chopper. Hate the handle on the parang but love the same handle on the Baconmaker go figure

Last edited:
Mk1 I rehandled a long time ago.No longer have this one.
Of the approximately 30-35 I have rehandled,this is one of only two I did with 1/8 inch guards.
(no pics of the others due to extortion bucket)
Most of the others have 1/4 inch brass,except four I did with Copper,and two "Lightweights".
(The two lightweights had T-6 alloy guards and carbon-fiber "Bradford Angier" style handles)
These are at the top of my list to rehandle this year.
Even though I like the 1095CV steel,(tough,easy to sharpen,good edge holding),I would not say no to a version in D2!
yTfM2Q2.jpg

This Ontario 498 belongs to a mate that got it second hand in the late 80's.
He brought it to me to get the handle fixed,as after 30 years of service she had developed a fair bit of "racing slop".
He wanted a handle like my old Randall 1-7,so instead of doing it myself,I got him to make it,with me tutoring.
Showed him how to disassemble the handle,clean a bit of rust off the tang and blade,then soak in vinegar for a few hours.
While the blade was having a bath,got the brass cut,drilled and squared for the tang.
For the pommel I use T-6 alloy,cut and slotted and drilled for pin and a lanyard.
Next I got him to cut leather washers (1/4 inch thick) and slotted to fit the tang.
After assembly with 2 part epoxy,he shaped the handle to something like my 1-7.
As his hands are bigger than mine,I was adamant that he check for hand fit as he went.
Sanding to shape by hand,polish the brass and alloy,beeswax on the leather.
A little choil cut in,resharpened at 20 degrees per side on the diamonds.
Now she's tight,scary sharp and good to go for the next thirty years.
He is very pleased with the result,especially considering it was his first time doing something like this.
The sheath is the original Ontario one,however he has since made a new one(with my help)from the same leather used for the washers.
sioTbQk.jpg

Last edited:
1271 I used to have.Gave it to a young fella who had joined the Infantry a while back.
When I got this,I was surprised to see a hollow ground blade.
I though it was like the 1217,and was a little worried that a blade this thin would not have enough steel to support a hollow grind.
While doing a bit of research on this knife,I read somewhere that Toooj designed it,or at the very least had a heavy hand in doing so.
I thought to myself,'Well,if Toooj and/or his minions think this blade is good enough to carry a hollow grind,then who am I to argue?!'
Besides,I'm sure Toooj and his minions would have tested it and given it the thumbs up.
I used this knife for about a year,and the hollow grind,as well as the rest of it,help up just fine!
Slices like a straight razor,stabs like dagger,tough and sharp.
The clip can be sharpened and used for heavy cutting or light chopping if need be.

She's got a touch more reach than my Randall 14,but without the weight.
A far more ergonomic handle,with nice grip and balance.
I dont mind the serrations,as they do come in handy for cutting webbing,thick rope,rubber hose,hessian,even light sheet metal!
The guard is nice and strong,easliy protects the hand and fingers whilst knife is performing mayhem.

The sheath is not so good. Neither of the handle straps fitted the handle on this one.Snaps and rivets rust easily.
No Molle/Pals either,but for the price,this didnt bother me.
This was easily fixed by swapping it out with a Spec-Ops Brand Combat Master (long) which will take this 8 inch blade with ease.

If any changes I could have,they would be:-
Serrations as an option,PLEASE!!
A kydex sheath,like those for the 1217.
More colours than the 'Henry Ford' option.("You can have any colour you want,so long as it's black.")
How about Folige Green(to match the multicam uniforms) and the Tan/coyote Brown?

I like this knife a lot,and to me is very much a 'Dark Horse' in the Ka-Bar lineup.
Much overshadowed by the more famous and legendary 1217 and its offshoots.
Even though I like my 1-7,If these were available,I would have very much preferred this knife.:thumbsup:
L0mhFrW.jpg

1271 I used to have.Gave it to a young fella who had joined the Infantry a while back.
When I got this,I was surprised to see a hollow ground blade.
I though it was like the 1217,and was a little worried that a blade this thin would not have enough steel to support a hollow grind.
While doing a bit of research on this knife,I read somewhere that Toooj designed it,or at the very least had a heavy hand in doing so.
I thought to myself,'Well,if Toooj and/or his minions think this blade is good enough to carry a hollow grind,then who am I to argue?!'
Besides,I'm sure Toooj and his minions would have tested it and given it the thumbs up.
I used this knife for about a year,and the hollow grind,as well as the rest of it,help up just fine!
Slices like a straight razor,stabs like dagger,tough and sharp.
The clip can be sharpened and used for heavy cutting or light chopping if need be.

She's got a touch more reach than my Randall 14,but without the weight.
A far more ergonomic handle,with nice grip and balance.
I dont mind the serrations,as they do come in handy for cutting webbing,thick rope,rubber hose,hessian,even light sheet metal!
The guard is nice and strong,easliy protects the hand and fingers whilst knife is performing mayhem.

The sheath is not so good. Neither of the handle straps fitted the handle on this one.Snaps and rivets rust easily.
No Molle/Pals either,but for the price,this didnt bother me.
This was easily fixed by swapping it out with a Spec-Ops Brand Combat Master (long) which will take this 8 inch blade with ease.

If any changes I could have,they would be:-
Serrations as an option,PLEASE!!
A kydex sheath,like those for the 1217.
More colours than the 'Henry Ford' option.("You can have any colour you want,so long as it's black.")
How about Folige Green(to match the multicam uniforms) and the Tan/coyote Brown?

I like this knife a lot,and to me is very much a 'Dark Horse' in the Ka-Bar lineup.
Much overshadowed by the more famous and legendary 1217 and its offshoots.
Even though I like my 1-7,If these were available,I would have very much preferred this knife.:thumbsup:
L0mhFrW.jpg
I might be wrong but I think that’s called Big Brother

No Tanker,the Big Brother is a model 2211.(Kraton)
It has a 9 and a 1/2 inch blade with serrations on the spine.
I dont have one of those,waiting until they make them with flat spine,no serrations.

This thread has me carrying my Mk1 today. It has seen some use around the farm. I stripped the blade, guard, and pommel and took the lacquer off the grip so it no longer slips in my hand during use. I also lowered the keeper strap so it hangs more easily and is accessible when I wear a jacket.

aowRGHP.jpeg

Last edited:
"Dogs Breakfast" I rehandled last year.
Blade mods were already done when I got it.
w5pVGFl.jpg

Slight mods to a new old stock 1217.
Two leather washers replaced at the rear of the handle.
(Note the pommel is pinned all the way through.)
New spacers as the originals would no longer fit.
A very light choil,and coating removed.
zFZ3EcL.jpg

Saved the best until last.
One of two 1219C2's I inherited from my Great Uncle.
Guard marked USN MK2 RCC (Made by Robeson Cutlery Company)
Scabbard has a little crack near the tip.
Leather shows salt,but still tight.
Blade has honest wear,but still very sharp.
In his Journal,he states he was given this by an American G.I. from Florida he befriended.
(This G.I. is, I believe, the fellow that started my Great Uncles interest in Randall knives in the early 70's!)
6G60VkP.jpg

The other of the 1219C2's.
Guard marked USN MK2 Camillus.N.Y.
Very slight finish loss on the blade,and may have been light sharpened.
The rest looks like she was made yesterday!
His Journal says he won this in a card game.
Well,that's all the pics I have for now.
Stay tuned as I will post more pics of weekend projects when I get around to doing them.
Thankyou for your attention. :thumbsup:
D85exsk.jpg

Back