Recommendation? Ka-Bar Tanto (1245) - how good is it this knife?

Hello, I am considering buying this knife, I have few questions:

1. Is it suitable for cutting and chopping?
2. How hard and durable is it?
3. Is it easy to sharpen?
4. Is it a purchase for years?

https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1245

If this is not the right section on this topic, please move to the appropriate one.

Best Regards.

I'll play

1. Is it suitable for cutting and chopping? Cutting yes, chopping no.
2. How hard and durable is it? Compared to what? Uncooked pasta?
3. Is it easy to sharpen? Not so much
4. Is it a purchase for years? Unless you sell it or loose it.

I'll play

1. Is it suitable for cutting and chopping? Cutting yes, chopping no.
2. How hard and durable is it? Compared to what? Uncooked pasta?
3. Is it easy to sharpen? Not so much
4. Is it a purchase for years? Unless you sell it or loose it.

Pretty much. Durability is a function of a number of things and any well-designed blade takes into account likely use and the buyer staying within design limitations. The geometry isn't good for chopping and 1095 hardened to Rockwell 58 may be chippy, or at least chippy compared to other options. A Kabar I can recommend for chopping is their kukri and it will still cut, but I wouldn't want to shave with it out of the box nor after felling a small tree. Others may disagree because we can, but ideally? It wouldn't be on my top ten choices for what you describe. As a fighter? Yeah, I can do nicely with it, just not fighting branches.

The knife properly used as designed and cared for will outlive you.

So cutting, yes. Chopping? I think I'd rather beat myself with an axe handle. Everything about this knife screams "DON'T DO IT". I mean you could, but why?
Sharpening? Depends on your skill level.

I recommend this one instead if you want durable. I only held this knife in store, but it felt really good in hand. It's priced right also. Name is on the picture. None of these are really true choppers. But the CS is heavier.
Just noticed it's in D2 steel, so it will be harder to sharpen than the kabar.

39LSFCT.jpg

Last edited:
1. Is it suitable for cutting and chopping?
2. How hard and durable is it?
3. Is it easy to sharpen?
4. Is it a purchase for years?

1. It'll cut well. It won't come close to replacing a hatchet but it'll chop better than a mora.
  2. RC58 as reported. I find KA-BAR's 1095 to be durable enough for knife tasks and some non-knife tasks.
  3. I think 1095CV is very easy to sharpen.
  4. Absolutely.

Thank you for all the answers, would you personally choose this knife? In general, is it worth buying?

It is suitable for cutting, but I wouldn't choose it for chopping.

It is durable enough to last you a lifetime with proper use and care. Is it worth buying? Well, only you will be able to answer this.

The steel is easy to sharpen. The serrations and tanto tip might give some folks a bit of difficulty, but sharpening is definitely doable.

Again, with proper care and use, it can last you a lifetime.

Would I buy this knife? I have a few of these lying around, in various sizes, but not in the tanto point. I enjoy mine very much.

Would I buy it for chopping? No, I would select a Becker BK-7 or a BK-9 over this piece.

This tanto version seems longer than regular kabar. The knife is not full tang. It's weak point is by the guard. You can still use it hard just gotta keep in mind the weakness. I chopped and battoned with regular kabar, but it hurts your hand chopping. It doesn't have enough weight distributed forward for chopping and is made for a different purpose, to be a light fighting knife.
It's fun and adequate otherwise. I like how it carries. If you like it get it, it's a good starting point.
Welcome to the forum.

If you can go to a knife store, even better.

J jog221 i think, at the heart of what you’re asking, is that you want to know if the knife is a good fit for your purposes. The problem i’m having is that you don’t tell us what those purposes are. You say “chopping and cutting,” but that could mean chopping and cut wood, or vegetables, or as a fighting knife. All of those have very different needs and dictate different shapes and grinds of the metal.

If the primary job for this knife is woodcraft/camping I’d say it’s not the right tool for the job, and as others mentioned, something from the Becker or Jarosz lineup from Kabar would be much more appropriate.

J jog221 i think, at the heart of what you’re asking, is that you want to know if the knife is a good fit for your purposes. The problem i’m having is that you don’t tell us what those purposes are. You say “chopping and cutting,” but that could mean chopping and cut wood, or vegetables, or as a fighting knife. All of those have very different needs and dictate different shapes and grinds of the metal.

If the primary job for this knife is woodcraft/camping I’d say it’s not the right tool for the job, and as others mentioned, something from the Becker or Jarosz lineup from Kabar would be much more appropriate.

It also matters what his priorities are. What's more important, chopping and cutting for woodcraft or having a tanto. I'm not sure which comes first here for him. I have a RAT-7 which is decent and inexpensive, far less than many tantos and it's a go-to. I could also cut with my Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe, but that would not be ideal, but if I had to I could process wood and eat dinner with it, then after a quick touch up with a puck, shave. Would I want to? Well if I had to have an axe, I could.

Chopping with knife, this is stupidity from my side, for chopping is axe, i have one made by blacksmith :D no Fiskars, Husqvarna or other :poop: What Kabars in similar price have full tang? It can be not Tanto, Regular classic shape.

In line with everyone else. I would add that the traditional profile, without serrations, will be easier to sharpen. The tanto-design has no benefit, other than offer a chisel-type edge (why?) for a field knife. I have some tanto blades that I like, but my general utility edges are traditional. I went through the "serrated phase" too, but unless you plan on cutting rope or heavy cord on a regular basis, the partial serrations are a maintenance PITA, that don't offer much over a properly sharpened plain edge.

Go for it. It will do all that stuff. Like others have said, not a big chopper.
The tanto is nice and pokey, but not typically needed unless gonna be poking a lot.

If you want a bit more chopping ability look at the BK7 or Turok.

I have one of these knives and I love it, i don't chop down trees with it but it works a general camp knife. I know there are better options but for light fishing and cutting small branches it has performed well. My version of camping is not survival, it's in a tent and near water so that give you an idea of my camping trips with the wife. As stated get an axe for chopping and this knife should do everything else well.

Back